PDA

View Full Version : battery problems????????????????

wicked 954 rr
Fri Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
hey check this i dont know if anyone else has ever had this problem, but i'm having major battery probs. on my 99 r1 i replaced the battery about umm oct or so last yr. already 3 times since them my battery just doesn't the juice to start up anymore. it start to go then give out and die. i've taken it to excel each time and they have run test on the battery and the electrical system and everything comes back fine, teh batter holds a charge and then a few weeks later dies again. anyone else have this same problem?

Anonymous
Fri Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
How often do you ride it & for how long?

If the answers are "Every once in a while" and "Not for very long", it could be your voltage regulator - I had a similar problem on my R6 - thought it was the battery, but TFOG figured it out real quick :up: 8) - bring it to them & they'll get to the bottom of it!

GixxStunna
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:24 AM
I agree with spiderman had the same prob with my 02 I barely rode and that was the problem .

wicked 954 rr
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
nah i talked to todd at excel and he said they did check it and it's holding voltage so that's not the prob. anyone know where i can get a battery tender jr for cheap?

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
i dont know what to tell you my 92 F2 sits for 3-4 months and still has the power to start. it is curiuos that a different bike would act that way. maybe there is something inherent to the r1 that drains the power. seriously i have gone a long time between rides and my battery is 4 yrs. old. maybe i just got lucky
big

Anonymous
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
nah i talked to todd at excel and he said they did check it and it's holding voltageUmm, that wouldn't test the regulator - the problem I'm talking about has nothing to do with your battery being able to hold a charge. You need to put a tester on there before you start it to check the voltage, and once it's running. When running it should be reading more than 12 volts (close to 14 if I remember correctly). If it's around where it was with the engine off (probably less), then the problem is your regulator.

GixxStunna
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Exactly what I was told Spiderman and the problemo was fixed.

1000RR
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:13 PM
This may or may not be relevent, but on my RR the charging system for the battery does not put out more juice than the bike needs to run (i.e actually recharge the batt) until the engine is over 5k rpm. You can actually drain the battery by just cruising around town

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:23 PM
who cruises at under 5000 rpm???? squatters.... :lol:

Anonymous
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM
This may or may not be relevent, but on my RR the charging system for the battery does not put out more juice than the bike needs to run (i.e actually recharge the batt) until the engine is over 5k rpm. You can actually drain the battery by just cruising around town5K RPM sounds a bit high, but the bottom line is, simply idling a car or bike does not generate enough power to charge the battery. Usually around 2K RPM is sufficcient to charge.

wicked 954 rr
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
so yea the checks have been done and it holds 13 volts while running. i haven't had problems since i got the bike back but we'll see what happens. thank for all your input.

macktastic brake grabber
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 08:29 PM
well......... you could buy a hundah :lol:

BluMille
Thu Apr 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
The Digital Gauge cluster on my Mille will drain the battery enough so it won't start the bike after about 3-4 weeks of just sitting. It's cause the cluster uses the juice to keep the user settings, and numbers such as the average speed, max speed, yadada. I don't know if the R1 cluster does the same, but I would expect so. I just use a battery tender and it all works great.

By the way, I picked up the float charger from Harbor Freight for about $8, and it has been doing an excellent job!