*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Castrol 4T changed every 2k miles

Fly boy
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Penzoil changed every 6-8k miles

Airreed
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Craig- Don't even listen to any advice that Fly throw's out there....8k you have to be kidding me...:banghead:

Bueller
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Penzoil changed every 6-8k miles

Brilliant!

rforsythe
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Olive. Extra virgin, cold pressed.

rybo
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Car oil:

Mobil 1 15w50 available at wal mart, autozone, advance autoparts etc. for $6 a quart.

or if you have a dealer nearby

Amsoil motocycle oil. About the same price, but a little harder to find.

To keep costs down you can also use some good car oil filters on your bike. Purolator, Napa gold, carquest and mobil all make good filters that will probably fit on your bike. If I remember right you have a honda, so the following filters should work on your bike. Check the length if the fit is tight. If you can use the slightly larger filter it's a good idea.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

Hope that helps

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hey Saint Scott-

Yep...a new nickname for ya. You have to be one of the most helpful guys on this board. You are always helping people here, giving advice, researching things, etc.

Just wanted to pass on my appreciation for one of the good guys out there. Thanks for all you do here man.

txrc51fatboy
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
only other oil i have used was castrol actevo ran it for about 500 miles and thought my engine was going to come apart, clutch sounded like someone dumped 1 pound of sand in it. i drained it and went back to mobile. i dont mind the expense i like the piece of mind

Spiderman
Tue Mar 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Silkolene Pro 4 (full synthetic)

Devaclis
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM
mobil twin and only mobile twin. changed every two months

Every 2-3k miles

CBRChick
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Honda oil of course! :D

reddeth
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Amsoil. Grand Prix (which is right by where I live) always has a great stock of it in.

Fly boy
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Craig- Don't even listen to any advice that Fly throw's out there....8k you have to be kidding me...:banghead:

LOL

I took advice from RYBO way back in the day and use the Mobil 1 15w50 and Purolator filter changed about 3-4k miles. First time begining season, second time midway through. I only ride 6-8k a season :(

The first time I changed it with the Mobil 1, it was freaking CLEAN! I was surprised at how well it did. Dunno if it was the purolator filter helping too.

konichd
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Amsoil. Grand Prix (which is right by where I live) always has a great stock of it in.

+1 on AMSoil, 10-40 fully synthetic and stock Kawi filter. Change every 2K or after a good track day. :)

Devaclis
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I used kerosene for oil and a roll of paper towels for an oil filter the first year I owned the Hawk. Because it is a Honda, there was nothing I could do to hurt it :)

rforsythe
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I used kerosene for oil and a roll of paper towels for an oil filter the first year I owned the Hawk. Because it is a Honda, there was nothing I could do to hurt it :)

I hear that helps the rings seat during break-in, too. :yes: :D

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Bel-Ray

DevilsTonic
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
My bike needs oil? ;)

rybo
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the props.

Beautiful day today....we should all be riding!

Hey Saint Scott-

Yep...a new nickname for ya. You have to be one of the most helpful guys on this board. You are always helping people here, giving advice, researching things, etc.

Just wanted to pass on my appreciation for one of the good guys out there. Thanks for all you do here man.

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Beautiful day today....we should all be riding!

Gonna be out there at 3!!! Going up the hills to Estes then back down to Loveland. Anyone wanna join? C'mon Scott...you're not that far away.

Fly boy
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I want to!!! can you guys swing by cheyenne? I"m sitting at home waiting for everyone else to get off :(

rybo
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Gonna be out there at 3!!! Going up the hills to Estes then back down to Loveland. Anyone wanna join? C'mon Scott...you're not that far away.

Would love to, but 3 is a bit early for... can we make it 4-4:30?

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Would love to, but 3 is a bit early for... can we make it 4-4:30?

Gah! Just when I'll be coming down outta the mountains...he, he. I'ma PM you my numba and next time we get a good day like today, you just send me a text and I'll do what I can.

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Back on topic to the subject of oil. The guys on my 750 forum said they use full synthetic oil on their Z's. Comments?

Sortarican
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Yamalube for 2-stroker, Mobil 1 (x)T for the rest.

There a lot of debat over the difference (besides price) between the various Synth brands.
When I was poorer, I used Castrol Syntec in my bikes. It's pretty much the cheapest full synth.
Never had a problem and still use it in my cars. Not sure if I'd trust it in a sportbike though.

I figure any full synthetic in the right weight at the right intervals (I go by hours and abuse more than miles) and you should be OK.

Though the motorcycle specific types do have specific additives designed for bikes (clutch, high temp, stabilizers for storage, etc.) and don't have some of those used for cars (crap to reduce emissions and such).

(Now if I could just find the oil fill, found the 710 cap, but no oil fill) :think:

rybo
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Be aware that not all synthetics are created equal.

Mobil recently sued Castrol over the latters use of "group 3 base stock" as the basis for their synthetic oil. Group 3 is still petroleum oil, just very highly refined. IT IS NOT synthetic. Castrol won the lawsuit and as a result continues to use group 3 base stocks for their synthetic oil.

Now, I'm not sure about the motorcycle specific brands (bel ray, silkolene etc) but there are only 2 available oils for automobiles that start with a synthetic base stock and those are Mobil 1 and Amsoil. All other brands of synthetic oil available at the autoparts store (penzoil, valvoline, quaker state etc) use group 3 base stock and label the oil as synthetic.

To date everything I've seen about comparisons between motorcycle specific oils and their automotive counterparts indicates that the auto versions are both better and cheaper.

As far as additives go...on the back of every bottle of oil is a circle that is the standard label from ASE. It lists the weight of the oil. If this circle has the words "energy conserving" in it you DO NOT want to use it in your motorcycle as it contains additives that MIGHT make your clutch slip.

Hope that's helpful.

scott

Sortarican
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
....there are only 2 available oils for automobiles that start with a synthetic base stock and those are Mobil 1 and Amsoil. All other brands of synthetic oil available at the autoparts store (penzoil, valvoline, quaker state etc) use group 3 base stock and label the oil as synthetic.

I'd always thought that all "pure" synth motor oils used a crude or mineral oil base and that truely synthetic based oils were pretty much limited to use in industrial applications.
But it looks like that's not the case.

Good to know, thanks for the info. :up:

thunderseye
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
i wast just curious i know the dealers always scream you should use honda or yamaha or what ever, but i figure if its good enough for my truck....good enough for the bike..

reddeth
Wed Mar 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
i wast just curious i know the dealers always scream you should use honda or yamaha or what ever, but i figure if its good enough for my truck....good enough for the bike..
Just make sure the oil you use is geared for bikes with a wet clutch system.

I'm not sure I understand everything %100, but theres additives in regular synthetic which fuxor up the clutch in your bike. You just want to make sure that the oil you use does not have said additives and it is probably better to get oil geared for the bike.

rforsythe
Thu Mar 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Just make sure the oil you use is geared for bikes with a wet clutch system.

I'm not sure I understand everything %100, but theres additives in regular synthetic which fuxor up the clutch in your bike. You just want to make sure that the oil you use does not have said additives and it is probably better to get oil geared for the bike.

They're called "friction modifiers" aka "energy saving" additives. Rybo already discussed it in an earlier post. They can cause the clutch to slip; ergo, using oil specifically for a bike will guarantee these things aren't there, though many people have used car synthetic without the energy saving modification and they work just fine.