PDA

View Full Version : SS1K- the cold one

Dysco
Wed Jan 15th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Depending on the weather...

Anyone up for next saturday (the 25th)? Leave ~0600. I have driving lights now- should be installed and tested by then. If you're interested, list your max range at 80MPH -20 miles.

My max range (-20) is around 220 miles. I'm thinking of an out and back to Topeka on I-70:

Denver to Burlington - ~180 miles

Burlington to Russel - 200

Russel to Topeka - 179

Total distance: 1100+

(per mapquest)

Harry- I'll do one with you when you're ready, I figure I need to start up the LD practice for the 1088 now... I need to be polished by june.

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM
You go boyyyyyyyy!!!!
I had someone give me a bearhug yesterday and give me a lovely setback!!!! R. arm no longer works Even the ribs hurt once again :cry:

Don't worry about me & the SS1K. I'll get it done. Worse case scenario I'll still be coast to coastin & 1088'n even if I don't get credit.

I just gotsta ride is all.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Mike & company-
There is very good interest in doing the SS1K this weekend,(weather permitin)

I believe with a nice steady pace and Ralph's range this can be done in 15 hours max. To make this happen, pit stops,(@ least the majority of them) need to be under 10 minutes. In fact, I believe you can do 1 of them in 3 minutes and then next in 8 minutes or so.

Some suggestions:
1) read the ss1k rules
2) drink fluids while riding
3)call your credit card company so they don't shut down your card after the 3rd time used.
4)take ibuprophen
5)have some sort of music

I may make this trip too,(30% chance) Sunday works better for me as I may be making a little purchase Saturday. Don't however let that stop you. I'll witness anyone that may need it @ any time

Dysco
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:46 AM
All- I've also heard that Sunday the 26th might work better. It might also give us better weather. I just got Sunday night off so I can do the ride on either... or both days.

Jeff and Henry?

Anonymous
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Ok, I think I can do this Sunday (definitely not saturday), I'm off Monday as a normal thing so I'll have lots of time to sleep.

However, this is health-dependent. I'm kicking a cold right now and riding for 15 hrs with that wouldn't be much fun at all, so if I get rid of it, then cool. I'd definitely like to, I just put the sargent seat and genmars on (along with a new windscreen and other goodies) and would like to try them out.

Harry are you ok to ride? What about your right arm injury? (bear hug ... uhh uh, sure ... :lol: )

Dysco
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Next Sunday, the 26th, right? I totally can't do this Sunday, the 19th. Are we talking about the same day? Looks like the weather will be decent then.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Next Sunday, the 26th, right? I totally can't do this Sunday, the 19th. Are we talking about the same day? Looks like the weather will be decent then.

Well shit now I'm confused too... Harry? Anyone? Bueller?

It's way too far out to tell what next weekend will look like weather-wise. Whatever you're seeing now could be completely opposite, so it might be best to keep the weekend open and decide next friday if we're doing sat or sun, or not at all cause there's 3 feet of snow.

Thoughts?

Dysco
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 09:40 AM
sorry about the confusion, I was trying to plan ahead with this thread.

Agree on the weather thing. If the low temp is above 20 and snow risk is minimum I'm going...

...on the 26th.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Well....i guess I goofed. I thought Mike was going this weekend. This Sunday is looking pretty good as Sat. night's low is not too bad and Sunday's supposed to be pretty warm.

I know Henry most likely can't ride this weekend.
Mike can't ride.
Jeff seems interested in this weekend as does Ralph.
I should not, but could on Sunday.

The shoulder is starting to piss me off!! I've been treating it to calm things down. I have an awesome cruise control on the big pig and feel I'd stand a decent shot @ completing the 1K this Sunday, but more time would increase my odds. Plus...very few of us have CB's. These are not needed, but are more fun to use. I have no prob waiting.

BTW, 1 of the 1st CSC members may be joining us on our coast to coast-"Yah BABY"!! as he just got an '02 1150RT w/ heated seats :P and he does know about this trip!!!!

towneh
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM
greetings all,

face it; weather prediction is a 'crap shoot'. do you feel 'lucky'???

keep thoughts open for the 26th and watch the trends of the weather. the dart-board guys at www.weather.com prepare nice pictures for forecasting if that is your bag or if you prefer the 'govermental text format' turn to NOAA (yeah, yeah they've got pictures too!).

talking with harry and looking at windchill charts, it would be best to go no lower than 30 degrees F. frostbite and hypothermia are NOT our friends!

commo via cb would be a nice thing but that probably won't happen before the 26th.... tunes are easier to come by.

some data pertaining to available natural light...

Sunday
26 January 2003 Mountain Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:45 a.m.
Sunrise 7:13 a.m.
Sun transit 12:13 p.m.
Sunset 5:13 p.m.
End civil twilight 5:42 p.m.

that means about 11 hrs of light for a 15 hour ride. dealing with darkness is better with an area that you are familiar with... hence, an out-and-back ride to Topeka is a great thing... leaving at 0500 would have us returning around 2000. i'll workup a route description with MS streets using Mikes stops soon...

i'll be at breck on Sunday busting deep trenches in the blues (the skiers hate it because they can't do it!!!)

watch those weather folks; they rival Vegas for odds!
later,
henry :idea:

towneh
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:21 PM
ok.... visual references!

here is a url for info pertaining to windchill experienced on a motorcycle:
http://www.xs11.com/tips/riding/ride4.shtml

here is the url for NOAA (the gov guys that bring you weather-guesses):
http://weather.gov/

may the force be with us!
henry

Anonymous
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:46 PM
For reference, my range is 140 miles until I get that cell. should be ok I think (there are fuel stops frequently enough along that route), we just need to plan for that. Sorry guys! :D

I need to get a real touring bike for this stuff... :roll:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 11:23 PM
When I yaked @ dyscofool I was under the impression that it was not this weekend (Sun.) but NEXT weekend. I have plans to be in Fort Collins on Sat. night. I can ride the bike up there but................. let me know. I'll be a Copper Mtn tomorrow (Fri.) I'll check the thread when I return (after many runs off the 'S' lift).

