PDA

View Full Version : Signature size rules - Is your sig too big?

Spiderman
Fri Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
It seems that there are more and more signatures getting bigger and bigger, some taking up almost a whole page (depending on your screen resolution). This is starting to get out of hand and needs to stop, now.

Here are the new rules for sig sizes:

Overall height: Cannot make your user info box (that appears on the left beside your posts) taller than it would be with a one-line text-only response, in regular font size, without a sig. Here is an example using my user info box & sig... a one-line, text-only response with my sig is no bigger than it is without it:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/user_info_sample.jpg

Edit: further clarification, taken from post #8: The concern here is the overall sig height, text and image(s) combined. If your sig consisted of ONLY an image, I suppose it could be up to 175 pixels tall (I say "suppose" because I'm guessing at the available space with an avatar and profile fields filled out). If you want text and an image, then the height should be reduced accordingly.
Here's another way to look at it - when you're editing your Signature, and Previewing your changes, the bottom of the sig box should not be lower than the bottom of the "box" framing "Pictures & Albums" in the menu to the left:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/Help/MaxSigHeight.png

Edit: If you have a combination of text and images and have run out of vertical room for your sig, but have room horizontally, send me a PM and I can help you format it to take advantage of that horizontal space, like mine.

Overall Width of Images: 700 pixels wide. This is to ensure the pages display properly. If multiple images are used, the total space taken by all images should not exceed 700 pixels.

Maximum Image Filesize: The total filesize of signature images, including cases where multiple images are used, should not exceed 60K. This is to ensure that users with low-bandwidth connections can still enjoy the site.

No-coast-punk
Fri Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
THANK THE LORD!

Bueller
Sat Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
I have them turned off, tooo much!

Spiderman
Fri May 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Bump/reminder 8)

InlineSIX24
Sat May 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Forum sigs in general are way too huge. Just a small graphic w/ a link, or use the graphic as the link looks way better.

Yellow Bullet
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM
*confused* So you dont want it to be too tall, then how tall do you want it to be? like on my other forum its 600x110... And you want yours to be 700x___?

~Barn~
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
*confused* So you dont want it to be too tall, then how tall do you want it to be? like on my other forum its 600x110... And you want yours to be 700x___?

Just be reasonable man... No need to get Bob all "ruled up" and start giving specifics for us to follow. ;)

Spiderman
Tue Aug 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM

The concern here is the overall sig height, text and image(s) combined. If your sig consisted of ONLY an image, I suppose it could be up to 175 pixels tall (I say "suppose" because I'm guessing at the available space with an avatar and profile fields filled out). If you want text and an image, then the height should be reduced accordingly.

Capiche?

Spiderman
Sat May 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Update:
Here's another way to look at it - when you're editing your Signature, and Previewing your changes, the bottom of the sig box should not be lower than the bottom of the "box" framing "Pictures & Albums" in the menu to the left:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/Help/MaxSigHeight.png

Edit: If you have a combination of text and images and have run out of vertical room for your sig, but have room horizontally, send me a PM and I can help you format it to take advantage of that horizontal space, like mine.

#1Townie
Sat May 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
IM GOOD!!!!!!! Lol

GMR
Sat May 18th, 2013, 06:33 PM
IM GOOD!!!!!!! Lol

no ur not good u should be banned because of your signature

#1Townie
Sat May 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM
oh??? most people find it funny.

Wrider
Sat May 18th, 2013, 11:43 PM
oh??? most people find it funny.

The one on the left is hilarious. The one on the right is ghey.

Peanut_EOD
Sun May 19th, 2013, 06:04 AM
:pointlaugh:

daemon
Sun May 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Meh....

#1Townie
Sun May 19th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Damn I guess its just kick townie in the dick weekend. Fuck you guys I'm going home!!

Sean
Sun May 19th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I turned signatures off awhile back. To many stupid gifs. Between that, and blocking the posts of certain members, it makes wasting time on the forum more enjoyable. :up:

Wrider
Sun May 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Damn I guess its just kick townie in the dick weekend. Fuck you guys I'm going home!!

Ohhhh don't pretend you don't love it! I know I don't have the leather mask on, but it's still a good ole kick in the dick! :D

#1Townie
Sun May 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Ohhhh don't pretend you don't love it! I know I don't have the leather mask on, but it's still a good ole kick in the dick! :D

Black leather????? Now youre talking.

Ghosty
Sun May 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Your signature size guidelines are actually quite generous, glad they're enforced. On CRN, I only allow a total height of 160 pixels max incl. text lines and pics, and NO animated crap allowed in sigs. Makes threads much more streamlined, and the board also runs smoother for users.

Avatars on the other hand, we allow 200x150 portrait style. Just allows users more fun and better quality looking avatars instead the 1990's looking tiny ones here. (90x90) Just a friendly suggestion, no biggie.

rforsythe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM
The only issue with bumping the avatar size is it makes every post block larger. In any event, these size guidelines are carryovers from multiple versions of forum code we've used, dating back to the PHPBB days, we just have never altered them since then.

White wings
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 02:18 PM
For a new guy here and to the state, this is extremely helpful...Thank you