PDA

View Full Version : Roads Report: Deer Creek, Turkey Creek, 285, Deckers, Woodland Park, 105/Perry Park

pilot
Sun Mar 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
With a week of warm dry weather things should improve.

L/M/H=Light (little to none)/Medium (centerline and between wheel tracks) /Heavy (road covered)
S= Sand
R= Rough
PH= Pot Holes
W= Wet
D= Dry
I/S= Ice/Snow. This is mostly on on the east/west roads where the sun is not getting any tarmac time

Examples: L/M S = Light to Medium coverage in that order (mostly light with some areas of medium sand); H/M S = Heavy to Medium coverage in that order (sand side to side for most of the way with some areas medium).

South Wadsworth to Deer Creek Canyon: LS, LR, PH, bicycles
Deer Creek Canyon Rd to Deer Creek Rd: LMS, LI, MW, bicycles, deer
Deer Creek Canyon Rd to S Turkey Creek: LMS, LW,
S Turkey Creek Rd to 285: LMHS, LMI, HW,
285 to Pine Junction: LS, HW
Pine Junction to Pine: LS, LW
Pine to Buffalo Creek: LMS, LI, LW
Buffalo Creek to Horsepower Hill: LS, LW, good for speed- watch out for the occasional dead Ebert squirrel
HorsePower Hill: LS downhill, LMS uphill, MHS center lane (going uphill), good for speed
Base of HPH to Deckers, MS, MW, LI
Deckers shoppette: parking lot W and muddy (forget about parking there)
Deckers to Woodland Park LS in the open straights, MS W in the the shaddy canyons, good cruising in the opens
Woodland Park, US 24 to Manitou Springs: LMS, LW, PH
I-25 north through Colorado Springs: LS, HR, PH
Colorado Springs to Monument: LS, PH, LR
Monument to Palmer lake via Hwy 105: LMS, LW, LR
Palmer Lake to Sedalia: First three miles- MHLS, LI, MW; balance to Sedalia- LMS, LW, LR

Best bang for the buck: 285 from C-470 to Pine Junction to Deckers to Woodland Park. If you wear jeans you'll get wet from the run-off on 285. It's WH in spots.

Money not well spent: S Turkey Creek Canyon. Especially at the underpass that goes under 285 to get on 285 south. It is HI under the overpass.

Who's the trip for? If you're a seasoned rider (you can control your bike within the two foot wide margins of wheel tracks and you've got fresh rubber, good brakes, tuned-up and decent riding gear you can have an enjoyable, but focused, ride from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Zuka's is open in Pine and lunch is about $12. Elsewise, your time may be better spent getting your ride and skills ready for the season.

Ride safe.

N1KSS1KS1x
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the report man. I look forward to doing somemore riding with ya
I'm stuck with weekdays off its looking like for the most part.