Dysco
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Ralph- When I did my big trip to Seattle on my 919 I estimated a 135 mile range. My longest pull ended up being 160 miles and the shortest was 110. I made 9 gas stops one day but still made around 1200 miles. Your bike will be fine. For the 1088, I'm planning on having a 500 mile range. That will definately make it harder to keep up with me but it's not that big of a deal for the SS1K since we won't be 'trying'.

Case in point:

200 mile range...
Denver to Burlington 180
Burlington to Russel 200
Russell to Topeka 170

At 80 MPH with gas stops taking 10 minutes we'll pull into Topeka in 7 hours and 15 minutes. Add one gas stop to that, ignoring speed up time, and it's 7:25. Here's the fun part (and it will be on the test):

Revised schedule:
Denver to Flagler 140
Flagler to Oakley 125
Oakley to Wilson 135
Wilson to Topeka 150

If Bike A follows the original route, traveling at 80 MPH and Bike B follows the revised route at 84 MPH, both taking 10 minutes to get gas, both bikes will arrive at the final destination within 5 minutes (according to my potentially bogus mathmatical theorums). If we had 2 working GPS units we could totally try out it out. Regardless, riders A and B should both have lunch in Topeka.
In rally-speak, punk ass biatches on R1150RTs :321: with a 250 mile range will still kick me arse with a cruising speed of 100, but I'll have fewer tickets (or save myself the price of a good radar detector).

Jeff- we're all on the right track with the dates now. Have fun @Copper.
Ralph- if your tank can't hande the 150 mile pull, I'll bring some rope... or there's a place you can stop on the way if you're getting worried after checking the range of the first 3 tanks...
Henry- does this info jive with streets and trips? (I had to estimate mileage from the Ranch to I70)
Harry- are you riding or witnessing?

Anonymous
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 07:38 AM
We'll see after the first leg how my bike is doing. To be honest, I have never ridden in 6th at 80mph for that length of time before as I've never been able to contain the urge to crank that twin open... :twisted:

This will be a good test. I also dropped the front gearing a tooth (should be real fun in KS! bwahaha) and I'm curious what that will do to my cruising mileage. My gut is telling me the 150 miles won't be a problem - remember, that's 140 until RLOD (Red Light Of Death aka fuel light), though I don't usually push much past that point. But I've actually had my tank get 170 before RLOD ONCE and only once, which makes me think 2 things: 1, I was riding like a wuss that week and 2, the sensor might have been stuck. But I think 150 will be ok as long as I don't mess around too much. 'Dem big ol' carbies suck that gas like a sponge!

Worst case on that leg I'll stop in the middle for gas and catch back up to ya. :D

towneh
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Fri
Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 44°/24° 20 %
Sat
Jan 25 Scattered Snow Showers 48°/21° 30 %
Sun
Jan 26 Snow Shower 44°/21° 50 %

for the COLD ONE on 26th; we got dealt our first card.... the Weather Channel guys say that our temps will dip on that Sunday. high of 44/low of 21 with a 50% chance of snow. that's 10 days out and NOAA won't post their guess til 7 days out. watch to see if their pressure centers stall or if they move out quicker than their forcast. watch for the next card and see where it plays ;)
henry

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
I'll wait it out til it warms some. Don't need to lose anymore weight by bone loss.

I'll be happy to witness ya'll though, just say wher & when. I'll bring a camera as this will be the 1st official IBA/CSC gigg. cool

Anonymous
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 12:38 PM
I'll wait it out til it warms some. Don't need to lose anymore weight by bone loss.

I'll be happy to witness ya'll though, just say wher & when. I'll bring a camera as this will be the 1st official IBA/CSC gigg. cool

I'm kinda waiting to see how the weather pans out too. I'm not doing a 15 hour ride down I-70 in a snowstorm, sorry but I'm just not that hard up to ride. IBA is 60 days behind, but there's still time to do the ride if it doesn't happen next weekend. I'd rather enjoy it and be safe, than be cold and miserable...

Dysco
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Me too- I'll just keep pushing my trip out a weekend until the weather gets non-precipitous. There's still hope though- we are in CO ;)

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Dyscofool wrote:

Me too- I'll just keep pushing my trip out a weekend until the weather gets non-precipitous. There's still hope though- we are in CO

Things can drastically change even from Denver to Wiggins (what ~ 70mi or so??) I'll wait as the last two posters suggest and Henry's suggestion too

watch for the next card and see where it plays

towneh
Sat Jan 18th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Fri
Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 47°/20° 10 %
Sat
Jan 25 Snow Shower 43°/22° 40 %
Sun
Jan 26 Snow Shower 44°/23° 50 %
Mon
Jan 27 Partly Cloudy 48°/26° 20 %

ok then, here is the second card from the people at the Weather Channel. looks like a line of pressure that washes by. when we get the next card from WC, the NOAA guys will start their posting. watch for the changes...
:roll: henry :roll:

Dysco
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 08:16 AM
NOAA says: "It's on, Martha! Bust out the polypro and fire up the sled!"

Denver: Sunday. Dry. Lows 15 to 25. Highs in the 50s.

Topeka: Sunday. Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 20s. Highs in the lower 40s.

Anonymous
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 05:55 PM
I think high's in the 50's for KS on Sunday now as well. :up: Plus we're dropping in elevation so that will help. Just need to bring something warm for the last 2-3 hours coming home, it'll get chilly coming across the plains I think.

Dysco
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 07:05 PM
I'll be wearing my bibs and polypro the whole way. Not worth stopping to change- better warm than cold. I guess Henry is out :( Jeff, are you still in?

If we're using Harry for a witness going out then I think we better use a different witness coming back in. Anyone know someone who'll be available Sunday night? And Harry, does that work for you?

Also- what time do we want to start. I figure the whole trip ought to take about 16 hours with food and incidentals. Id prefer to start out with a cup of joe if we could. Leaving at 0600 puts us back around 2200.

My suggestion for starting point is Denver Diner but it might be a little out of the way for our witness. Anyone have a better plan? The good coffee place opens at 0700.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Dyscofool wrote:

I'll be wearing my bibs and polypro the whole way. Not worth stopping to change- better warm than cold. I guess Henry is out Jeff, are you still in?

I have just 1K left on the front tire --- less than that if precipitation is in the forecast. If there is any chance of wet surface I'll have to get a new front prior to take off.

