PDA

View Full Version : battery question

pauliep
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
how bad is a bike battery that reads at 11.33v? i'm charging it in hopes of not having to buy a new one? recoverable?

Suki
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
you should buy a new one, and then give it to me and i'll give you my old one! :D the gsxr started right up!

pauliep
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
The last thing you gave me fucked me all up (rum&coke at new years party) so I'm a little hesitant

Lurch
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM
As long as it's holding a charge and starts the bike you should be OK. Start the bike and check voltage if it's not higher then the battery then you have other issues.

Lurch

pauliep
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM
I'll try that, thanks

The GECCO
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 09:32 PM
^^^
what he said

with the ignition and everything turned off, the battery should read somewhere in the range of 11-12.5 volts. keep in mind that you are measuring only voltage, not available amperage.

then turn the key on so the headlights come on and measure it again, the voltage should stay pretty much the same and not drop off. if it drops off rapidly then you have a lack of available amperage.

then start the motor and hold the rpms steady around 4k, the meter should read somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5

as long as the running voltage is in the 13.5-14.5 range your charging system is probably OK and the battery simply needs to be replaced. if the voltage doesn't rise when the motor is running, the battery is most likely dead because it isn't getting charged.

pauliep
Wed Jan 31st, 2007, 10:28 PM
great info Gecco. Big ups yourself.

pauliep
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
had the battery tested this morning with the response "replace battery"
it had less of a charge then it did before chargeing it, lol

Sully
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Your sissy sea level bike just can't handle this cold weather ! :p

pauliep
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
where's the nearest place that has batteries for good prices?

DevilsTonic
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
for OEM, you could go to Performance Cycle, TK Motosports may even have some...other than that you can get a knock off brand from batteriesplus.com they have local retailers as well.

I only know because I went through the same thing a week ago. :D

Sortarican
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:34 AM
where's the nearest place that has batteries for good prices?

Batteries Plus is usually inexpensive and has most common applications.
Go to Harbor Freight and get a battery tender for about $6-$8.

pauliep
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Batteries Plus is usually inexpensive and has most common applications.
Go to Harbor Freight and get a battery tender for about $6-$8.

Performance Cycle had the bikemaster for 55 and the Yuasa for 65. Pretty good prices from what I've researched so far

Sully
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
There is a Honda shop near Alameda and I-225.. and Excel Motorsports on Colfax near Quebec... not sure how much they are tho.. but they are significantly closer to you..

sprtbkbabe
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
There is a Honda shop near Alameda and I-225.. but they are significantly closer to you..

Yeah, on Potomac, north side of Alameda.

You can also see if a carQuest is nearby, they may have bike batterys

pauliep
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM
got a bikemaster from Excel

pauliep
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM
so my new battery was sitting in the car all day. should I let it cool off before pouring the acid in it? I read that you should charge frozen batteries.

The GECCO
Thu Feb 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Did I read that right? Never charge a frozen battery!!

If you have any doubts, put it inside overnight, then follow the manufacturers instructions for prepping it and the initial charge.