PDA

View Full Version : Got any plans for rides this year?

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Ok, so while we're waiting for the snow-packed and slush-filled streets to look like our Colorado streets again, ie. safe enough for riding, I thought maybe we could talk about a ride or two you plan on doing this year.

I have no idea how many riders here actually enjoy long trips on their bikes. I know many of you go on group rides out of Morrison. I was wondering how many of us also like those small group, or solo rides that may take all day, or even a coupla days? Oh, and then of course, there's groups that take the trip out to the "Dragon" every year, as well.

So, let's see...how to start my dreaming of better days and fun riding...hmmmm?

Well, one ride I'd like to do goes from Loveland (where I live), up through Ft. Collins and then up Poudre Canyon to Walden. Then from Walden to Kremmling. Kremmling to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and then home again through Thompson Canyon to Loveland. That would take about a day long, especially if I stop for lunch and pics along the way.

There's a coupla stops where you can get some amazing scenery like on the other side of Cameron Pass before getting to Walden. There's a ranger station and a moose made completely of barbed wire standing out front. Then there's Grand Lake Lodge. It's been around since the early 1900's. They serve an amazing bowl of Baked French Onion soup. The scenery from the lodge is heavenly, too. Up on top of Trail Ridge, there are a coupla hikes to the tops of a coupla ridges. The hikes aren't too long, and when you get to the top, the views are 360 and absolutely breath-taking.

So, what d'ya plan on doing this year? Trips? Races? Weekend group rides up the canyon and back?

The GECCO
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well, one ride I'd like to do goes from Loveland (where I live), up through Ft. Collins and then up Poudre Canyon to Walden. Then from Walden to Kremmling. Kremmling to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and then home again through Thompson Canyon to Loveland.

I usually try to do this ride at least once a year, thought instead of going through Kremmling I take 125 from Walden straight to Granby, that's an awesome road. I've done it in as little as 4 hours, but that's at a pretty spirited pace and stopping only for gas. It usually takes about 6-7 hours at a normal pace and with regular stops.

Fly boy
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I have a couple rides in the works. One is heading up to Montana going through yellow stone. The other is going up to sturgis with a couple bikes and a follow vehicle for the beer :)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Check it out:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, ride the Continental Divide...now, that may be something I'll have to think seriously about. Sounds absolutely wonderful, too. Thanks, Jeff.

Oh, yeah and Gecco, that's the road I meant (125). I think I was confused about a trip I took coming from the south through Silverthorn last summer.

I've also wondered about going through Yellow Stone and then heading up to Glacier Natl. Park in Montana.

Scruff Dog
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I plan on doing the big Wyoming loop this summer. North to Devils Tower, west to Yellowstone, south to Flamming Gorge, and southeast to home. Wyoming is a great state if you stay out of the middle. This would probably be a 4 day trip.

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
i have the group ride in red lodge,montana planned in early july.
i also once a year do a quick trip through trail ridge road.
this year as well will be the cfrsr group rides.
steamboat and southern.
other than that,the typical weekend rides(where i will try to slow down)and a couple side adventures to try some new roads.
i'm getting bored with the same ones.
i have a friend that lives in westminster and there are a few roads around him i would like to sample.
golden gate and a few others

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Speaking of south...how 'bout the "Million Dollar Highway"? Down by Durango, Silverton, Telluride? Also, if ya want some "cliff-hangers", how about Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I haven't been on those roads in several years. Not sure what condition they are in, but they may be worth the bother soon.

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
i don't know any of those routes.
care to show me and freda around.
i promise to behave

Speaking of south...how 'bout the "Million Dollar Highway"? Down by Durango, Silverton, Telluride? Also, if ya want some "cliff-hangers", how about Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I haven't been on those roads in several years. Not sure what condition they are in, but they may be worth the bother soon.

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
i don't know any of those routes.
care to show me and freda around.
i promise to behave

I'd love to, Mike. Warning, though. They are much longer routes and in Southern CO. So, they may be overnight trips at best. But, since this is your first full year here, you'll be blown away with some of the scenery.

I'm thinking about saving up. Being a teacher and with 3 kids kinda throws a wrench into my plans if I wait til Spring to start saving. Keep in touch, though.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Check it out:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html

Yeah, we're gonna do that Steamboat ride again.....Right Jeff?:)

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
I'd love to, Mike. Warning, though. They are much longer routes and in Southern CO. So, they may be overnight trips at best. But, since this is your first full year here, you'll be blown away with some of the scenery.

