PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: 1997 zx9r

japrules
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I am getting tired already of my old sport bike.. a 1984 GPZ 750. Its sorta fast and all, but it handles for crap. Its a great sportbike starter though..

I am looking at a 1997 Kawi zx9r.. Its local, I do not know how many miles on it yet, has a pipe, was downed off the stand (scratches) and has a radiator leak.. guy wants $3000... why would the radiator leak? I know very little about this bike.. Does it have any chronic problems I should look for? Not knowing miles... how many miles before this motor is tired?

I have been riding my GPZ for 2 yrs.. I had an old BMW before that about 5 yrs ago that I rode for one summer.. I am JUST starting to push my GPZ 750.. to the point where I don't like how it handles, its twitchy and just not very fun in tight turns.. And getting good tires for its 18" wheels is kind of a pain. And it needs a paint job and I will use any excuse to by a cool looking bike like the zx9r..

But, I wonder also, is this too much bike for me at this point? The only reason why I am considering it is the price seems insane... I can fix the radiator myself.. I'll just braze it if its not too bad.. I'm 39 :cry: yrs old BTW.. pretty respnsible and have alot of car racing experience.. (road course).. I have never downed a bike, and thinking maybe I should have that experience before I buy one like this.. but I am not about to go out and force that situation!

Oh an how much is insurance gonna be??? My GPZ is NOT classified as a superbike.. so I pay like $250 a year.. will this one be about double?

Thoughts? :|

Joe

Rick T.
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 09:11 AM
First, welcome to the CSC. You'll discover this is a GREAT place for motorcyclists, no matter what you ride.

This is pretty mucht he "standard" answer you may get - start small. Try a 600cc machine. The CBR600 F2 (or equivalent) is a great starter bike. Smaller bikes are better tools to learn on - they're lighter, usually cheaper (initial price AND insurance), and are easier to progress in vs. a liter bike lilke the 9R you're thinking of. After taking a basic course, practically ANYone can "ride" a bike - "handling" a motorcycle is a whole different story. A smaller bike will help you learn more, faster...

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I'm 37... and not crying. :)

Dysco
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Radiator leaks are usually bad hoses or caused by a crash. I did have one that leaked from a rock being wedged under a radiator but that doesn't usually happen on sportbikes. It's a good price though- depends on how much work you want to do. If you want sportbike handling and a standard feel (and MUCH cheaper insurance), try the honda 919 or 599- I put 9k miles on a 919 (before totalling it) and I miss it every day. I only say that since you seem to be into 'standards' given your first 2 bikes.

Rick- I think he's telling us he does have decent riding experience.

japrules
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I would say I am not looking for a "standard".. definately a sportbike.. the GPZ (1983 really) is the first of the "uni shock" sportbikes.. I really like the feel for the most part.. I hated my BMW.. never got comfortable.. the GPZ is a comfortable bike but 1984 was just the beginning of the sportbike days.. at least sportbikes as we know them now. I have a friend who used to race and he says that bike technology moves quickly as years go by and I would be much more comfortable on a newer bike..

As for my ability.. I think Rick has a point.. a few yrs on a bike is not much when it comes to a really powerful sportbike.. I think this bike is a bit much for me but I am having trouble passing up the price.. I haven't seen it yet and I don't even know the mileage but for what I know about it at this point its a really good deal.. ebay sales are well over 4k for a 97 zx9r... BUT, a 600 would be more suitable for me I am sure.. I am guessing a late 600cc bike is about as fast as my early 750cc?. I know from car racing I started in go karts and low horsepower go karts taught me alot.. car racing taught me a few things that carryover.. but not much really.. the things that seems to be similar are braking, apex (different on a bike but the understanding of where it is)... 90% rule (leave some room for error), coeficient of friction (can't turn, accelerate and brake at 100%).. thats about it.

Still interested in more opinions about the bike though.. I think my price range is about $3000 tops... so if anyone knows of a newer 600 in that area let me know.. I work on my stuff so I don't mind some work..

To give you an idea of my ability.. last night I took my bike up that twisty road passed Chataugua park in Boulder.. not sure what you call it.. but there are several 180 degree turns on it.. I got in trouble twice, once I misjudged a 180 and had to put the binders on before going into the oncoming lane, and once I locked the rear up in the gravel on the road.. but otherwise, I was able to navigate it ok at reasonable speeds ... also, is the 20mph speed on the road "important".. Seems almost dangerous that slow sometimes.

Ok back to yardwork.. blick... can't wait for it to get too hot for that so I can take my bike out for a bit.. :D

Joe

KooLaid
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Those 9r's are HUGE pigs. If you like the bulk of a large feeling bike yes, if you want the more nimble feel and want the Kaw still w/ semi large displacement, go for the 7r.

japrules
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Anybody know whos bike this is?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473508107&category=50019&sspagename=WDVW

Whats an "EX"...?

Joe

KooLaid
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Dunno who's that is but I'm pretty certain you'd rather have a ZX-6r instead of that one.

Scott-ZX9R
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 09:46 PM
It's a good price though- depends on how much work you want to do.

I agree that’s a good price for the 97 ZX9R, I have the 95, basically the same thing. I have a similar background as you; I started on dirt bikes, and then went to my first street bike (CB500). My first "Sportbike" was a GPZ900R (86 Ninja). Now I ride the 95 ZX9R. It is big and bulky compared to the other models, but just depends on what you want to do with it. The ZX9r is not as nimble as the others, but still fun.

Dunno who's that is but I'm pretty certain you'd rather have a ZX-6r instead of that one.

:imwithstupid:

irdave
Sat Apr 17th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I'd have to agree... I've never heard the 9 referred to as nimble.

japrules
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Well; I went and looked at the 97 zxr9. It seems that hit was tapped on one side while parked and knocked over.. besides the usual scratches something is spewing coolant from near the top of the radiator..

The owner thinks its the radiator, I could not really tell without dismantling and really looking..

It also seemed to have a little fork seal leak on the left side..

It also; has one of those auto shifters on it with a reverse shift pattern... Is this a big red flag to walk away? Apparently the 1st owner was dragging it.. the current owner says he was touring it.. It has 15k on it and he had it since around 3k.. (I bet the first 3k was brutile).

So he is asking $3k... but my guess is a radiator is around $300 for just the parts... I can do the labor but I am not free.. what does it take to finagle a radiator out and in on this bike?

From what I see on ebay this bike goes in the mid 3's.. So I am thinking more like $2500.. and really more like I should be looking at a zx7r or zx6r...

I rode the bike in the wet.. couldn't really push it.. sure was smooth compared to my old 84'... Shifted ok, 2nd gear had what seems to be the usually sort of clunk on the upshift...

Joe