I'll be wearing the Eclipse electric chaps and vest along with the poly-pro. I'll have the radar detector with x-tra batteries. I don't have any onboard communication device (except hand-signals and as far as 'on-board' --- well that's stretching it :D ).

As far as leaving ....... I'll have coffee with me in a thermos so wherever is fine. I'd like to leave at 6:00 or when ever we can thereafter -- like when we can safely drive with the sunglasses on and not have to stop until the first scheduled stop.

If we don't fart around I bet we can be back prior to the 2200 hours estimated.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 08:22 PM
This is the official NOAA 5-day forcast map. It will get COLDER as we travel east especially down in river bottoms.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/9lh.gif

(I removed the map cuz it was too much of a pain in the arse to scroll from side to side.......sort of like getting saddle sore prior to the actual endeavor!

Anonymous
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'm down for whatever... I will be in at least poly pants, my top half I can layer a lot better as I go. Definitely will want to leave with the shades on as we'll have the sunrise in our faces for a while. Hrm, I should rig the headphones back up too...

I also agree we can probably do better than the 2200 arrival, I'd like to cruise the first leg at our expected speed as I have not done that with the bike in it's current configuration, and I'd like to get a feel for a number of things. After that, I don't mind exploring some faster speeds in the open spots (i.e. no cops - w/o CB's unless nick is in front it'll be hard to know when his fuzz buster goes off) to make up time.

Harry Biker
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 08:27 PM
I will meet you guys anywhere @ anytime!! Damn. I must say it's very tempting to roll w/ you 3!!!! Just give me detailed directions and some cell phone #'s just in case.

If I can help in anyother way let me know. Shoot, I'll probably roll with you guys for a spell.

Ending witness...should there be anyone besides the big guy??

One thought.......
It's Super Bowl Sunday. Mucho drunks on the roads, especially after Tampa wins the thing. Ideally you're all safe and back in your homes feeling super groovy for a kick arse ride before the game ends!

I sure hope you all have your throttle locks taken care of!!

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 08:38 PM
rforsythe wrote:

(i.e. no cops - w/o CB's unless nick is in front it'll be hard to know when his fuzz buster goes off)

I generally don't grab a fist full of binders when it does go off but I do feather the brake so the lights will flicker. Also the oom-pa-pa signal of the flat hand patting the top of the helmet -- seriously - I think that this attracts cops more than it warns the fellow biker brethren.

Sort of like those deer do-hickies that they sell to alert the deer from jumping in front of your vehicle -- I have read articles that they don't do sh*t to prevent collisions.

Anonymous
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I sure hope you all have your throttle locks taken care of!!

Hrm, yeah... I should do that. :D Who sells 'em?

Harry Biker
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 09:05 PM
See if you can get an O-ring to fit in between your bar end weight and the end of the grip. Try Catapillar or Pep boys.

If that doesn't work, Henry has a cruise control that's currently on my Yam he'd probably sell you for one of your stripper friends.

Dysco
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 09:23 PM
About "exploring faster speeds"...

My top speed at sea level is 104. I can definately pull 90 for an extended period of time but not if it's windy. I'm pretty sure that I can make this in well under 16 hours, too, but if you guys want to go really fast we'll have to split up- I'll be jealous, but not upset.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Dyscofool wrote:

About "exploring faster speeds"...

I cruise @ 80 - 90. And rarely do I throttle up to 100 for extended periods of time. And that all depends on what the 'sixth-sense' and the voices inside my head say to me :twisted:

Dysco
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM
Good to know... about the speed thing. The voices? Well, everybody hears voices, right? :D

I'm anxious to test out my new lights on a REAL dark road. I finally aimed them in the parking lot at work tonight and now they work much better. :idea: The road coming back into town should be brighter than when we left!

BTW- My odometer is broken after installing those lights and if I can't get it fixed before the ride or find an alternative, I'm not going to waste the trip. I'll keep you posted- the BMW shop will be checking it out this morning... only they don't know it yet.

les the molester
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 07:49 AM
Good luck on your attempt. If you need a witness for the morning I can do so. I'm tied up that evening. My suggestion for a start point is that you start and end at the same gas station. That way you have verifying receipts. We did Denver to Manhattan, KS last August. Since I was with Shit Magnet on his HD, we had to stop for gas more often. Plenty of gas stops with good receipts.
Les

Harry Biker
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 08:17 AM
Holy Smokes Fatman...yet another IBA member in the CSC!!!!!!!!!!!

We are not worthy-yet!

towneh
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 08:48 AM
dysco mike,
use a bycycle computer. a cheap one w/o a cadence (ha, ha). the Sigma units are popular with their big displays. block and tie-wrap the pick-up and use some 'serious' adhesive for the magnet. performance bicycle -probably- has somthin' on sale! they've got better accuracy anyway. gotta measure your wheels to get the calibration right!
'bang-per-buck',
henry

Dysco
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM
I'm running shy on cash- think the comp off my Bianchi will work? I'll measure... I also sent an email to see if I could use another rider's odometer if I still did gas reciepts, witnesses, and a mid point witness. My other option is to bring both keys and keep the headlight on the whole time. Then it would be a trip odometer.

towneh
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM
mike,
your comp off the Bianc will work if you've got the table of calibration codes.... if it is a Cateye, i've got the cali codes. let me kno what you've got
onward...
henry

Harry Biker
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 02:34 PM
I don't think you need a mid-point witness. Just get a gas receipt

Harry Biker
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 06:09 PM
I started thinking about Henry's idea about using a human powered speedo/odo until you get the German unit fixed........
I doubt that'll fly with the IBA. Way too portable.

Dysco
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM
From the IBA:
Hi, Mike!

Because we verify your mileage by means other than your odometer reading, it is
fine for you to ride without one. You can use a GPS or bicycle computer if you
wish.

Good luck and ride safely!

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Harry- as far as midpoint witness goes, I was trying ta anticipate what they might say. You're right- we totally don't need one.

Henry- I used to have a cat eye but I remember it breaking... twice. The second time I sheared off the mounting point so the computer is is only useful as a watch. I have a Schwinn on my Bianchi (then only American made piece). I'll call my bicycle shop tomorrow to see what's up with buying a new programmable comp for cheap.