I'm thinking about saving up. Being a teacher and with 3 kids kinda throws a wrench into my plans if I wait til Spring to start saving. Keep in touch, though.
saving up????
overnight????
heck yeah....i'm up for it

Stark
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
golden gate and a few others
Golden Gate's still my favorite ride near town, enjoy! Go left at the end and celebrate a nice morning ride with a buffet lunch and an afternoon of poker =)

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
an afternoon of poker =)
after a long ride....i rarely have the energy for that:)

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
saving up????
overnight????
heck yeah....i'm up for it

Here's an idea:

Take out your Colorado map. See if you can follow this route.

Start out going down to C470 and take the hwy285 turnoff going south.
South on 285 down to Buena Vista and then Salida.
Keep going south until you reach Monte Vista.
Then go west to Durango.
Take hwy550 (the Million Dollar Highway) north to Silverton and then Montrose.
From Montrose, go East to Gunnison (part of this is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison) and then Salida again.
Then start back north to Granite, Aspen, Carbondale, and eventually Glenwood Springs.
Then take I-70 all the way back to I-25 and home again.

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
okay!!!!
so that would be an overnighter!!!

when planned????

Here's an idea:

Then go west to Durango.
From Montrose, go East to Gunnison (part of this is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison) and then Salida again.
Then start back north to Granite, Aspen, Carbondale, and eventually Glenwood Springs.

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
I have no idea, Mike. That was just a for instance, spur of the moment trip plan I came up with this morning in between classes.:)

But, if I were to do something like that then I would plan on making it an overnight. I would also wait for summer weather to make that trip. There are several high mountain passes on that trip that can get pretty chilly even in the summer, as well as rain/sleet. So, coming down from those passes into some heat would be a great way to warm back up quickly.

It is a good idea, though and I've got some time to consider it. I'll think about what area would be the best place to stop for the overnight and post that later.

swademaster
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Gonna try again this summer to get an Iron Butt ride done.

BigE
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm just hoping to be able to ride again and have my leg and ankle healed up!
Kathy, instead of coming back on 70 on your Durango trip, come back on 50 :D :up:
Been thinking of doing a SS1000-1500, not really an IB thing but just to get some miles in over a weekend...and I guess if I do it may as well send off for the sticker. :lol:

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm just hoping to be able to ride again and have my leg and ankle healed up!
Kathy, instead of coming back on 70 on your Durango trip, come back on 50 :D :up:
Been thinking of doing a SS1000-1500, not really an IB thing but just to get some miles in over a weekend...and I guess if I do it may as well send off for the sticker. :lol:

Hey Eric...you should come see us up at the Haus on Thursday if you've not got anything else to do. I've heard of the IB, but not the SS1000-1500. Maybe you could clue me in. I'm thinking I've got the stamina for something like that as well. I really love to ride...oh, have I said that before?;)

NUTZ
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I love doing these long rides. Last summer I did the Pouder canyon to Hwy 40 I think there was some other roads in there and down to I70. it was 330 miles form door to door lol. Some of my friends and I have been planing a ride to Vegas this summer. I'm up for any rides any one wants to go on. There so many good roads to Ride here in Colorado. I,ve also been thinking about some of the roads by Dinosare national park. Heres a site that has all the Colorado scenic hyways and byways http://www.coloradobyways.org/main.cfm. Pick some out and let me know.

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
I like that link, Brian. It's very helpful in deciding routes. I've been up to Dinosaur, but not since I was a kid and so I'm not sure I remember much. I like roads with a few twists in them as well as lotsa scenery. If I can get on a road that eventually leads into a canyon or two, I'm happy. I'll keep ya in mind come summertime.

NUTZ
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
I've nevr been up there lol. It just looks and sounds like a cool place to go lol. But like I said im up for any thing. I hope to put on 20,000 miles this summer, I've got to try and pass my dad up on miles. He's had his bike for a year now and has 20,000 miles on it now, but he does live in TX. Damn warm weather states lol:(

txrc51fatboy
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
yall really have me drooling, i cant wait to get moved up there, and do some of these rides with yall.
i do have one question, how are the fuel stations staged on these rides you speak of? 90 miles of easy riding and i am out. 80 hard riding i am out.
i will need fuel stops every 50-70 miles or so just to be safe

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, we're gonna do that Steamboat ride again.....Right Jeff?:)

Yeppers :up: And we'll take Dalton just to keep him from hurting himself :D Oh -------------- and you and Doug can ride with Bruce :siesta:

InlineSIX24
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'd be up for the Grand Lake/Trail Ridge ride. There is a couple of restaurants in town that would have better food than the lodge though.

mtnairlover
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
I'd be up for the Grand Lake/Trail Ridge ride. There is a couple of restaurants in town that would have better food than the lodge though.

