PDA

View Full Version : Georgia riders planning a CO trip

Musicman
Mon Feb 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm trying to organise a trip to Colorado next summer with a bunch of sport bikers from Georgia. We are going to truck our bikes out to Denver and ride from there for about 6 days. We will be coming back to Denver and trucking the bikes home. We think we want to base ourselves out in SW Colorado, maybe in Ouray and loop out of there.

Can you guys suggest an interesting twisty route there, including some good detours... and back by a different twisty/scenic route and most importantly, some good loops to ride in SW CO?

Your guidance would be appreciated!!

Musicman

Ducati S4R
Aprilia Futura

Gramps
Tue Feb 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
interesting......

there is a group of us from here that make the trek to your neck of the woods every year to ride the gap

a couple of questions for ya.....

what is your expectation/anticipation of what the trip will be

why ouray

why the sw corner

just asking a few questions to see what you have planned and if there was any way we could be of help.

that area is really not very easily accessible for daily rides from denver so there are not a lot of folk who have ridden that area on a regular basis.

later

The GECCO
Tue Feb 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I gotta agree with Gramps, I question the idea of basing yourselves out of Ouray. While there is some great riding there, you are sort of isolating yourself.

If it were me, I would set up a "base camp" along I-70 in Glenwood Springs, Breckenridge, Dillon, or somewhere close. From there you can make just about any of the worthwhile loops, North or South, into a one-day trip if you really wanted to.

No matter what, if you come to Colorado you can't leave without riding over Trail Ridge Road (Highway 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park, West of Loveland) This is the highest continuously paved road on the planet, the summit is above 11,000' elevation and the views simply have to be seen to be believed.

My $.02

T-byrd
Tue Feb 6th, 2007, 08:06 AM
He' planning Ouray because there is an organized Ducati group going down there. :)

Tanya

rforsythe
Tue Feb 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Well, the first thing I suggest is picking up one of the big red Delorme atlases for Colorado; they have very detailed road maps, and are invaluable if you find yourself at the intersection of County Road Z and Bob's Street somewhere and need to get home. They're also good for locating some scenic places.

Ouray is a pretty out of the way place; I wonder if Nick_Ninja or Henry might know more, they tend to go on the long-haul rides. If you can get up to Trail Ridge definitely do it, it's one of those "must see" things if you're coming out this way.

denverbusa
Tue Feb 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
What is the rider experience of your group. How many miles would / could you do in a day comfortably.

Are you here to sightsee and do some riding or are you here to ride and do some sightseeing?

The routes could vary depending upon those factors. I agree with Glenwood Springs as a base camp. The vapor caves and a massage at Yampa Hot Springs is the best way to relax after a long day in the saddle.

Look up the older threads also for good routes. If a Sat. or Sun. morning in Denver works out you are more than welcome stop by one of the local meeting spots and head out with us.

Slo
Wed Feb 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Musicman, I used to be on GSB forums while I lived in Marietta up to about a year ago, went to a few meets and rode the loop a few times during the year I was there for the 1 year. I think my old screen name was Slo10r, SloRR, and SloRSV.....Anyways, keep in touch and let me know when you head out this way and who else is coming.....

towneh
Wed Feb 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Well, the first thing I suggest is picking up one of the big red Delorme atlases for Colorado; they have very detailed road maps, and are invaluable if you find yourself at the intersection of County Road Z and Bob's Street somewhere and need to get home. They're also good for locating some scenic places.

Ouray is a pretty out of the way place; I wonder if Nick_Ninja or Henry might know more, they tend to go on the long-haul rides. If you can get up to Trail Ridge definitely do it, it's one of those "must see" things if you're coming out this way.

greetings all,

my ideas and opinions.... nothing more. for variety of terrain and points of lodging to be within easy reach i've got a loop that includes Durango, Silverton, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, Alamosa, Pagosa Springs, finally returning to Durango. Throw in Ouray and its about 500 miles. Trail Ridge Road, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and other "canyon treats" can easily be added. An atlas is a good investment; so is a gps.

hope that helps,
bus_henry :)

FZRguy
Sun Feb 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
There’s some excellent riding around Ouray, but you really need to do some point to point days to ride the best that the southwest part of the state has to offer. Tops on the list is Hwy 92 from Blue Mesa Dam to Hotchkiss, McClure Pass 133, the Grand Mesa/Hwy 65, Hwy 141 just south of Grand Jct all the way to Cortez, Wolf Creek Pass/160 riding west to east, Hwy 149 from South Fork to Gunnison. Get out your map and you’ll notice that these roads make a nice loop from Gunnison…guaranteed to put a big grin on your face for a couple of weeks. Hwy 550 is cool also but expect mucho tourists driving slow moving RVs.

daemon
Mon Feb 26th, 2007, 07:27 AM
this thread may help you alittle...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191772

mtnairlover
Mon Feb 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I like this online map http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/mapsw.html, cuz clicking on any particular area of the map will give you details about that area. The major roads in SW CO are also nicely marked, and you've got an idea of the "places to see" on your visit. If you plan on just riding, then you may miss some pretty spectacular stuff. Some areas of note include, but are not limited to: Hovenweep and Canyon of the Ancients Natl. Monument; Mesa Verde Natl. Park; Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl. Park. Ouray is a nice central point for southwest CO as well. You've got lots to see, as well as lots of mountain passes and ranges to view (the only drawback to this online map is that it doesn't show passes or ranges). Other towns that are great little places include Telluride, Silverton, and Durango. I wouldn't leave out a trek down to the Northwestern corner of New Mexico either. There are ruins down there and one of the roads, if memory serves correctly, is nice and twisty (either 550, or 140 from Durango...it leads through Eagle's Nest).

Enjoy your time...I know you will.

Edit: Oh and btw, a route to take down to Ouray might include hwy 285 from Morrison south to Poncha Springs. Then west on hwy 50 to Gunnison and from there, you can either stay on hwy 50 west through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to hwy 550 and then south to Ouray, or you can break away at hwy 149 going south to Lake City and then head west to Ouray. Going back? Um, let's see...come back up hwy 550 north up to Delta and then head east/northeast on 133 through Hotchkiss, Paonia, Somerset, Redstone, and Carbondale, then veer southeast on 82 through Aspen and Twin Lakes and then take 24 from Granite to Buena Vista. From there, you can take 24 west to Colorado Springs (then I-25 north to Denver), or you can take 285 back to Morrison and then Denver.

beavisr1
Fri Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
That guy has only one post and this thread has been up for how long? :dunno Admins check his activity. I just hope he has found the roads/way he was looking for? LOL