Ralph or Jeff- you guys don't have a GPS unit, do ya? That's the easiest way out of this. I stumped BMW this morning- they have no idea what's wrong. :evil:

les the molester
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 06:41 PM
You don't need a mid point witness. We had one because the gas receipt was missing the station name.
If your speedo is broken, you might as well forget it. That's what is being witnessed and verified at the start/end. Just as you can't use a group receipt for a gas stop.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM
dyscofool wrote:

Ralph or Jeff- you guys don't have a GPS unit, do ya? That's the easiest way out of this. I stumped BMW this morning- they have no idea what's wrong.

I do not own a GPS at this time. :) Did you take the bike up to Demarchi's place in Fort Collins. Their mechanics seem to be better than most other places. This comes from Dalton who has owned three Beemer's over the last 20 years and worked at Foothills as a sales person. I'd assume he would know. :idea:

Anonymous
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
Ok - I do have a GPS, but it sucks. Let me talk to my dad though, he has a real nice one in his plane and since they put panel-mount color moving map stuff in there recently, the handheld goes mostly unused. I'll get back to you on this...... It should have major highways and stuff in it as well.

dysco - So you have a digital odometer then or what? And it works only when your new lights are turned ON? Verify all of the little details for me here. If you feel like it, I'm fairly adept at the electrical stuff; I think I have something going on tomorrow night (or thurs night, not sure which yet) but I'd be happy to take a look for you with the meter and stuff, probably just a simple wiring mistake that's shorting something or completing a circuit in a bad way.

Dysco
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 11:20 PM
Ralph- I just need something that's going to record miles traveled, nothing fancy- even though it would be cool to test something fancy out before I go out and buy myself a GPS when the money fairy visits me.

Odometer:
It's a digital thing. I'm assuming it has some kind of flash memory which stores miles traveled. When I turn the key to the off position, all data I have gets lost. When I turn it back on, it goes to 0. Basically what I have is a trip odometer that resets every time I turn the bike off.

It's probably a wiring thing since it occured after I installed my driving lights. It was NOT a power thing since the lights were fused properly from the get-go. They run from the battery to a fuse, then to the switches and lights. Worst case scenario is the memory is fried somehow and it needs to be replaced under warranty. What I really need to do is take it all apart again and check all the connections, but BMW can't even tell me where the stupid thing is.

If you want to find out what makes a Beemer eduro tick, you're welcome to take a look when I pull it apart to check the connections. For now, I'll probably just take apart the head and check the display area unless BMW can tell me where it is. The main thing is that I don't want to pay them a million dollars and have them still not know what the problem is.

Anonymous
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 11:34 PM
Hmmmm... yeah you could have zapped the circuitry somehow I suppose. Try completely disconnecting the new lights (return the wiring to stock config as best you can) and see what happens then. The odo is probably part of the display, there's a circuit board behind the LCD screen.

If it's still messed up after you take the lights back out of the equation, that will sorta narrow it down. then you can shop for a new odo on ebay... :(

Dysco
Tue Jan 21st, 2003, 11:50 PM
Going back to stock wiring means removing 1 wire from the POS on the battery. That's all that really comes close to any onther electrical system and the charging/electric system is fine. If it's not a loose wire, it's from my friend disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (with lights off) a bunch of times, but I can't see how that would affect anything.

Dysco
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
It's fixed! I have an odometer again!

BMW confirmed this morning that the ODO memory was in the head. I stuck my hand up there and felt around for blatantly loose wiring and, finding none, I disconnected the new lights from my battery. I did this by: Disconnecting negative wires, disconnecting positive wires completely, unhooking the power to the lights, reconnecting POS, and then reconnecting NEG. I have 2 connections on POS and NEG- I think one is for my heated grips. When I finished that, I turned the key an viola! It showed my mileage before the addition. I put the lights back onto the POS terminal and they lit up. -All this in their parking lot... I'm still a bit chilly.

So who is going, Jeff, Ralph, and me? Is meeting at the Denver diner cool? Say 0515 if you're eating, 0545 if you're not?

Harry- do you know where it is?

Henry- if you can make it in the morning, that's awesome, but can we count on you for a end of trip witness? If so, where should we meet you? We can always make a call from our last stop to give you some warning.

towneh
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:25 PM
address of Denver Diner is ?? harry and i should show no later than 0530 on the 26th.

for your finish, get the final gas receipt and pull by my place. i can sign your paper work/take pictures/etc. if all is well, i'd expect nlt 2100. i'll email my address to dysco mike.

henry

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:12 PM
Dyscofool wrote:

So who is going, Jeff, Ralph, and me? Is meeting at the Denver diner cool? Say 0515 if you're eating, 0545 if you're not?

Still planning on going. If there is ANY sign of precip I'm gonna pull the covers over my head and bail on the ride. No front tire to handle crap.

Where is the Denver Diner?

Anonymous
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
I'm not really up for precip either. Supposed to be in the 60's in Denver, so it should be a beautiful day (even warmer on Monday!! :D ).

Denver diner, is off Speer, like 10th I think. Might be 6th. It's right around there, big glowing thing of a building, on the northbound side. You can't miss it, especially with it still being dark out. I will be there for breakfast...

Gonna try and stay coffee-free for this one to see how I do, I'll bring a couple red bulls for emergency backup but I'm going to try the "nutritious food" route of energy first.

Dysco
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:59 PM
Denver Diner:
740 W Colfax Av DENVER, CO 80204-2613

Take I-25 to the Colfax exit, go east at the top of the ramp, and the diner is the pink and green neon sign on your right as you cross over Speer- ya can't miss it.

...sweeeeeeeet

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
Henry & I will be there by 5:30 AM,(I'll be in the cage to include Henry) Don't forget if you have not already to print off a copy of the rules and witness statements from the IBA.
I'd also recommend calling your credit card company & let them know you'll be traveling,(so they don't shut down your card).

If you have not already read the 25 rules of wisdom on the IBA site, do so.

Remember to watch out for one another after the miles exceed 800 or so. Watch for a rider that can't hold his speed,(I feel like a mother). Once that happens you can maybe buy some time by doing a clockwise rotation of formation. Don't be afraid to get off the bike as you'll have plenty of time. Walking around to increase circulation is good too.

I have a nice cd player for anyone that may be in need. Just get some ear buds w/ speakers @ Target & let me know.

Bring a digital camera!!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:13 PM
Harry Biker wrote:

,(I feel like a mother)

The 'mother' of all what exactly???

Dyscofool wrote (actually gave beyond the call of duty):

Denver Diner:
740 W Colfax Av DENVER, CO 80204-2613

Ahhhh yes. These greasy spoons used to be known as the WHITE SPOT restaurants. (If there are any 'WHITE SPOTS" on the tarmac I'm again going to pull the covers over my head, get up at a reasonable hour and then walk to the bar for a bloody mary. :D

rforsythe wrote:

Supposed to be in the 60's in Denver, so it should be a beautiful day (even warmer on Monday!!

If it's in the mid 60's in Denver it is only because of katabatic winds that 'fall' over the Divide and bring the temps up to what you might think that of San Diego. Ha ha ha DON'T BET ON THIS TO BE THE CASE AFTER MOTORING OUT EAST PAST SAUDI-AURORA. It is going to be BUTT ASS COLD ALL THE WAY TO KC AND BACK.

(Henry -- GET WELL SOON)

Ninja

Dysco
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:58 AM
I tested my heated grips with modified handguards to 10F tonight with excellent results- cold be damned! In a blatant misuse of company resources I printed out 4 copies of the IBA SS1K packet. I also printed up 4 trip plans with basic stuff: stops, exit #, and mileage between them- in an easy to read format.
Henry- remind me to get your # before we leave just in case we're massively early or something :D
Harry- you forgot spare batteries for the digicam (check) in your list. Dibs on the CD player. I'll see you tonight.

Ack! All set to go and I have to wait 2 days.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:52 AM
Mental note, I really gotta get those headphones put back in the helmet tonight! ...

I'm planning on blatantly misusing company resources thie morning as well to print out a bunch of IBA stuff. I've actually not read most of it so I should probably do that... :oops:

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:36 AM
Disco,
Do me a fave when you awaken and leave a voice message @ my home phone # to remind me to bring you the CD player. Get spare AA's and don't forget to get yourself some cheap ear buds,(I'll share a lot of things but not ear wax :o

Call Henry if you don't have my home #.

Got Poleroid?

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:56 AM
Mama thinks it's too cold!!

According to today's forcast for Topeka on Sunday, assuming you were traveling @ 75 mph and the wind chill factor, you boys'll be hitting temps around -20 degrees below 0!!!!!!!!!!

Throw angry drunk drivers into the mix,(you stand a 40% greater risk of getting killed on S-Bowl day) and, well.......bundle up & @ least take out the drunk cage driver. Use your elbows and knees on em!

Anonymous
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Mama thinks it's too cold!!

According to today's forcast for Topeka on Sunday, assuming you were traveling @ 75 mph and the wind chill factor, you boys'll be hitting temps around -20 degrees below 0!!!!!!!!!!

Throw angry drunk drivers into the mix,(you stand a 40% greater risk of getting killed on S-Bowl day) and, well.......bundle up & @ least take out the drunk cage driver. Use your elbows and knees on em!

Wow Harry, you're motivating! :lol:

Hrm, the forecast for topeka isn't getting better... Damnit. That's f'in cold...

BTW Harry, make sure you're using the new windchill calcs, they were updated last year with newer formulas. With a high of 32 degrees in Topeka, at 75mph that's a WC of 12 degrees F. Go here for current conversions:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/metcalc.shtml

Shit, well now I am having second thoughts. Sunday's even cooling off here now. I guess I will wait a little while and see what happens, but as I don't have heated grips or an electric vest, freezing temps (let alone 12 degrees windchill) do not sound like a whole lotta fun to me. I dunno, it sounds like a couple of you are waiting a couple of weeks anyway, maybe we all should? Just throwing it out there...

Dysco
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Hmmm- I see flurries on there too. My motivation for going now is to get it over with before I have to go to my other tires- the non-touring kind. I might go Saturday... let me think on it while I sleep.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Sorry.
Actually I was/am as excited for you guys doing this that I was thiking of bringing along cheerleaders!

you just need to be smart is all. I've seen other wannabees get burned out on long distance stuff. Don;t want to see that happen here.

Could you still make the ride and likely stay warm....yes.

Do you need to roll now or wait for a later date...maybe.

The way I seen it is the 50CC has fired up a lot of good emotions and I like you want to do it already. Doing the SS1K right away allows one to feel the feeling a little bit vs just riding this keyboard.

If you change your mind, I'm rolling to Apex Cycle inthe Springs on Saturday to price CB stuff.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:16 PM
Now If I were planning to ride 1K this Sunday and really wanted to do it, I'd just change directions!!

How's SOUTH sound bikerboyz??? Nicer scenary, nicer weather!!!!

Dysco
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Great idea Harry- I had the same one when I woke up. Ever heard of Socorro, NM? It's 520 miles from Denver and it's where I'm pointing the GS at 0600 on Sunday. I so wanted to go to Truth Or Consequences, but it's an extra 160 miles. Wouldn't that be cool to have on a certificate?

I'll have a trip plan ready tonight. It's going to be hard not to stop for pastries in Raton... (longjohns, really, but that would have sounded kinda of funny)

:bananna: ONWARD! :bananna:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:30 PM
All righty then. South it is. But you might want to read this post further. I'd rather go as scheduled on Sat AM.

If we determine that south is the way to go .......

Do you want to meet further south say in the Ranch somewhere? Whereever the best coffee and breakfast is @ 5:00 AM.

In any case I'll be there. LET'S RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

BTW --- here's the latest sat image. One thing you need to remember is this route is at HIGHER elevation throughout (Raton NM 6,640 ft., Las Vegas NM = 6,371 ft., Santa Fe NM = 7,000 ft., Socorro NM = 4,585 ft.) Whereas Topeka KS = 1,000 ft..

As you can clearly see the elevation is a sustained 6,149 ft. average of these four NM locations. The posibility for residual crap on the road left from previous storms should be accounted for. That disturbance out over Vegas needs to be watched. You might want to reconsider and deal with the cold east vs. the cold south. Either way it's not going to be a summer cruise.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/satellite_images/national.jpg

Dysco
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 01:50 AM
The (current) Plan: Leave Sunday, Jan 26, at 0500 from the Denver Diner (meet there @0400 for breakfast and BS... ouch)
DO NOT GAS UP BEFORE YOU GET THERE

The gas schedule is totally Ralph-friendly :up: even though he's high maintenance :D
Denver to Colorado City Exit 74 140
Colorado City to Springer Exit 412 120
Springer to El Dorado Exit 290 125
El Dorado to Socorro Exit 150 140
Rinse and repeat... in reverse.
If any of these cities are known-bad for gas, let me know. I have handy route lists for everyone's tank bag.

Since we changed states, the speed laws got better. Limit in NM 75MPH and the lowest speeding award is from 1-10 over @$15. We're in the clear.
Total mileage on the slab is 1030. This should be plenty. The lowest high temp is Santa Fe: 46F

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 07:17 AM
If the quality of gas is an issue, I'd just force a stop in a more metropolitan area (for the extra distance you would go to Springer, NM why not jus bail for fuel in Raton, NM?) where the gas sales are more inline with that of a flight deck on an aircraft carrier. :lol:

Dysco
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
I don't so much care about the quality (I've heard of people running <80 octane in the 650 with no problems), more about availability since I've never been down that far. Too bad there aren't more big burgs on this route... but less traffic is nice.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Dyscofool wrote:

Too bad there aren't more big burgs on this route... but less traffic is nice.

I don't remember if there is fuel in Springer, NM or not. I'd play it on the safe side and snag it in Raton, NM. I think the main objective is to get it before we need to. :roll:

Dysco
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Silly me, forgot to Google it. We're hooked up- even has an airport if you need a bit of high test.

http://nmohwy.com/s/springer.htm

I like Raton, too. Need to stop there for any reason? The Coffee Shop and Bakery is money.

Anonymous
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 05:20 PM
SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!!

I just remembered, I have a prior obligation sunday afternoon! :guns: I can't go on this ride... After this one my sundays are freed up, but this weekend is pretty much out of the question.

*sigh* Wanna reschedule, or do you two (dysco and nick) want to go ahead, and I'll just do it with harry/henry/whoever later?

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 05:56 PM
So.......if you ain't riding any longer, care to switch places w/ me??
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about giving it a whirl.

Just to be clear now, that puts me tenderizing me arse and it puts you wakening up VERY EARLY to sign some forms.

Anonymous
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM
I suppose I could do that... Do you need 3 witnesses since I'm not IBA? Are you leaving at 6am or 5am?

Dysco
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Just need 1 witness. You kind of control the departure time :D is 0500 doable?

Anonymous
Fri Jan 24th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Just need 1 witness. You kind of control the departure time :D is 0500 doable?

I think so ... Damn that's early! :shock: Should be fine though.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I am packing the bike today. I am leaving @ 4:15 AM. I'M GOING ON THIS RIDE! I AM GOING TO DRINK COFFEE BY THE POT FULL. I AM GOING TO BE IBA CERTIFIED (or is that certifiably NUTS) :? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CUL8TR

Harry Biker
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Here's my deal-
I heading out now to do a 200 mile trip to assess the pain level. If it's good and ok for tomorrow I'm riding w/ you boyz.

If I'm riding tomorrow I'd like to suggest like Jeff a 4:15 AM departure time. Now that's not get to the diner time, that's start the clock time.

To prevent Ralph from having to leave that warm bed with his dancin girlfriend my wife said she will witness us @ my house. Henry can then do the end witness.

So, check this post later on this afternoon/evening and I'll let you know my status. Assuming you do not want to leave quite that early and you still want to meet @ the diner we NEED a 100% guarantee from Ralph. Henry still can't drive so it's Ralph @ the diner or it's my wife @ the Ranch.
So, I'll be looking for your preferance for a start time etc.
Also, even if I don;t do the ride tomorrow, I'l lstill be happy to witness the dynamic duo and free up Ralph.
Henry, if that's the case let me know if you still want me to pick you up then.

Remember, a 5am start most likely puts us back into Denver right as the game is ending!

L8tr...off to spend more $$ on this addiction ;)

Anonymous
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Harry you still here? Give me a call, maybe I'll go do a quick ride with ya. 303-907-7499. I can't leave on the bike for an hour and a half tho... (still up north)

Harry Biker
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 05:15 PM
:cry: I'm a no go.
My good buddy threw a $400 Schuberth helmet for me to catch to see how light it was. That hurt. Had ibup 600 mg onboard too.

So, I'm heading out for a few hours and will check this section to see what you want me to do in the AM. If I'm to witness, give me my arrival time @ the Denver Diner and I'll be there. If Henry makes a post I'll pick him up too, otherwise I'll ride a scoot.

Dysco
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Harry- take care of your wing! Jeeze- that thing gets reinjured every week.

I just spoke to Jeff and we've decided to go with the original plan. So Harry (and friend/s): Please be at the Denver Diner by 0445. This way the mileage is more comfortable, too. We'd be right around 1007 if we started in HR and 1030 from Denver. Someday I'll do an SS1000 between 2 cities with oddball names (Truth Or Consequences?) for a better certificate.

I'm sure we'll have no problem making good time on Superbowl Sunday in NM. likely <2100 finish. I'm not too worried about the drunks- I ride with then every time I go to work. I also cruised Henry's hood and we'll have no trouble finding it.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I'm gonna hit the hay now. I'll leave Boulder @ ~ 3:30 AM and get to the Diner @ 4:15 or so. THIS IS GONNA BE A BLAST :D

towneh
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 07:32 PM
ok, harry.... i'll be ready at my door at 3:30 am (if that's enough time...)
the price i pay for a bit o' foolishness..... i wish i were do'in the ride but this is as close as i can get right now! camera and pen; i'll be ready!
(call me with details/changes/etc..)
later,
henry :D

Harry Biker
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 08:31 PM
HT, I'll bring the screaming meanie w/ me and "blast it" between 3:30-3:45 am-just kidding, sleep study & all.

If for some strange reason like I drank too much beer as I'm typing this to drown my sorrows call me @ 4am. Now I don't anticipate you'll have to do that cuz you'll already be in my truck ready to buy me the big boy breakfast.

Big Mick the Shit Magnet
Sat Jan 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Good luck on your ss 1000 attempt. It will change your perspective on riding completely IF you're successful. Later..........

