PDA

View Full Version : Moab May 9-13

R1chie
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I am making a trip to Moab to ride dirtbikes. We are going to try to hit the San Rafael Swell also. Anyone interested in going? There are about 6 of us going for sure, maybe more. There is a group of guys on the internet that go down to the Swell every year that may be going that same weekend that we might hook up with, who know those trails well. We are starting to book reservations at the hotel so I though I would throw it out. You should have a year or two experience on dirtbikes, not really for a beginner.

R1chie
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Also, if you use a motocross bike, make sure it has spark arrestor and a large tank (or bring a portable container to pack with you for extra gas) and a Colorado OHV sticker. License plate will not be needed where we ride.

dallas
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
What about a four stroke motocrosser? Do you still need the extra capacity for gas? Just wondering. I remember my two stroke motocrosser would only get like 30 miles to a tank or something rediculous like that.

Bueller
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Possibly, might just pull the toy hauler out there if I didn't get a room.

I definitely want to ride some Moab this year

Bertha
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
I SOOO want to ride Moab! Only had a dirty for a year now... Let meh know... hmmm Bueller

R1chie
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
All three of you should go. It is the time to go Bueller before it gets too hot. We were looking to rent a big trailer for all the bikes so if you need bike transportation and you ride we should have it.

Some people may camp, I like to shower myself (and the pool/hot tub) if I had a camper I would not got to the hotel.

Dallas you really should have a bigger tank to go on the longer rides. If you just go on the shorter ones you would be ok. The Swell is where you usually where the long rides are and you can choose which rides you want to go on. I plan on bringing a small container for gas so it should not be a problem. The worse that could happen is at the end of a ride you run out and someone gives you some gas or someone goes back for some, since you are at the end of the ride you are usually close to camp. I won't leave you in the wilderness. :)

Bertha, you probably would be fine, there are ususally ways around the hard spots and they aren't that hard. You would have a good time.

dallas
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I had a bad expeirience in the desert north of Phoenix. Ran out of gas and water, didn't know where I was at. The guy who was leading the group thought he knew where the truck was at, temp approaching 115 F.

It was a bad day. I never went out into the desert without a GPS after that day.

R1chie
Thu Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
I had a bad expeirience in the desert north of Phoenix. Ran out of gas and water, didn't know where I was at. The guy who was leading the group thought he knew where the truck was at, temp approaching 115 F.

It was a bad day. I never went out into the desert without a GPS after that day.

You made it back alive which I would say was a good day. I assume you have a gps, I do not. The places we go in moab are well marked and the swell is pretty well marked too. I have never got lost there.

friscokidd
Tue Feb 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
interesting....might be able to go

Hoopty
Wed Feb 28th, 2007, 01:45 AM
:drool: I dunno if the tank on the WR is big enough though. :lol: