PDA

View Full Version : Riding in and around Keystone?

MikeN
Tue Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hey all... Dallas based sport bike rider here. Thinking about making a trip up your way in early June, and looking for some good riding areas. Perhaps even a GPS route of some good rides in the area. I will be basing out of Keystone.

Anyone got some info for me? :yumyum:

beavisr1
Tue Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
You are going to have to wait till June. LOL This is the longest cold snap and most consistant snow I have seen in the 9 years I have lived in Colorado. PLUS waiting for awhile means the roads are clear and the SAND is all gone.

Sully
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
There is a nice road from Keystone... you can take Loveland pass.. or the main road over to Breckenridge which can loop back into Denver...

salsashark
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
From Silverthorne, take US9 up through Kremmling then US40 into Steamboat Springs, then loop down 131 back to I-70 just west of Vail, then back to Silverthorne and repeat...

That should kill a day!

Just stay off of 134 outside of Kremmling... It sucks, you wouldn't like it... :devious:

Sully
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
hush.. let's not tell him where the really nice roads are... :p.... the less traffic, the better.... muahhhahhahaha !

denverbusa
Wed Jan 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Then what ever you do don't let him know about Mclure pass to Paonia Reservoir on the way to Black Canyon of the Gunnison!

And it's a good thing he is staying in Keystone instead of Glenwood Springs or Pagosa Springs. All the more room in the hot springs for us to wind down after a great days ride on the empty mountain roads.

ssssshhhhhhh....

edwardfe
Mon Feb 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I live near Keystone & ride the Mtn roads constantly! Loveland Pass is the best! After 5:30 PM the only vehicles up there are empty (east bound) and full (west bound) fuel trucks. the corners are engineered for motorcycle ballet...smooth throttle and precise braking earn you a safe and exciting ride to the top, then down to the east side for a lesson in riding down hill perfect corners.

Take a day. West on 6, drive under I-70, you are on 9 north. at Kremmling turn east on Hwy 40, through Byers Canyon, through Hot Sulpher Springs (get gas & a snack), Follow 40 East to 125 North, Willow Creek Road. It follows the Creek and has broad yet tight turns for many miles, traffic? Locals, fisherman & an hunter in season. Precision riding has rewards! As you reach the top look watch for gravel. Continue on 125. Stop in Rand and buy your honey one of the fabulous and affordable pieces of jewelery, the owners have terriffic taste. Go on into Walden, stop in Town & have lunch. Great folks! Got a neat Italian Bike? Tex will look you up! It's home of the Sport Bikin' Judge, good guy! Get gas.

Now head towards Highway 40 (Steamboat Springs), Take a Left, go East on 40! 8 miles out of Kremling, west side, turn Right, south on the Gore Pass. The road is narrower but plenty wide enough, have fun! At the intersection of 131, turn noth & stop in and get a cup of coffee at the little store. Back on 131, go south. Head for I-70. Stop at the T & get a smoothy before jumping on 70 East back to Keystone. There are a few details, side rides & more that I have missed, just lookmat hte map ypu'll figure it out! Look for roads that have Columbines, they are senic routes.

The Colorado Grand, the Euro Tours all use this route. I always run into someone I know & like riding with.

King Nothing
Mon Feb 12th, 2007, 08:27 PM
From Silverthorne, take US9 up through Kremmling then US40 into Steamboat Springs, then loop down 131 back to I-70 just west of Vail, then back to Silverthorne and repeat...

That should kill a day!

Just stay off of 134 outside of Kremmling... It sucks, you wouldn't like it... :devious:YES! YES! Stay off 134! :alien:

rideco
Tue Mar 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM
There is a nice road from Keystone... you can take Loveland pass.. or the main road over to Breckenridge which can loop back into Denver...

+1 loveland pass is sick but its kind of a short ride from keystone. I would ride it every morning just to warm up the tires then head out...
mike