Anonymous
Sun Jan 26th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I don't think I'm going to make it to the diner at 4am (it's almost 2:30am now - why I'm awake, I dunno ... oh yeah I think it was that 6 cups of coffee I had. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!) but I'd like to catch up with you guys when you return, since I presume harry or whoever will be meeting you anyway to witness the end stop. Someone post back here with the details, I might grab some dinner with y'all.

In the meantime I'm planning to hook up with the crew at 11am at starbucks on 6th/broadway, so maybe I'll get a little riding in today yet.

Dysco
Sun Jan 26th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Back safe. Ride complete. Hard rock forever.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Big Mick The Shit Magnet (I don't want to even ask ...) wrote:

Good luck on your ss 1000 attempt. It will change your perspective on riding completely IF you're successful. Later..........

It did and we were :twisted:

You'd a had to been there :D DON'T DO THIS IN THE WINTER :P

Harry Biker
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 07:30 AM
WAY TO GO FELLAS!!!!!!!!

I'll wait impatiently for a ride report...........................................

Big Mick the Shit Magnet
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Glad to hear it was a safe and life altering event. There is nothing better than the long distance endurance ride. I look forward to reading your ride report. Later.........

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Harry Biker wrote:

I'll wait impatiently for a ride report...........................................

I'm at work. I am not awake. I will try to type a report tonight. I might fall asleep. THANK GOD FOR AIRCRAFT LANDING LIGHTS! (GREAT JOB Dyscofool :D )

Dysco
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 05:24 PM
City Time Mileage Time spent
Denver, CO 0520 5577
Pueblo, CO 0720 5690 20 Pump gave no receipt (to me)
Springer, NM 0914 5849 5
Santa Fe, NM 1103 5987 25 Tightened my chain
Socorro, NM 1320 6130 20 Bad time on receipt
Santa Fe, NM 1515 6267 20 Bad time on receipt
Trinidad, CO 1808 6474 55
Lone Tree, CO 2151 6670
(Everywhere else I paste this stuff it looks fine but the board is eating my spaces)

-Handlebar mounted bicycle water bottle froze solid before Pueblo. It thawed somewhere around Santa Fe. I regained feeling in my feet near Albuquerque. Trying to jog around a gas station when you can't feel your feet must look pretty funny- it feels funny.
-Developed a wobble at all speeds before getting to Socorro. Read 31 PSI in my warm rear tire. Filled to 39.
-Crossed over a dimly lit Raton pass with little gas to spare in an effort to get over before total darkness. Very slow leg since I was a bit worried about my rear tire. It was much warmer in Colorado at night.
-The last 100 miles were plagued with bad traffic and loads of LEOs. We made it through in good time anyway- those were the easiest miles. Our pace in the dark parts was pretty slow but Jeff's driving lights were so bright we could see every pebble at 50 yards. Some cars were passing and when he shut is lights off as they went by they slammed on their brakes due to the lost visibility- pretty funny.
-Rear tire VERY wobbly/unbalanced at low speeds after the ride chain skips and bike dies occasionally at low speeds on the ride home. Need new rear tire, possibly new chain.

Ultimately, I wasn't prepared to maintain my bike over 1000 miles. Didn't bring chain lube or check my tire pressure before I left. I should have also tightened my chain up a bit before we left, but I didn't know how to do it. Now I do- Thanks Jeff! :up: I'm left with a fairly busted ride.
The average speed on the way there was between 85 and 90. The way back was slower, starting at 85+ and slowing as the wobble progressed. At night we kept the speeds at or under the speed limit, which improved gas mileage significantly and allowed us to really sweep the road for critters.
Avg speed for the whole trip was 66MPH (per my ODO). Avg rolling speed (per my ODO) was 75.

Anonymous
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Dysco, make 100% sure your axle is straight and torqued to spec, after re-adjusting the chain per the manual. That wobble sounds like you got it crooked maybe.

Glad it was a good trip, and I will be on the next one! :D

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 28th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Harry, Henry, Mike, and Big Mick (TSM): I am still in the process of writing a report. It is going well and should be done by the end of the week. I'm reliving it as I put flesh to plastic. I have Harry and Henry's e-mail. If Mike and Big Mick (TSM) want a copy, please contact my PM account here and I'll be glad to forward a copy of this exquisite Gonzo Journalistic masterpiece. :twisted:

les the molester
Wed Jan 29th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Good going. Now you can watch the mail for 3 months waiting for your official notification.

Brother SM: Cocktails tomorrow?

Big Mick the Shit Magnet
Wed Jan 29th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Cocktails? But of course! Same time, same place I presume. Being the cheap Drunkard that I am, the L will work fine. By the way, the Skylark is closing. Moving 2 blocks south X Champion Auto....Maybe if Denver Liquor Board approves the move.

I was looking at the map today considering our 10 state weekend ride. I'm stoked on the idea. CO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, and WY. I found a way to do 11 and include NE too. It'll ROCK Brother!
Later..........

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 03:02 PM
SS1K-the"B"-group.....

Shall we tentatively plan the 1K so those that need to get fuel cells,(Ralph), get better,(Henry) and ok me too and warmer clothes-widder baby!!(Disco??) That gives everyone 4 weeks to prepare etc. Ralph, I'll be carrying extra fuel and I HIGHLY suggest you do too

How's Saturday 2/22/03 grab you?
Weather dependant of course.

I'll need a witness.

Les & Big Mick, you're more that welcome. I'll be rolling on the 88"
Time to finally get that license plate frame.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Harry Biker wrote:

I'll need a witness.

I'll do it for you and anybody else that will be in yer group.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Tentatively, that works for me. I won't have a fuel cell by then however, I might be able to order one but I sure won't have it installed or usable. However I don't anticipate that being a problem. The sprocket doesn't seem to have changed my MPG a whole lot, and I can figure something out for extra fuel should I really need it.

Did you want to do the same ride as these jokers, or something else?