For sure. Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's on the far end of town on the corner before going round down to the boat dock. Mostly Mexican menu, but good eats. Then there's this open air restaurant I like to stop at sometimes in the middle of town on the south side of the boardwalk. And, last year, I finally noticed the Bear's Den (I think that's the name) on the western edge of town as you're riding in. Yeppers, lots of good places to stop for a bite.

I'll have to remember to post up when I go come June...dayum snowy weather making me dream about riding.:banghead::)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Poncho & Lefty's

NUTZ
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
yall really have me drooling, i cant wait to get moved up there, and do some of these rides with yall.
i do have one question, how are the fuel stations staged on these rides you speak of? 90 miles of easy riding and i am out. 80 hard riding i am out.
i will need fuel stops every 50-70 miles or so just to be safe

Your just going to be one of those guy that passes every thing except a gas station lol. i can usaly go 130 miles or so on a tank. some times its a strech for me lol, but im sure you will do just fine.

txrc51fatboy
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
i do know my gas milage will be better at altitude, but i cant pass up a gas station. 100 miles and i am pushing this beast

NUTZ
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
lol you'll learn to coast down hills and stuff like that. it helps on the fuel econmy lol. i had the busa down in texas last year and i dont think there was much diffrence in mileage.

Mel
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cathy: we will make some plans....I wouldn't mind that trail ridge ride with you depending on when/who else is going. I will also be the one stopping at all the gas stations if I ride the beast.
And maybe a weekend trip sometime...as long as someone along for the ride wants to give me a massage when we stop ;)

I still love the ride over Kenosha and into Breckenridge for lunch. And I need to take a camera with me for one of the rides towards Mt Evans so that I can take some pics of the bike(s) against that backdrop.

NUTZ
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Mt Evans is another good short ride that close to town lol. I've had tones of fun on that road!

daemon
Wed Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
i certainly would love to have a larger group than last year for the trail ridge run.
4 cruisers and 4 sport bikers.
now the rain wasn't all that bad,but it took awhile to get back that day.
i took lots of good pics.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/daemon_2006/trail%20ridge%20road/P8060003.jpg
anybody wanna ride now????
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/daemon_2006/trail%20ridge%20road/P8060014.jpg

grand lake....
we are getting ready to go into the resturaunt you were talking about kathy.
i don't remember the name either
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/daemon_2006/trail%20ridge%20road/P8060016.jpg

mtnairlover
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Cathy: we will make some plans....I wouldn't mind that trail ridge ride with you depending on when/who else is going. I will also be the one stopping at all the gas stations if I ride the beast.
And maybe a weekend trip sometime...as long as someone along for the ride wants to give me a massage when we stop ;)

I still love the ride over Kenosha and into Breckenridge for lunch. And I need to take a camera with me for one of the rides towards Mt Evans so that I can take some pics of the bike(s) against that backdrop.

I had a blast on that ride over Kenosha last year. So much fun. Massages? Welp...I do a pretty damn good job, but mayhaps someone with more "manly" fingers would be better.:eyebrows: I love my bike. It gets about 180 miles to the tank no matter where I ride...w00t! So here's to dreaming of warmer days.

asp_125
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cathy, I've done that Durango loop on two separate occasions. Once the Black Canyon / Aspen section the other time the Million Dollar Hwy section. If any of you haven't ridden either part, do so at some time. The Million Dollar Hwy loop around Telluride and over Red Mtn Pass is great fun, with corners like these:
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/gallery/files/2/5/CIMG1680.gif

mtnairlover
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. Yeppers, I know what I'm going to be dreaming of and planning whilst I wait for the snow to melt.

Kendo
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
A co -worker of mine and I went to Torrey Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrey,_Utah) a year ago and we are thinking about doing it again this year sometime in May and maybe again in September.

This ride was awesome, rode down to Dolores Colorado and stayed the night and then rode into Utah from the South East to Hanksville Utah, 110 miles of twisties and hardly any traffic and then to Torrey Utah which is near Capital Reef.

Then while we were out there we rode to Bryce Canyon
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/bryce.htm

that was awesome.....words cannot describe.

If anyone is interested in going let me know, I will post again when we start planning.

If you want to become ONE with your bike this is the ride to do it, you learn a lot about yourself and your bike, at least I did. I even did the ride on my Gixxer.

Kendo
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Some images....

mtnairlover
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I took my girls out to Moab UT last Spring break because I knew it was going to be way too hot during Summer break to go to that part of UT. If I could find the time off, I would definitely go. Those are some beautiful pics.

Sortarican
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I love that ride over Red Mountain pass into Darango, through the Delloras, into Utah. Just don't hit the canyons at dusk/dawn, unless you want to bag a deer with a bike.:yumyum:

I'm thinking of trying to organizing a ride & shoot up in Fairplay later in the spring. :sniper: :guns:

Ride up over Kenosha, go shooting, BBQ, ride back down via Hoosier pass/Brek.
Nice day trip. Or even overnight, the family cabin borders the Nat.Forest and sleeps about 12 (more if ya throw down sleeping bags on the floor and deck).

