PDA

View Full Version : speed

thunderseye
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 02:40 PM
ok i dropped a tooth in the front and went up 2 in the back. my speedo seems to be way off. i realized it would be a little off but it seems like 15 to 20 over what i'm really doing. is there any way to re calibrate this or at least make sure how much over it is?

Neb954
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Two things come to mind to check it at least, 1. pace a friend, 2. or duct tape a GPS sensor to the tank for a quick run.. I've found some of the GPS sensors are pretty acurate with speed.. (surprised the heck out of me).. As for fixing it.. can't help u there.. sorry..

Best of luck..

Khalid 171
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM
There is a speedo healer or a yellow box you can get to fix this. Going down 1 and up 2 is going to throw your speedo way off. And as the faster you go the worse it will get.

thunderseye
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
thanks i'll have to check those out

Khalid 171
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM
thanks i'll have to check those out
No problem. I would check out the Speedo Healer. That is what i am going to get for my bike. :up:

Brizz
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 05:25 PM
The speedo healer is cheaper and also has more features.

thunderseye
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 06:13 PM
do you have one on your bike briz?

Brizz
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Nah im too poor. :lol:

haywood jablome
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 06:41 PM
i have a gps on my phone you can use that if you want.

thunderseye
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 06:55 PM
your phone tells you how fast you are going? i mean my phone has a gps so they can track you when you call say 911 or something

Bueller
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM
My GPS says my new SV odo is way off even before I gear it. 108 mph on spedo is actually only 100mph. 259 mile trip today regestered as 274 on odo. 5.8% error. Thats going to run up the mileage :(

KooLaid
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 08:09 PM
No problem. I would check out the Speedo Healer. That is what i am going to get for my bike. :up:

Awwww you puss! You don't need to regear that almost 160 hp at the wheel monster!

I think I'm gonna try taping my GPS palm pilot to my gas tank to try it out. Just suck to have the tape peel off and get the dang thing ran over!

Brizz
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Look into the speed healer. Maybe we can get a deal with buying more. I know for a fact that its cheaper.

1000RR
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 08:46 PM
This is the device you need. It recalibrates your stock speedo. It works by taking the % inaccuracy of your speedo after a gear up and recalibrating the indicated speed. Your % of error is easy to determine mathematicly.

This is device is highly recommended by the good folks at 600rr.net. I will be using one when I go to my 15/45 ratio.

http://www.jahlmandesign.com/prod01.htm

thunderseye
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 09:27 PM
so who wants to do a group buy? then we can all hook them up well try to anyway lol

Khalid 171
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM
so who wants to do a group buy? then we can all hook them up well try to anyway lol
I am down, just let me know what you find out.

This is the device you need. It recalibrates your stock speedo. It works by taking the % inaccuracy of your speedo after a gear up and recalibrating the indicated speed. Your % of error is easy to determine mathematicly.

This is device is highly recommended by the good folks at 600rr.net. I will be using one when I go to my 15/45 ratio.

http://www.jahlmandesign.com/prod01.htm
I saw this one time also, but couldn't remember where I saw it, but it also looks really good, and very easy to install. :up:

haywood jablome
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
YES AND NO it has a GPS and it tells you your current speed

ill show you when you come here.

your phone tells you how fast you are going? i mean my phone has a gps so they can track you when you call say 911 or something

Khalid 171
Sun Apr 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Awwww you puss! You don't need to regear that almost 160 hp at the wheel monster!

I already dropped a tooth in the front a while ago. Remember last time I saw you down in the Springs at the gas station, and I was adjusting my chain and you shinned your light on my bike. I just finished putting on the front sprocket then.

KooLaid
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 12:08 AM
dude, I didn't even get a chance to see you wheelie that..... oh yeah I did I think...... then your buddy's bike just bout bursted into flames!

Khalid 171
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM
dude, I didn't even get a chance to see you wheelie that..... oh yeah I did I think...... then your buddy's bike just bout bursted into flames!
Yep. His bike is all good now though.

Anonymous
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Determining how far off your speedo is, can be very simple.

Remember that your trip meter (also what counts the miles on your bike) and speedo are driven off of the same source, whether electronic or mechanical. So do this: Find a stretch of road, the straighter the better, with mile markers on it. Find a marker, stop, reset your trip to zero. Now, just go ride! Speed doesn't matter, distance is the important part here. The farther you ride, the more accurate this calculation will be.

Now let's say you ride 10 miles (known because you stop riding at the 10th mile marker from where you started). Your trip meter reads 13.1 miles. To get the percentage error, divide the trip-meter number by the actual miles travelled. Multiply this by 100. If the result is over 100, then subtract 100, if it's under 100 subtract it FROM 100. So, 13.1 divided by 10 equals 1.31. Multiply this by 100, to get 131. Subtract 100 (since it's over 100) to get the percent difference, = 31% higher than reality. This can happen with radical gearing changes. Now tell your Yellow Box or other speedo correction device to decrease the signal to the speedometer by 31% and you'll show actual speed.

This is also a valid way to see how far off your stock bike is, since virtually none are dead on (most read 5-10% high on purpose).

Anonymous
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 02:43 PM
:crazy: Thanks Ralph - that'll work. I got the ride for 10 miles deal, but it's the math that's killing me.

FYI - if you're wondering how gearing changes are going to affect your top speed, or your speed readout, you can also use thins handy-dandy Speed Calculator (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html) that I created way back when & stuck on the main site (on the Tool Box (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/toolbox.html) page). :D

Anonymous
Mon Apr 5th, 2004, 02:58 PM
:crazy: Thanks Ralph - that'll work. I got the ride for 10 miles deal, but it's the math that's killing me.

Yeah what I wrote even confused me. Here this should be simpler, and you can do it all with the calculator on your PC:

1. Pull up to a mile marker, reset your trip meter.
2. Ride a known distance based on the mile markers on the side of the road. 10 or more would be best.
3. Stop right at the last one you plan to count. Record the number of mile markers you rode to, and what your trip meter says. Chances are the trip meter will read high.
4. Divide the number on the trip meter by the number of miles you actually just rode. Then multiply this by 100.
5. If the result you got is over 100, subtract 100 from it to get the percentage (since percent only goes up to 100).
6. If it's below 100 (unlikely), subtract IT from 100 to get the percentage.

This will be accurate to the percent +/- aboout 1%, but the farther you ride the more accurate it gets. Go over a hundred miles and your accuracy increases to 1/10th of a percent (+/- a tenth or so).

Anonymous
Fri Apr 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
The group buy that started to take off in this thread, has been split off and sent to the Wheels n Deals forum. Link here if you're too lazy to go find it:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5554