PDA

View Full Version : engine adjustments.

yoda
Thu Apr 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM
who would you guys recomend for doing adjustments on the engine of my bike (91 honda cbr600f2) or qould anyone in the club help me out soi can try and same some money?

when i start my bike i can hear a kind of ringing or pinging sound but after it gets warm it stops, and i don't hear it coming form other bikes when they start, but they are also newer than mine would that be typical for a bike as old as mine.

just some info and help and recomendations are both greatly apreciated.

Hoopty
Thu Apr 8th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Sounds like your cam chain tensioner is going out (pretty common). You can pick up a manual one for $50, call TK or TFOG. :)

KooLaid
Thu Apr 8th, 2004, 02:41 PM
His has lasted this many years with stock, so I say stick with stock. Adjusting them is a B!TCH unless you have your bike apart often (race,stunt,CRASH). But if you really wanna manual one and you're in the springs area, Rocky Mountain has like 2 or 3 of them instock.

But it could be something else......The valves seem to make a similar sound to the cam chain tensioner. As long as it isn't a knock, you're pretty safe though. When was the last valve adjustment??? The hondas are good from the factory up to 30,000 miles, even though the book says like 16,000 miles before adjustment.

yoda
Thu Apr 8th, 2004, 02:46 PM
dont know the bike was stolen from the guy i bought it from so i dont know anything, i know i shouldn't have bought it without know the service history but i could not pass up a bike for $1,000 plus he let me make payments on the thing so. i dont know.

KooLaid
Thu Apr 8th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Do you know the mileage??? There's a few guys on cbrworld.net, that have over 100,000 miles on their F2. Just some TLC and that'll will be runnin' like perfect. I dunno if you know any, but guys who race midget sprint cars are like the other gods of the honda 600 motor. They were cranking out well over 100 hp in their cars with the f2-f3 motor.