PDA

View Full Version : Cycleworks

mra828
Wed Apr 21st, 2004, 12:39 PM
I just got my bike back from Tony at Cycleworks. Great experience with him - he was quick and gave me much more than I expected.

For background - in June my bike took a little tumble - fast lowside at La Junta that ended up with the bike going end over end. Bent forks, destroyed subframe, etc. etc. Then, right after I fixed it up - I promptly highsided it at SCR in late July in the left hander right before the House turn (CW) - where it crests the hill... the bike then solo piloted right into the tire wall. Fortunately it had long since gotten rid of the rider (me)... result - broken forks, bent triples, crushed header and radiator, bent rim, rotor, yada yada.

A number of factors, procrastination included, have delayed me dealing with it - but I knew I needed to check the frame, so off it went to Tony. He immediately could tell the steering head was bent - b/c of coloration differences in the frame in that area. Hmm... everyone else that looked at it said "looks ok to me".

So it turns out the steering head was off (too steep) - and off center too. He also checked the swingarm and found it to be almost 10mm off center. Ugh - wonder if that was from the first crash?

He fixed it all - and the nice surprise was that he provided me a drawing of my frame, with all the key measurements (before and after) as well as some other key measurements that will allow me to determine the effect on total geometry of the bike when I - say - raise the rear by 2mm.

Pretty cool.

I'll be visiting Tony after any crash bigger than a small lowside from now on.

:up:

geoff

**See the Frame Straightening post in Wheels and Deals for more info about Cycleworks.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
I have to 2nd what Geoff has stated about Tony Martin and Cycleworks. It was great experience dealing with him. My steering angle was off by 1 degree and the frame, swingarm, subframe were off center by 4mm. He fixed it and also gave me the diagram.

FYI- the frames/swingarms on most sportbikes are already off straight from the factory. You would probably never feel it with normal street riding, but on the track it could be noticable. I was experiencing really bad headshakes on my bike when racing at Willow Springs (175mph straightaways can do that!). It is very possible that it was due to the frame being off center and/or the steering angle being too steep. Granted I did crash the bike at Pueblo 6 weeks ago, but I don't think that was completely to blame for the frame not matching the factory specs.

Anonymous
Fri Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
I also agree, Tony does great work at super great prices! He has the same machine as GMD Computrack, so before you go carting it off to them, realize that virtually every racer here uses Tony to work on their bikes because we all know what an outstanding job he does.

My 600 steering was also off when I got it, though the rest of the frame checked out ok (I had it verified pre-purchase due to prior crash damage).

:up: