PDA

View Full Version : Restarting??

Wahooman
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Hello all.....hey after I went down last Saturday the bike will not start. You press the start button and nothing happens at all. NOw, when the key is turned on the fuel pump fires up dash comes on....kill switch works but it will not crank. We push started it and it run 100% fine. Is there a reset you have to do on the Gixxers to get it to fire again? I looked through my manual and found nothing at all. Just curious with all of you in here if someone knows what is up?? Thanx in advance :D

towneh
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
hi Wahoo,
resets!?!?! maybe but i don't think so.... you might have sheared a wire to the starter. take the switch casing off and and test the switch itself (momentary push-on). if the switch is good, run a temp wire and try it again.
-springtime in the Rockies-
henry

oh yeah, and the other slew of good things that keep the starter from running

1. micro-switch at the sidestand
2. switch with clutch engagement
3. starter switch itself (mentioned above)
4. wiring problem to and from the starter switch (also above)

we had a post before about all of the little things regarding starters; it was great fun!

Gramps
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
that bike just doesn't like you anymore

you made it angry

:D

towneh
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:04 AM
that bike just doesn't like you anymore

you made it angry

....pending charges of motorcycle abuse. we've all been there. :lol:

Scott-ZX9R
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Hello all.....hey after I went down last Saturday the bike will not start. You press the start button and nothing happens at all. NOw, when the key is turned on the fuel pump fires up dash comes on....kill switch works but it will not crank. We push started it and it run 100% fine. Is there a reset you have to do on the Gixxers to get it to fire again? I looked through my manual and found nothing at all. Just curious with all of you in here if someone knows what is up?? Thanx in advance :D

:idea:
I don’t know much about Suzuki or motorcycle mechanics, but I would check a couple of things first:
1. Check the electrical system (just ignition related)
a. Verify any disconnected connectors
b. Cut wires
c. Check to see if you have a switch
(has a fuse, check that too)
i. Just like a cars coil, verify the
coil is switching

Remember when you could take a screwdriver across the cars coil to see if the engine would turnover? I’m no motorcycle mechanic, but I think bikes have the same thing?

I’m just guessing here, anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I hope that helps.

aeroeone
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
There is no resets on the bike like that, but I would definitely check the clutch switch wires and see if maybe one came unplugged when it went down....other than that I would just check the ignition fuse to see if it's blown or broken. Checking the switch it self is also a good idea, I've seen a lot of the honda's with soldering that comes undone on the inside of the switch for the headlight power wires.

Good luck!

Wahooman
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks Fellas..... :D
Oh and Gramps.....it still likes me, I am makin it pretty again...give me and my bro a few weeks.
Should have the new ride soon....just debating between the 03 or 04.

Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Have not been on the board lately. Glad to hear you are in one piece Curtis. Sorry to hear about the new bike.

Check all of the safety switches on the bike like clutch, side stand, etc. Sometime these can be damaged in an accident and the electrical thinks the connection is open keeping you from cranking it.

Gramps
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
just don't let your bro get at it with the woodworking tools :lol:

it would come out looking like a couch with two tires

:lol: :lol:

R6 Chick
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:54 PM
hey wahoo

first you check the cutoff on the handlebar(right hand side)

next you make sure it is in neuteral and the kickstand is in the up position

then you place your hand on your ass

then with other hand turn key

if still does not start, call someone with a motorcycle endorsement

just giving you a little shit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good luck :D

Gramps
Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
wahoo

seriously

try unhooking the battery, might reset the computer

Wahooman
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 12:22 AM
wahoo

seriously

try unhooking the battery, might reset the computer

Already done....nothing. Tracing wires now....but think it is in the switch itself possibly?? Fuse is good, fuel pump fires, etc....have to trace the power issue now. Bike is totally bare now. Found out the front fender was broken...DAMN IT...have to get a new sticker for the new one now. Well, off to ebay to see what I can find for it..... :D

Bertha
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Go for the 04!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!