PDA

View Full Version : chain life

Roland
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 09:10 PM
I was curious if any of you knew how long a chain lasts? Obviously there a re many variables but just on average. Is there any kind of unwritten interval for chain/sprocket replacement. I ask because I have a chain with 13k on it. It has been well maintained but is starting to show little bits of galling.

Thnx
Roland 02 R6

firefghtr
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 10:36 PM
i probably don't know about that as much as some people on here but id say its about time for a new chain

1000RR
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Not completely sure about Yamahas, but in your service manual you probably have a chain spec measurement. Normally you count out a number of links and measure the distance from link 1 pin 1 to say link 20 pin 2 and compare that to the spec to determine stretch.

You can also set the bike on a center or rear stand and spin the tire in neutral to check for tight spots.

If the chain is just looking bad, you can pull it off and soak that puppy in kerosene, dry it well and wax it.

I've been told that when you have a chain thats as old as yours, when you finally replace it you should also replace the sprockets. Not sure if thats fact or just money grubbing bike shop talk.

KooLaid
Mon Apr 12th, 2004, 11:11 PM
18,000 miles, stock 525 on my F4i. Should have replaced it at about 16,000 miles or a bit earlier. You're just about there, if it lives outdoors or gets exposed to quite a bit of moisture, might has well replace it sometime soon. If it's taked care of pretty well, it can last a while longer. I say replace it before summer rolls around so you'll have a fresh drivetrain to beat up. Don't forget sprockets too.

bulldog
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Mine needed changing at about 14,000 miles. Looking at the previous post maybe I didn't take good enough care of it.

KooLaid
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM
nah, i was just holding out, 14,000 is a good amount. Mine started to go out FAST past 16,000 miles, stretched like crazy after that point. The weather here destroyed it pretty quickly, and started to look like @ss. I use two different lubes, one with and one w/o teflon. Switching between them dependant on weather and temperature. Lube every 500 miles or sooner, and after every time there is significant moisture in the air like rain/snow that contacts the bike.

Dysco
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:08 AM
My record for short chain life is 3,000 miles. Longest is 9k. Of course I'm different than you guys.... :D

dgoldan
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM
If the chain is just looking bad, you can pull it off and soak that puppy in kerosene, dry it well and wax it.

Along those lines, where can you buy kerosene, and how do you dispose of it afterwards?

Hoopty
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Duggan's Petroleum off Santa Fe/Union on the frontage road sells it. I torch mine when I'm done. :D j/k

BenDover
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:15 AM
You can get kerosene at Home Depot. Disposing of it is a different story. Maybe buy a kerosene heater and pour it in there after you soak the chain? :? :idea: :D

KooLaid
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Kerosene, never used it. I stick with using Silkolene or Honda Brand Contact Cleaner, O-ring safe. EXPENSIVE but it evaporates really fast, and easy to use.

bulldog
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I use kerosene too...... I just let it evaporate :P

Jmetz
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 02:23 PM
and how do you dispose of it afterwards?

I like to make Malotov Cocktails out of it :twisted: :D :twisted:

Anonymous
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
No idea how to dispose of kerosene, but HD sells it in 5 gal drums. I have a crapload of it if anyone needs any.

If you are replacing the chain and sprockets on a 600 you may as well go to a 520 conversion. You're not putting out enough power to need anything bigger, and you'll like the lighter weight (i.e. faster) the 520 gives ya. Plus I think they're cheaper anyway.

jontflesh
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I got about 19k on my original OEM chain on my GSXR before changing it out. Probably still had at least 5k left on it.
I never wheelied or did burnouts.
As for mantience I cleaned with WD-40 and lubed with Foaming Chain Wax every 3k or so.

:)

towneh
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
The RF900R had a worst-case chain/sprocket life span of 9000 miles. That was a 3 week period with one day covering over 1500 miles. The Busa seems to be hanging well so far with 5000 miles. I clean the chain/sprocket with kerosene, then spray with wax-lube by Maxima
-my .02-
henry

Roland
Tue Apr 13th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I appreciate all the feedback.
I have taken excellent care of this chain, but recently had a track day.
before the track day it was tight to specs but after it is quite loose with only about 500 miles since the last adjustment. Anyway I kind of figured that it was time so I was just curious how you all felt about chain life.
Thnx again

Roland
02R6 ;)

bulldog
Wed Apr 14th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I agree with Ralp, get a 520 if you are going to get a new chain/sprockets.