PDA

View Full Version : Pocket bikes

hrvstofsrrw
Tue Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Ok so i want to race bad, but being a college student im broke as broke can be. I was looking at racing class pocket bikes in the used range and they can be had for alot closer to my budget than a decent full size race bike is. I surely don't wanna go that route forever but im curious if i were to do that for a year or so about how much skill wise would you guys think would carry over. Unless someone on here is selling a bike in the 1k range as thats my budget.

Spiderman
Tue Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
1: They race pocket-bikes here in CO?!? :shock:

2: Not much carry-over from a pocket-bike to a sport-bike, sorry. :(

hrvstofsrrw
Tue Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
hell that sucks i was afriad of that if any of you guys know if the mra takes ex250's?

Bueller
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 05:18 AM
You better wait until you can afford it. You'll spend $1000 to race the first race weekend, and that wouldn't even include prepping your bike, which would get lapped by the third lap.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9551&highlight=race

BlueDevil
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I would pocket bike race as well but I have yet to find a formalized org in CO.... If U R willing to travel out of state U can probably get into it...but then there went your college student budget.....

In addition, I have seen many guys spend more pocket bike racing then I do sportbike racing in a season..... no hobby is cheep anymore... No not even golf... haha

I hope U find something that suits your need for speed....

hrvstofsrrw
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
yeah i do track days with my 93audi s4 and know how expensive that can get even doing it with the audi club, but the 3800lb sedan isnt exatcly as agile as the bike

rforsythe
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
2: Not much carry-over from a pocket-bike to a sport-bike, sorry. :(

I disagree. Crashing on one hurts just as much as the other! :oops:

BigE
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Rossi started out on pocket bikes when he was a kid so maybe they help a lil' bit. ;)

Fly boy
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
im thinking of getting a pocket bike and taking it to IMI just to get my knee down :)

BlueDevil
Thu Jan 25th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Ill disagree onthe crash thing.. but it does hurt like hell to highside and full throttle on a pocket.... haha

Im in a full lean left knee down and full throttle (Roughly 22 mph on my old CAG) The swing arm bent in mid corner causing the chain to lock and toss me off like a bad day at the rodeo... HAHA Luckily I was fully geared but still hurt. The fall was far less than on a full sizer though... haha

Westminster mall has a store now that has mini Benellis and R1's Not a "pocket bike" but they are minis... Some even are 4 strokes.... Nice)
Someday Ill get a new pocket and hit IMI up... Cant think of a better way to spend 25 bucks all day of fun...

Keepitgreen
Fri Jan 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Coming from Austin, they have a big racing series down there. If anyone ever flys into Austin, you can notice the race track just feet away from the taxi runway.
I remember it being called Iron Rock something or other. I thought about it once and awhile, but never did it.
Depending on the restrictions for the engines, there might be a good enough go-kart track that could be perfect for this.
Hell, even dirt-track out at the old dog track on 70E just past Beyers would be cool.