PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to SD???

Scer
Fri Apr 16th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I was thinking about taking the R6 down to San Diego later this month on the 29th. I will stay there till about monday the 3rd. Any takers on a quick road trip???

PS. I might be able to get free rooms at friends houses.

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM
i might be interested , have a great trailer, and truck and friends call me
720-299-8251

towneh
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 08:00 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/uploads/Untitled1.JPG :lol:

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM
henry you're such a smarta$$ :lol:

Scer
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 07:29 AM
:lol:

Actually I was thinking about making it a bike ride down. I can only see the weather being bad on I-70 towards vail and stuff, if that. Would have tro take a lot of stops on the wy but should be fun. PLus I want to see what the R6 can do at sea level. :twisted:

macktastic brake grabber
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
well, that was my idea. trailer the bikes to sea level , then my butt will be able to ride after i get there, not too much fun to ride at sea lavel after a 600-700 mile trip , the old butt is dyin. i may get stuck here working anyway.
big

KooLaid
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM
600-700"???? Damn dude, which way are YOU going????? My drive home to cali is over 1400 miles, I can see it being 1100 miles to the coast but 6-700???? You gotta share this !!!

macktastic brake grabber
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM
ok ok so i didnt do my homework so give me detention...... damn man
big

Scer
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 09:53 PM
ha ha, yeah diego isn't a 700 mile trip. Although we can make it seem like it on the bikes. :twisted:

macktastic brake grabber
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 10:34 PM
if you plan on riding 2200 miles round trip, you better plan on more than 6 days my friend, hell it will take you 2 days to recover from the trip there. at least it would me.
big

GSL
Tue Apr 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Scer,

Please do your bike a favor and stay off the Interstate. There's some excellent riding between here and SD, and none of it is Interestate. :up:

Scer
Tue Apr 20th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Forgive my ignorance but is it bad to ride a lot of highway on a bike?

Wahooman
Tue Apr 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Think he was just stating to ride your bike where it wants to be riden....not down a straight highway, but through the twisties....a bit more xciting. :D

Scer
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 01:25 AM
I agree, but not very time efficient.

Has anyone gone on any road trips with their bikes yet?

KooLaid
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 03:38 AM
I've only done big road trips or semi big in cali, like from fresno to our cabin in mammoth lakes.

Dysco
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM
If you're planning a REALLY long ride, it's not a great idea to throw a bunch of twisties in the middle since you'll be pretty darn tired. That said, I can show you a great 'shortcut' between I-70 and I-15. Also: 1100 miles is doable on the first day but divide the trip back into 2 pieces.

Scer
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM
Can you show me that route dysco??

Dysco
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 11:38 AM
It adds about 45 minutes to your travel time but there's a big risk of deer- so do it when the sun is high up (I have pics of a 1150RT that just cut bambi in half on this road). Cross the border into UT, go south on 72, and behold sweeper paradise. The road is in good shape except for a few tar strips so take it easy on the throttle and you should be ok. Take 24 northwest to 62 south- this is all farmland with few cops and some nice corners. Then you have the option of taking 153 or 20 to the interstate. Both are canyon runs and I can't remember which one I did. Some parts of the roads are open range and I did encounter a bull on the curvies- kinda funny at the time since the thing was bigger than most cars on the road :lol:

Overall, it's not dangerous and REALLY fun. I did it after having already done 800 miles and it wasn't too difficult in half-light.

GSL
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Scer,

I didn't mean that riding highway would hurt your bike, just that it would be a shame to go that far and only see straight and flat.

Here's a route that'll knock your socks off!

Start Denver
285 to Poncha Springs
Highway 50 over Monarch Pass (and others) to Montrose
South on 550 to Ridgeway
Make sure you gas up in Ridgeway
West on 62 to Placerville
North on 145 to Naturita - gas up again
West on 90 to UT 46
South on 191 to Blanding - gas up
95 to Hanksville
24 thru Capital Reef Nat Park
South/west on Highway 12!!!!!! The Grand Staircase!! into Escalante (take your camera)
South on 89 to 9 and thru Zion Nat Park (combined twisties and tunnels!) :D
Get on the Interstate in St. George - I would stick to the Interstate thru the Mohave Desert in case your bike has any troubles. Don't want to be out on some lonely road in the middle of the desert. ;)

Here's a general pic
http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/3634310-L.jpg

861 miles of twisties and mountains vs. 631 of boring Interstate to get to St. George, UT. There are plenty of alternatives, but you get the idea.[/img]

GSL
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 04:34 PM
The other obvious alternative would be to stay on 191 down into Arixona and ride thru Show Low.... :D :D

But that dumps you into the Phoenix area, which is already gettin mighty hot. Plan to arrive after sunset and make the trip across the desert at night, on the Interstate.

My $0.02

Scer
Thu Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Nice!!! Thanks for the pic. Makes it very clear. Sure nobody wants to come???

Twist on twistas

towneh
Thu Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Riding solo is a challenge in itself. Your buddy can make sure you're staying sharp (mentally acute...), watch your stuff at the pump while you take a whiz, etc. AND share the experience.

I won't be doing any long rides til the end of June. I've got my aux lamps doin' what they're supposed to do but I'm waiting for my radar detector and adding wiring connections to the electrics. (still working on the load balancing...).

Have a great trip; the long way via the Escalantes is something that I want to do when i'm on a short trip (like Lost Wages... :lol: )

cheers,
Henry

KooLaid
Thu Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
watch out for armadillos on the highway.

adjunkie
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I attempted to make this same trip during spring break. I had about 7 days total. After riding for two days and arriving in flagstaff, I said fuck this. I turned around and kicked it with my boys in albuquerque for a few days. My advice is to go and stay out there for a while. Also, make it a 3 or 4 day trip out. Stop and see the sights, go out, stay in places with hot tubs. Bring a personal massuese if possible. Good luck, watch out for tires in the middle of the road, I had one beef with me.

towneh
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 06:31 AM
gotta have lotsa lights to see "road gators" in the night !!! sometimes i go riding the long hauls for the tourist stuff and othertimes for the outright challenge...
henry

Coloradoray
Tue Apr 27th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Hi Scer,

861 miles of twisties and mountains vs. 631 of boring Interstate to get to St. George, UT. There are plenty of alternatives, but you get the idea.[/img]

Speaking as an experienced distance rider, I would not suggest anyone try to make it to St George in one day if you take the scenic route. If you are riding two lane roads, I usually plan for about 500 miles per day as the speed limits are usually less than 55 mph, plus you have to deal with traffic, lower speed limits around towns, and in some places critters on the road. Read the Iron Butt Assoc Archieves of Wisdom (http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm) for distance riding info.

GSL
Tue Apr 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Scer,

Speaking as an experienced distance rider, I would not suggest anyone try to make it to St George in one day if you take the scenic route. If you are riding two lane roads, I usually plan for about 500 miles per day as the speed limits are usually less than 55 mph, plus you have to deal with traffic, lower speed limits around towns, and in some places critters on the road. Read the Iron Butt Assoc Archieves of Wisdom (http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm) for distance riding info.

Well, I guess since you're quoting ME, I will point out that nowhere in my post do I tell him how many days it takes to get anywhere.

Try http://www.hookedonphonics.com/ :)

towneh
Tue Apr 27th, 2004, 06:47 PM
hi will,
i would have summerized by pointing out your "level of experience" indicated by your signature bar..... :lol: ;)

IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold

cheers,
henry

GSL
Tue Apr 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Henry,

You think it's over the edge?

;)

towneh
Wed Apr 28th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Hi Henry,

You think it's over the edge?

;)

no, no..... not at all. i think you made it clear. i just like icing on the cake (that explains my dimensions...). :D BTW... congrats on the BBG.
later,
henry (3kss as a warm-up coming soon)

Mista Black
Wed Apr 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Speaking as an experienced distance rider, I would not suggest anyone try to make it to St George in one day if you take the scenic route. If you are riding two lane roads <snip>

I did the CO 1000 several years ago on mostly two lane and/or twisties (1050 miles total with maybe 400 interstate) in 13 hours 15 minutes. I did the route backwards and covered 600 miles before seeing the first participant heading the other way. At that point most of the twisties were behind me but quite a bit of 2-lane still in front of me.

Mista Black
Wed Apr 28th, 2004, 05:39 AM
and besides.... everyone who drives the speed limit in twisties please raise your hands and fall asleep. :lol: :P

GSL
Wed Apr 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
and besides.... everyone who drives the speed limit in twisties please raise your hands and fall asleep. :lol: :P

LOL! :lol:

Scer
Wed Apr 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I am wide awake!!

Now that the weather has changed so much in the last couple of days I might have to postpone the ride for now.

:cry:

But the routes you guys have shown me are going to be much better than what I had planned. At least I will be more ready when I do go on the trip.
Thanks fellas!!!