PDA

View Full Version : 525 or 520 Chain?

Hunter68D
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I have a '04 ZX-10R and have been thinking about going up a few teeth on the rear sprocket. While I was at it I have also thought about changing the front sprocket and chain. I have been told that it would be OK if I went from the stock 525 chain to a 520. I just would like some opinions on this and recommendations if anyone has done it and if it was good, bad, or didn't effect anything on way or another. Plus, what brand would be a good one to do this with in anybody's experence?

Sparker
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Going to a high end 520 is just fine for your bike. I would recemond a DID ERV3. probably close to the best chain out on the market right now. Long life and strong as hell.

rybo
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
For a streetbike there is really no good reason to make the change, but there is also no really good reason not to. The 525 will probably last a little longer provided that you care for them the same, but that's about it.

DID makes excellent chains +1 on that recommendation!

hcr25
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
If your stock stuff is ready to be replaced I think going with 520 is a good idea. A couple of reasons are the 520 chain and sprockets are lighter then the 525 which means less rotating mass (the reason all the racers do it) Another reason is there are a lot of companies out there offering different clolors and styles of sprockets, one more way to make your bike a little different.
In street application you should still get plenty of life using 520.
Most liter race bikes are putting out more power then the average street bike and the 520 stuff seems to hold up very well on the track.
mike

pilot
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Here is a decent article on chains:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/chain.html

My 1200 Kawasaki is running on a RK BG530GXW chain (10,000 lb rating) and two JT Sprokets (steel for longer wear).

reddeth
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Just remember to change out the drive and driven sproket. Not only do you need to make sure they are the proper size (525 or 520) you want to make sure they wear together!

BlueDevil
Tue Mar 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM
If your stock stuff is ready to be replaced I think going with 520 is a good idea. A couple of reasons are the 520 chain and sprockets are lighter then the 525 which means less rotating mass (the reason all the racers do it) Another reason is there are a lot of companies out there offering different clolors and styles of sprockets, one more way to make your bike a little different.
In street application you should still get plenty of life using 520.
Most liter race bikes are putting out more power then the average street bike and the 520 stuff seems to hold up very well on the track.
mike

Ill ditto that remark......

Aracheon
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I've done a bit of searching and I'm still confused... what is the fundamental difference between a 525 and a 520? What makes it lighter?

lightning126zp
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I've done a bit of searching and I'm still confused... what is the fundamental difference between a 525 and a 520? What makes it lighter?
size, therefore mass. imagine you have two items made of the same materials, but the other is a tad bit skinnier than the other. That would make it lighter.

Aracheon
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
So the 520 is skinnier than the 525?

lightning126zp
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM
So the 520 is skinnier than the 525?
Yes sir.

mushin_man39
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Rotating v. static mass. Oh, yeah, seven pounds=approx. one horse static weight. Drink light beer.

Aracheon
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
There seems to be a big argument on the reliability and longevity of a 525 vs. a 520... But one would think with a chain made of stronger materials and used in mild to moderate riding conditions, it should last roughly the same as an OEM one if it's maintained properly...

lightning126zp
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM
There seems to be a big argument on the reliability and longevity of a 525 vs. a 520... But one would think with a chain made of stronger materials and used in mild to moderate riding conditions, it should last roughly the same as an OEM one if it's maintained properly...
If you're looking for reliability...both are :up:
If you're looking for longevity, then 525 would last longer, due to it's bigger size.

Racers use 520 because of the weight. They could care less if they wear out the chain in one race.

pilot
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I've done a bit of searching and I'm still confused... what is the fundamental difference between a 525 and a 520? What makes it lighter?A 520 chain is physically smaller. The numbers stand for measurement sequences. This is based on the "rule of eights" eights of an inch: 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8, 5/8, 6/8. The first number is the distance between pins (bushings/rollers), also know as pitch. the second and third number is the width of the roller as it sits between the two inner plates of the chain.

So, a 520 chain is 5/8 of an inch in pitch and 2/8 (1/4) inch wide at the roller.

A 525 chain is 5/8 pitch and 2/8 + (1/2 an 1/ 8 (aka 1/16) wide so the roller is 5/16 of an inch wide.

to look at it another way:

525 is:

5 = 5/8

2 = 1/4

5 = 1/16 (kind of like saying .5 of 1/ 8)

I know this may seem a bit confusing, but the more you think about it, and look at a chain, the more it all makes sense.

Now, one can see why one wouldn't run a 520 chain on a 525 sprocket. The shoe just don't fit (too tight). And with a 525 sprocket and a 520 chain the chain will ride high on the teeth *shark fins* and disaster awaits.

When buying a new chain always buy new sprocket so that they "mesh" together as a set.

Bueller
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Racers use 520 because of the weight. They could care less if they wear out the chain in one race.
Not likely, racers buy expensive high quality chains because they want them to be strong and reliable, a broken chain means a disaster either injury or a destroyed engine. Believe me most racers are looking to save $ wherever possible, and definatly care about longevity, they just don't try to get 10,000 mi. out of one, it gets changed may more regularly.

Aracheon
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
A 520 chain is physically smaller. The numbers stand for measurement sequences. This is based on the "rule of eights" eights of an inch: 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8, 5/8, 6/8. The first number is the distance between pins (bushings/rollers), also know as pitch. the second and third number is the width of the roller as it sits between the two inner plates of the chain.

So, a 520 chain is 5/8 of an inch in pitch and 2/8 (1/4) inch wide at the roller.

A 525 chain is 5/8 pitch and 2/8 + (1/2 an 1/ 8 (aka 1/16) wide so the roller is 5/16 of an inch wide.

to look at it another way:

525 is:

5 = 5/8

2 = 1/4

5 = 1/16 (kind of like saying .5 of 1/ 8)

I know this may seem a bit confusing, but the more you think about it, and look at a chain, the more it all makes sense.

Now, one can see why one wouldn't run a 520 chain on a 525 sprocket. The shoe just don't fit (too tight). And with a 525 sprocket and a 520 chain the chain will ride high on the teeth *shark fins* and disaster awaits.

When buying a new chain always buy new sprocket so that they "mesh" together as a set.

You sir, are awesome. :yay::up::up: