PDA

View Full Version : how much to re-jet a bike?

Fly boy
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I was wondering how much it is to re-jet, or dyno-jet, whatever its called, for a bike. I talked to Yami store up here and they want $250 to jet, and you get 3 pulls. Is there cheaper in CO? also, is worth re-jetting a bike if it was bought in Boulder?

~Barn~
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I would say that price sounds about right for the install of the new needles and the 3 dyno runs. Call around to the usual suspects and see what they say. Twin Peaks, TFOG, TK, Faster, etc...

And I would say it's worth rejetting a bike if it has an aftermarket exhaust and/or an aftermarket filter. My carb'd R1 had some serious hi-altitude issues after putting in a K&N and a simple slip-on Akrapovic can. It would start running out of steam and pulsing real bad about 3-5k from redline, during canyon jaunts. I never put in a jet kit before selling it, although I did buy one. :think:

Anyway... I'm guessing those problems I had during mtn. rides were being caused by too much air and not enough fuel, that the kit would have fixed. Although I really don't know the in's and out's of carburetors. All I know is F.I. is the best invention since the helmet. :headbang:

rybo
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ben,

If you're talking about the pNp, what is it doing now that it wasn't doing this summer that you are worried about? The HP your bike was making at the twin peaks day is well within the range of acceptable for a bike that age and size. If you think you are going to pick up HP, I wouldn't count on it.

Call TK and see what their suggestion is.

Bikes are jetted quite lean from the factory (more air than fuel) to help meet emmissions standards in the US and throughout the world. Re-Jetting may not get you additional HP, but it may make the bike more rideable in terms of transition from idle, to midrange to high end.

TK may have done enough F2's over the years to be able to get you well within the ballpark without using the dyno.

S

Fly boy
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Scott,

Wasn't talking about the pNp. I went to the darkside and bought a 2004 V Star 1100. There hasn't been any pipe/intake upgrade, but I figured by the summer I would put pipes, maybe a K&N, and was asking about the Jetting.
So, do you think jetting this bike after at least a pipe upgrade is worth it?

rybo
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Ben,

yeah, it's probably worth it. Bikes are usually jetted on the lean side from the factory, if you improve intake and exhaust performance it will only get worse. Start with the mods you want to do and see how it runs. It's only got two carbs, so it should be slightly less money to get it done than the PnP.

Check with Clarkie on here too, he has a dyno and does some killer motor work, usually aprillias, but he may have some good advice for you.

S

Mel
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I went to the darkside and bought a 2004 V Star 1100.
You went to the darkside, yet somehow, you are still just as gay, if not more so....

Fly boy
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
scott,

so do the re-jet before pipes and such?

mel.... I got nothin

~Barn~
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
scott,
so do the re-jet before pipes and such?

Nooo!... Do all that stuff first. If you rejet and then fiddle with the airflow with pipes and filters, your carb work just became worthless.

Start with the mods you want to do and see how it runs.

Fly boy
Wed Dec 27th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I want an Intake, and to bust out the baffles, then a jet kit.

irdave
Thu Dec 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Couldn't recommend Aaron Clark (Clarkie) more. Based around Longmont.

http://clarkiemotoworks.com/index.html