I'm having a bit of a tooth issue at the moment (wisdom tooth, i.e. I still have the damn things and they're starting to become quite a painful encumbrance) however I'm sure I will have taken care of it by then.

towneh
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 06:45 PM
ah…. the B team… hopefully my shoulder will co-operate. I put on my ‘yello sub suit’ today. it was a painful experience. I’m dropping 3 200mg calcium tablets in the morning and at night. the date/time is as good as any with health and weather at play.... :D

Saturday 22 February 2003 Mountain Standard Time

Begin civil twilight 6:16 a.m.
Sunrise 6:44 a.m.
Sun transit 12:14 p.m.
Sunset 5:44 p.m.
End civil twilight 6:12 p.m.

probably the same route as the A team.... hopefully the pump techs will sync up their pump date/time registers by then ;)

henry

Dysco
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 11:10 PM
I'll witness on the other side. I'll do my next IBA ride when it's a bit warmer. Electrics/big fairings are key.

Ralph- if you guys decide to use our route: you need a fuel cell or you need to be prepared to gas up more frequently. My mileage varied greatly due to wind and speed. One tank hit the RLOD at 138 and another at 168. That's 10 miles a gallon. The original route I laid out will probably work for you without a big risk since Jeff and I cut a stop on the way back stopping in Sana Fe and Trinidad and made it just fine. Doing it that way gives you two 200+ mile pulls (depending on where you're headed in Denver).

As for the departure time, I'd leave by 0600 or so. The key is to be back over Raton Pass before it gets completely dark. I was definately tired at the end and I think that's partly because I got so little sleep the night before.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Well, I don't have big fairings, or electrics (unless someone can lend a brotha their electric threads).. :D

I will still be fuel-cell-challenged on the 22nd, no way around it. Even if I get it by then, there is no way I'd be able to fabricate a mount and integrate the proper fittings to the standards I will want.

The southern route is fine with me too... :D

les the molester
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Harry: If you need a witness on 2/22/03 let me know. Saturday's are out for me since I'm volunteering at the Legion until our pig roast on 24 May.

towneh
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 07:50 AM
yo mike,
could you drop me a list of your fuel points with their addresses. using them i'll cook up a formal map with my software...... then i'll see what we can do to help our 'fuel-challenged' friend.... :lol:
any word on your wobbling rear wheel???
later,
henry

Dysco
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Diamond Shamrock
255 Speer Blvd
Denver, CO 80203

Loaf N Jug
Pueblo, CO
Unplanned stop, first Pueblo exit, chipshot from end of the ramp to the left- I wouldn't plan on stopping here.

Texaco
1007 Railroad Ave (frontage)
Springer, NM 87747

Conoco
6800 Cerillos
Santa Fe, NM 87505
This is the first gas sign when you hit Santa Fe- there may be closer ones- was about 2.5 miles off of freeway.

Diamond Shamrock#1295
Socorro, NM.
There were closer gas stops- we had some confusion once we rolled into town. Look up the Chevron there- it's the closest thing to I-25. Address can be found by going to www.valero.com/marketing and entering the station #

Conoco (free air here)
52 Old Las Vegas Highway
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Plan your route carefully here for best efficiency. I think we backtracked some to get back on the freeway. This is part of Hist. Rte 66- you might be able to exit, gas, continue on to I-25. If anything it's a few miles of different scenery with no time loss.

Texaco?
9960 Santa Fe Trail Dr
Trinidad, CO 81082
First exit, first right. Attached Wendy's (cash for food, no plastic)

BP
Quebec and County Line
Lone Tree
Follow KK smell
You might be stopping at a different place per witness- I figured mileage to I-25 and Lincoln, Exit 193, since I knew I could find gas within a mile or 2.

The original plan is somewhere in this topic- check around for it. We blew it both ways- unplanned pit-stop in Pueble going and 3 stops on the way back. Be SURE to check wind forcast for the day- the worst was the westerly jog I-25 makes before Santa Fe on the way there. Coming back we had a nice tailwind almost the whole ride. Figure minimum 4 miles RT to gas for each stop.

towneh
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 02:51 PM
alright mike!!!

i'll take those fuelstops and plug them into my map that i used to guess your locations per time intervals during the ride..... i'm curious to see how close your ride came to the software's best guess! i'll use 15 minutes for the fuelstops....

what is the word on the wobblin' rear wheel???

thanx for the data,
henry

Nick_Ninja
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:47 PM
It is done :shock: I e-mailed it to Harry and Mike but Henry - - you need to free-up your account to accomodate the 1.4 M file that is the Ride Report. :D If you can't get a file that size, I'll load it on a floppy and mail it to you. I have it in HTML format so the IBA should post it sooner than later out on their site, or if I can get my site functional I'll send you the link. 8)

CUL8TR

Ninja

towneh
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
hi jeff,

looks a bit trecherous out there this afternoon...

there are size limitations with the free hotmail account. 1 meg including any attachments.... i had a hotmail account long before Bill got his hands on it! i could get a real account with that measily microsoft money muncher named Bill Gates but i'm not giving him anymore than i have to!!!

alternative: make the file a 2-parter !?!?!?! we can beat Bill G AND the US Postal service!!! joyous day!

'revenge is a dish best served cold' -- klingon observation
henry :D

Nick_Ninja
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:52 PM
Sending it @ 16:50 02/03/03.. Let me know when you get part #1 and then I'll send part #2 :)

towneh
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:32 PM
many thanx for your attempts to confront 'the machine' Windoze and all its applications reel and twist, only to fall onto the floor in a writhing mass. a limitation here; a choke-hold there..... some day BSD, Linux, and the like with robust apps will prevail. give VAX a chance!

oh,oh ----- i'm starting to rant! :lol:

thanx for listening; i'll stop now! :roll:

let it snow (for a while...)
henry

Anonymous
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:50 PM
many thanx for your attempts to confront 'the machine' Windoze and all its applications reel and twist, only to fall onto the floor in a writhing mass. a limitation here; a choke-hold there..... some day BSD, Linux, and the like with robust apps will prevail. give VAX a chance!

oh,oh ----- i'm starting to rant! :lol:

thanx for listening; i'll stop now! :roll:

let it snow (for a while...)
henry

I'm on BSD right now in fact! :up:

Harry Biker
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
Jeff-

AWESOME write up about your SS1k!!!!! Very well written. If you have not, I'd share it with more than the just the 3 of us.

1 question on your electric chaps. Do they just plug into the vest like gloves do/would? I don't think you run the e-gloves,(I do) that being said, have you seen a connector that would handle both the gloves and chaps?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Harry,

The chaps use a 'Y' connector. Any other accessory needs to have a saparate connection.