PDA

View Full Version : An Experience with Colorado Powersports (Boulder)

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I have been following the thread/poll on various area dealerships and had an experience at the Colorado Powersports Boulder (henceforth CPB) location yesterday that you all might be interested in. First, some background on myself. I've been riding since 1984 when I bought a 500 Interceptor new. I still have the bike and it is in great shape. Over the years, I have added other bikes to the collection. I take care of my stuff.

Last year at the end of May, I saw a 2005 20th anniversary edition GSX-R 750 on the floor at CPB and I really liked the paint scheme on it. I didn't have to be sold on the capability of the machine itself. I hadn't bought a new bike since the 500 Interceptor and I decided that it was time I rewarded myself with a new toy. Negotiated a good price and took it home. Road it the rest of the summer, even riding it to work several times per week. When the weather turned colder in November, I wasn't riding it to work as much (but I was riding it every weekend) and one week went by when I didn't ride it at all during the week. I went to start it on the weekend and the battery was obviously discharged. At first I thought maybe something was draining it. I charged it back up but I could only get it to crank a couple of times before it was too weak. So, I stopped in at CPB and talked to Aaron (service manager) about it. He said that manufacturers claimed that if you went a week or more without riding or charging, that the battery would do that. I was incredulous because I've had bikes for quite a while and I have never had a problem with a battery because I didn't ride the bike for a week. But I took his advice and left it on the charger all the time (it charges periodically). The battery just got worse and worse until last weekend when I took it off the charger and it wouldn't crank at all.

So, I took the battery in on Saturday and Aaron said they'd put it on their charger and check it out. Went back yesterday after work to pick it up. I went back to the service desk and stood there for at least ten minutes in plain site of at least two people. Finally Ace happened to come by and see me there. He obviously knew that I had been there a while because he made a kurt comment to the two people that should have assisted me when I walked up about their lack of attention to a customer. One of those two made a comment to him that I couldn't quite make out but it was obviously counter to his correct assertion that they weren't doing their job. I talked to Ace about the battery and he said that Suzuki wouldn't cover it and I needed to buy a new one. I thanked him and proceeded to talk to the manager, Kurt Finley.

I told Kurt that I thought I was being fed, and I quote, "a load of horseshit" from the service guys for telling me that a battery could fail catastrophically if I didn't ride the bike one week or if I only rode 40 minutes a day to and from work. Now, I may have a bit of a southern accent (grew up in South Carolina) but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck as we say back there. For the record, I have had a grand total of three different batteries in the 500 over the 23 years I've had it. Kurt explained the situation with batteries and that Suzuki wouldn't replace it, so a new battery would mean that either he paid for it or I did. My response was that I had laid down $10K for a bike from him and less than 6 months later the battery failed. And that in December, I had just bought another brand new bike (the new Interceptor). In the last nine months I've spent about $25K there. He offered to split the price. I declined, stating that on principle he needed to take care of this. I don't care what Suzuki's policy is. I bought the bike from CPB, not Suzuki. That battery was defective and I was a good customer asking him to do the right thing.

To his credit, he agreed to give me the battery. He is out the cost of a battery but by doing the right thing, I will remain a customer (assuming I don't have to wait ten minutes at an empty counter everytime I come in) and it is a good business decision for him. I am a big believer in supporting the local businesses and I am happy to pay a little more for things if I have a shop I can go to and be treated right. I am disappointed that it was such a struggle for a manager/owner to do the right thing for a good customer who had a legitimate complaint. As a former business owner who started, built, and eventually sold a business for which customer service was the yardstick of success, perhaps I am a bit spoiled. But I don't think so. I'll give them the opportunity to have my business. Let's see how they do.

Dirk

konichd
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
So in summary, you've spent 25K+ the last year and they couldn't even give you a 65 dollar battery? I would be looking for a new dealership to do business with. :dunno:

~Barn~
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
No, they did give him a battery, he just had to jump through too many hoops to convince them to.

Either way though, glad you got it worked out in your favor, Dirk.

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
So in summary, you've spent 25K+ the last year and they couldn't even give you a 65 dollar battery? I would be looking for a new dealership to do business with. :dunno:

Note that, in the end, they did give the battery. They weren't happy about it, but they did. (When asked by the parts desk about what account account it should be charged to, he said something about his kids' college fund, which didn't strike me as particularly professional.) Therefore, I am going to give them the opportunity of having my business. We'll see how they do.

Dirk

konichd
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
DK don't jump through hoops

Sully
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
You did the other night baby... :eyebrows:... you even sat up and begged.. :lol:

- and back on topic - Turnip - I'm glad they finally decided to replace the battery... what is $xx dollars to them when you've just given them $25K... it's good business IMO.. But some business and salesman can be total idiots when it comes to customer retention...

I've had the same battery in my bike since I bought it, new ! No problems (knock on wood)... but I don't necessarily get to ride it every week like the manufacturers claim you should to avoid battery problems.. but I NEVER have a problem starting my bike up... :up:... She's such an good girl !

konichd
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Sully says "jump, DK says "how hi?" ;)

I think its BS how you got treated though, no matter if they gave you a new battery. Every dealership makes mistakes, its how they correct their mistakes that keeps my business. They kicked and screamed over a $65 battery? Give me a break, I wasn't happy with my service plan at Grand Prix and the owner (Bill is AWESOME) cut me a check and didn't complain once, just asked how he could service me better in the future. :)

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'm glad they finally decided to replace the battery... what is $xx dollars to them when you've just given them $25K... it's good business IMO.. But some business and salesman can be total idiots when it comes to customer retention...

Every dealership makes mistakes, its how they correct their mistakes that keeps my business. They kicked and screamed over a $65 battery? Give me a break

That's how I felt about it. I mean, it was clear that I hadn't done something wrong and wasn't just trying to weasel a battery out of them.

Like you, Sully, I have on many occasions gone more than a five days without cranking the bike and I have never had a battery problem. Of course those are my old Hondas so maybe I'm just spoiled and the Suzuki just isn't up to the task. Not.

Sully
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
My Gix is an '02.. no problems.. and I didn't even start it for like a month ... turned right over.. :drool:.. love dat bike !

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
:drool:.. love dat bike !

Yep, I like the Gixxer a lot too. Can't wait to get it on the track.

Update: I stopped by CPB after work and picked up the battery. The good thing is that I will probably be able to ride it tomorrow so the battery won't be dead on Sunday. :rolleyes: