PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Ads private to members?

BlueDevil
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Is it just me or does it not show all the items in the for sale section unless you are signed in? What the hell good is it to sell stuff if its only to people who are members? I browse 20 forums to buy stuff yet Im only a member of a handful of them.... If this is the case, there may be an item you are trying to sell, that more than half the people looking cant even see it....

Or is it only me? :banghead:

Devaclis
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Prevents trolls, and spammers from trying to sell items before they contribute to the forums. This is not craigslist. The for sale section is a priveledge that members are given. Not an open classified section for everyone on the interweb :)

rforsythe
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure anyone can see the For Sale ads all day long, whether you are signed in or not. To post an ad you need to meet the criteria (i.e. have 15 posts in other forums or be a Site Supporter), which is how we keep the spammers out.

I'll double check the forum permissions to make sure anyone can read the ads in any event.

AshliRider44
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Prevents trolls, and spammers from trying to sell items before they contribute to the forums. This is not craigslist. The for sale section is a priveledge that members are given. Not an open classified section for everyone on the interweb :)

I can understand not letting them sell stuff on here, but other people not on the forum should be able to see the "For Sale" advertisements to help people's stuff sell faster. No harm there. :dunno:

Sully
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
BlueDevil is correct, I have to be signed in to see all the items listed for sale... if I'm not signed in, I can only see 1 or 2 posted... :dunno: :think:

Devaclis
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Stop peepin my adds woman!!!

Sully
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Then zip up your zipper please ! gahh... PreVert ! teee hee !

BlueDevil
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah I can only see a handful when signed out... sign in and pages of them appear......

If we restrict the sight of them..then it defeats the purpose of selling on this forum... I know its not a for sale forum but it is a feature that makes me surf it every day... Im assuming others too... The 1st page I look at is whats for sale and who wants what.... Just my .02

The spammer thing... I would think thats in the software protection but Im not a PC guru on that subject.... No other forum seems to have the prob (Except WERA) I absolutely agree with having rules on who can post for sale and when.. I can see how that helps for sure....

Devaclis
Tue Feb 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I am not an admin, I just play one on CSC. I do pretend to know why he CSC does what it does so you should take everything I say as gospel.

That being said, I have no idea why they set it up that way. I just assume.

BlueDevil
Tue Feb 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Still no go on that huh>??

Mel
Tue Feb 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
All For Sale ads are viewable both signed in and logged out. If you are only seeing a portion of them, I suspect it is a setting issue...scroll to the bottom of the forum page you are looking at and check your "display options". If you want to see all posts ever, select "beginning" under the "from" catagory. Hope this helps ;)

rforsythe
Sun Feb 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Ahhh, that was it Mel. The permissions were set right, but there was a default set to show the last day of posts. You can show all if you change the menu at the bottom even if you aren't a user, but that's annoying. I set forsale/wanted to show all posts. Ideally all forums would do that, but the rest are probably set to 1 Day right now as well. I'm too hungry and lazy to jack with it at the moment.