One drawback is the last 1/2 mile or so is on a maintained dirt road.
I know some people don't like to take their street tires across dirt.

Will post as a seperate thread later in the year.

Devaclis
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
What's a "motorcycle" and why are they being discussed on this board?

Sortarican
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
What's a "motorcycle" and why are they being discussed on this board?

Spoken like a guy who owns a Honda.:slappers:

(Yeah, I know, you put on 5X the miles I do a year, props given.:headbang: )

txrc51fatboy
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Here's an idea:

Then go west to Durango.

just checked my map. wow that would be a monster. but looks like a damn good time. i will drive it a few times befroe riding it

txrc51fatboy
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM
following it on google earth. 550 looks insane

leviathin
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM
A co -worker of mine and I went to Torrey Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrey,_Utah) a year ago and we are thinking about doing it again this year sometime in May and maybe again in September.

This ride was awesome, rode down to Dolores Colorado and stayed the night and then rode into Utah from the South East to Hanksville Utah, 110 miles of twisties and hardly any traffic and then to Torrey Utah which is near Capital Reef.

Then while we were out there we rode to Bryce Canyon
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/bryce.htm

that was awesome.....words cannot describe.

If anyone is interested in going let me know, I will post again when we start planning.

If you want to become ONE with your bike this is the ride to do it, you learn a lot about yourself and your bike, at least I did. I even did the ride on my Gixxer.

i would totaly go

Bat
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Overnighter to Glenwood Springs...riding, hot springs, playing, sleeping, riding...an almost perfect weekend. :)

Mel
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Overnighter to Glenwood Springs...riding, hot springs, playing, sleeping, riding...an almost perfect weekend. :)

I am in, assuming we have someone to give me that massage in the hot springs. Soo....who else is in? :angel:

leviathin
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
would anybody be interested in hitting the us 50, i was thinking about 600 miles a day, that would make it about 6 days from one side to the other, just over 3000 miles, was thinking about driving to cali towing the bikes, then taking off from there and having the towing vehicle follow (in case of break downs and what not) and then loading up again in maryland for the drive home, looking at 6 days of riding and 3 days of driving, thinking near the end of summer, if anybody is interested but has some obstacles in the way let me know what they are and maybe we can find a solution

NUTZ
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
thats insane right there but never the less if i had the gas money for that one i would do that too lol

leviathin
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
i rode 3000 miles this last summer and fall, i just feel like doing it all at once this coming summer

leviathin
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
and for those who are wondering, if your bike gets 40 miles to the gallon, at the national average of $2.33 a gallon, it would cost about $175 for gas on this trip

txrc51fatboy
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
throw in 2 sets of tires. start off with new set and have to get new set some where in missouri

Bat
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
and for those who are wondering, if your bike gets 40 miles to the gallon, at the national average of $2.33 a gallon, it would cost about $175 for gas on this trip

I average 65 to a gallon...'course I'd be a day behind everyone, lol! :doublefinger:

Yech, trailering the bike across the western states this summer sucked arse unto itself. Hotter than hell and some of it was so fricking ugly...blech...gawd, I'm glad I live here.

Going east would be cool though.

Er, um, have fun.

daemon
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
i'd have to stop off in illinois to visit old friends.
i hope to do this sometime next year.

hope!!!

mtnairlover
Fri Jan 5th, 2007, 07:52 AM
following it on google earth. 550 looks insane

It is if you're not used to CO mountains. I've been here steadily since '74 and driving here since '80. Heck, my Mom would make me drive in the mountains when I was 17, so she could snooze on our long trips. So, yeah, I love to ride on every road (with a few exceptions). 550 is also absolutely breathtaking.

mmhmm...definitely!;)

leviathin
Sun Jan 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
no takers on my road trip huh, well i will ask again when it is closer to the summer, so far i have two takers, so there is room for three more bikers, unless we could get another volunteer to drive another vehicle, i think it will be fun no matter how many people end up going but it would be awsome if we had like 10+ going cross country

vegasbound
Mon Jan 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well, like my screen name says, I'm planning on ridding from Denver to Las Vegas this summer...It's all about the ride, but you have to love the destination!!

I plan on getting there in two days, staying two day, and two days to get back...

Anyone down?

schnorbitz
Mon Jan 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm heading for the French/Swiss Alps - flying into London, picking up a bike and off into Europe for a week of fun! Some great scenery, good food and great beer. Some pcis from my trip in 04 - http://travel.webshots.com/album/221559521hhnsKK?start=0