PDA

View Full Version : Bike wont start.....

Sparker
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 09:32 PM
:?

So i got out today to start up the TL and it fires right up with the "choke" and i notice its running a little uneasy and this is normal so i give it some gas and it does on it. i try to start it again and it tries to turn over a few times and you can hear it fire but then it wont do anything. you just hear the starter going. i can still feel puffs of exaust out the pipe. im thinking that i may have just flooded it cause you can smell a little bit of gas. never had a problem starting it before. maybe with it being a little cold in my garage and that i may of just flooded it. any input?

Anonymous
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Kinda hard to flood a fuel injected bike...

Pull the plugs and look for wetness or fouling. Also, you do have gas (and petcock is on) right?

Sparker
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
yea ive got gas. only have 20 miles on this tank. place i always get gas from. 91 octane so i dont think it would be the gas.

Bryce
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
ya might try checking fuses to see if possibly the fuse for the ignition system is blown and if not check to see if you have a spark

towneh
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ralph is right..... pull your plugs! (probably foul)

Zin
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:05 PM
You probably fouled the plugs. I just did it to my R1 a few days ago

Sparker
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Sorry for my stupididty....how would the plugs just foul with me trying to just start it though? i could see if i were jumping it off a running vehicle cause i did that to my last bike a few times.

Sparker
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:13 PM
oh, and i checked the fuses. they are all good to go.

Bertha
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM
It's happened to me on my Aprilia...

What I did:

Pulled all 4 plugs.. *yes 4 plugs on a v-twin... strange...*
Cleaned the plugs, made sure they little sparky thing *for lack of correct word* was clean...
Put it all back together and just checked the batt to make sure I had 12v.
After everything checked out, she started up after a try or two... :) Let her run up to temp and you should be good to go...

Anonymous
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Plugs don't foul from jump starting - they foul from improper fuel mixture, too much fuel, oil, etc.

Pull both of them and post back what they look like (are they wet? color of the residue? "goopy" or "dry"?)... That's the first thing I'd check. What those look like can tell you how your engine's running.

Also make sure the plug wires are on all the way, air filter is clean, etc. Does it turn over ok? (low battery could turn the engine but not power the injectors properly) Any warning or error codes?

FI is a little harder to troubleshoot than carbs, but let's start with the basics and go from there, it's usually something simple.

Bertha
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Aye listen to the man he's spot on... It's funny how your plugs will "talk" to you

Anonymous
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Aye listen to the man he's spot on... It's funny how your plugs will "talk" to you

He's not talkin about those "special" plugs you use, newt... :o

Carry on. :lol:

Bertha
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Hey you enjoyed them last night...

Sparker
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Hey you enjoyed them last night...

Didnt invite me? Im hurt, and not in that good way.

Bertha
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Didnt invite me? Im hurt, and not in that good way.

Hmm looks like we've got ourselves another :gay:

Please talk to Briz he's the boards local :gay: he'll make you feel at home...

macktastic brake grabber
Sun Apr 11th, 2004, 11:59 PM
so did you get the bike started or not??? sure glad i never have thes kind of problems with my economy bike.( F2 ) you can also carbon foul a plug , and even if you clean it it still wont fire. i had this problem with my mx, ers. my bike started right up today. must be cause its a HUNDAH. :lol:
BIG

Sparker
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:16 AM
YES! its back up and running. that is one thing i dont wanna do again. have to take off the radiator, all the fairings(except the rear), and like 500 bolts. but thanxs to the real slim its all good now.

Bertha
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:38 AM
weee go me... and ralph... yeah mine are a PAIN to get out of my bike... gotta take the whole airbox off to get to them... One think I do it always let me bike run for a little while before I turn it off.. letting it run for like 30sec - 1 min can cause that

Bryce
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:43 AM
weee go me... and ralph... yeah mine are a PAIN to get out of my bike... gotta take the whole airbox off to get to them... One think I do it always let me bike run for a little while before I turn it off.. letting it run for like 30sec - 1 min can cause that

that aint no shit I helped pull the plugs out of your bike last year it's a bitch

Bertha
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:55 AM
wonder if the new 04 motor is easier... the old rotex motor is a PITA!

bulldog
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Changing the plugs on the F4I was a b*tch too :x . Had to move the radiator and the airbox :cussing:

Hoopty
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM
:imwithstupid: PITA on an F4i!!! :x Damn Honduh enginerds!!!! :321:

yakuza
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Weird, I didn't think it was that big a deal on my F4i. :dunno:

Hoopty
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Did you have to lift the airbox to get the inside ones pulled? :x

yakuza
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I don't think so, I think I just had to move the radiator forward a bit, and they came right out.

Sparker
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:12 PM
so are you saying that i should or shouldnt let it run for 30-60 seconds after i get back?

Hoopty
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 12:31 PM
We moved the radiator on bulldog's bike, but still had to lift the airbox to get the plug/tool out. We followed the directions and they didn't say anything about lifting the airbox. Maybe you just need girly hands. :? :lol: Really though, I don't think it would have mattered if we had smaller hands...

Anonymous
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
so are you saying that i should or shouldnt let it run for 30-60 seconds after i get back?

No reason to. Just idling can foul them out too, though usually not enough to cause problems. If you're going to run it, kick the RPM's up a bit, then clsoe throttle and kill it. Since you can't lean it out manually this is the next best thing.

Though just coming in and killing the motor will work... The next time you ride it should burn whatever's left on there (unless you're running rich).