PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 200

St hubbins
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Never thought I'd see the day when Steve Rapp, Ben Attard, and Michael Barnes would make up the podium. Props to the three of 'em!

rforsythe
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Even better that Rapp broght it in running on fumes...

FZRguy
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
…and heads are gonna roll at Honda.

motaboy
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The new Kawi 6R looked pretty impressive. Took first and second in both Formula Extreme and Supersport. GO TEAM GREEN!!!!

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Kawi crews can do the math ---- Honduh thinks 2 + 2 = 3 --- comin up short every time :D

rybo
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Even more exciting to me is the performance of our home town guy, Ricky Orlando. In a field of 65 professional roadracers he brought it home in 17th. Additionally I THINK that his ride there this year means that he has more miles in the 200 than any other rider in history.

Nice work!

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
He started 38th too

#1Townie
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM
left turn straight left turn straight!!!!!!!! oooooooo what happened..... he turned right:banghead:

Dysco
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM
left turn straight left turn straight!!!!!!!! oooooooo what happened..... he turned right:banghead:

Normally I ignore your posts but this level of dipshittedness is worth mention.

rforsythe
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Ok townie, see this is reality, "here".

This is you... waaaay ............ over ............................ (keep going) ......................................... ... some more .......... *phew* THERE.

But thanks for playing, come again soon!

St hubbins
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Even more exciting to me is the performance of our home town guy, Ricky Orlando. In a field of 65 professional roadracers he brought it home in 17th. Additionally I THINK that his ride there this year means that he has more miles in the 200 than any other rider in history.

Nice work!

Second that RYBO! Ricky O. had an exceptional ride! I guess he has the most finishes also? Can anyone confirm that?

~Barn~
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
:spit:

Nice work Clownie.

#1Townie
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
wow i can realy feel the love from the board..... i would like to thank the little people who helped make this happen.......... and ummmmmm is this realy a word?????? dipshittedness

rybo
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Except the AMA uses the road course....

Spiderman
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
A little harsher than I'd like, but it gets the point across:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/Funny/Cluepon.jpg

rybo
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
A little harsher than I'd like, but it gets the point across:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/Funny/Cluepon.jpg

What???? Did I post the wrong track map or something?

j/k

Spiderman
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
j/kThank god you included that! :lol:

#1Townie
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
hmmmmmm........... as i can see i have once again put my foot right into my mouth...... eeeeee shit happens....

Spiderman
Sun Mar 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
:spit: :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 12th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I don't know what's worse for Honduh, Pedrosa taking Nicky out, or the 2 top Daytona contenders running out of gas within 2 corners of each other......DOH!

Still think it's stupid to make the minibike race the 200 instead of the Superbikes. It really means that there are only DuHamel and Zemke as "name" riders in the 200. Sad. But, congrats to all those smart enough, fast enough, consistant enough, and good enough at math to win it and get on the box!

konichd
Mon Mar 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Too bad the Honda's had trouble, that would have been one of the best daytona 200's ever. Duhamel, Hayes, Barnes, Rapp were all head to tail the first 21 laps. However, congrats to Attack Kawasaki for having the best pit stops up and down the lane. Not one mistake and thats what put Rapp and Attard on the podium. Rapp was defiantely fast and I'm sure would have finished on the podium even if the Honda's didn't have trouble.

Watch out for the kawi's in the 600 classes this year! :)

Scer
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM
FYI... the hon-doh's didn't run out of gas. They still had more than 4 liters of fuel left in the tank. In each of them..

fuel on, fuelas

rybo
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
FYI... the hon-doh's didn't run out of gas. They still had more than 4 liters of fuel left in the tank. In each of them..

fuel on, fuelas

Scer's got it right...fuel pump failure is what happened. Gotta guess that they all came out of the same lot of parts and that they all had some kind of defect.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM
....or is that just what Honduh is telling us to save face? I've seen them do that before.......

rybo
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
....or is that just what Honduh is telling us to save face? I've seen them do that before.......

While that could be the case, it wouldn't explain the one factory supported bike that DID go the distance. Miguel is quoted within about 10 seconds (OK maybe and exageration, but very soon) of getting off the bike saying there was plenty of fuel left. We can only assume that Gobert, Hays, DuHammel and Zemke were all using the same honda math for fuel, since they are all essentially factory supported. Hays got the one good fuel pump of the lot.

rforsythe
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Jules: Do you know fucked up at Daytona?
Brett: No.
Jules: Tell him, Vincent.
Vincent: Honda.
Jules: Honda. Do you know why Honda fucked up at Daytona?
Brett: Because of the metric system?
Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett. You one smart motherfucker.

sky_blue
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Scer's got it right...fuel pump failure is what happened. Gotta guess that they all came out of the same lot of parts and that they all had some kind of defect.

Actually, I heard that they used a fuel that was meant for lower temperatures, and there was some sort or vapor lock issue. But all the bikes at once? Seems fishy.

Probably just Honda covering their asses though.

Scer
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 09:02 AM
You are actually correct Sky blue. The type of fuel that they were using was not completely suited for the conditions at Daytona. I know it sounds far fetched but if you think of all the small details that these bikes go through you would believe it. I talked to "another honda team" and they confirmed it too. Besides, if it was actually a bike defect, what should have happened in practice and qualifiying?
Honda has some catching up to do but they have a good team with some awesome riders. They will bounce back.

bounce on, bouncas

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Well, here's a couple of points:
1. I would think the factory riders (DuHamel and Zemke) WOULD fail at almost exactly the same time, if the math was wrong, or the fuel pumps were CONSISTANTLY bad, because they were most likely running the same fuel, fuel pump, gearing, tire pressures, etc. A factory-supported team might not be running any of the same stuff. But, to me, the fact they failed within 2 corners of each other would more likely point to a fuel LEVEL issue than a fuel pump failure, especially as great a consuption rate as I'm sure Daytona has. It would be statistically way too hard for the fuel pumps to fail at exactly the same time like that, rather than simply run out of gas.

2. I really don't believe vapor lock is an issue with ANY fuel anymore, as the pressure of the fuel pump overcomes any of that issue. Older carburetor-equipped cars and bikes, yes, FI bikes and cars, no. I'm not buying the "vapor lock" explanation.

sky_blue
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10574

The following release is from American Honda:

American Honda Daytona 200 Press Release

Torrance, CA: In the 2007 Daytona 200 by Honda event, the CBR600RR machines fielded by American Honda and Erion Racing all suffered fuel related problems that affected the outcome of the race. American Honda’s Miguel Duhamel, Jake Zemke, and Erion Racing’s Aaron Gobert, all dropped out of the race. Erion’s Josh Hayes, the reigning AMA Formula Xtreme champion, following a premature pit stop, was able to finish in sixth place after similar issues dropped him from the lead pack of riders. All four CBR600RRs had sufficient fuel in their tanks when they encountered problems during the race.

The four machines all featured the same aftermarket quick-fill refueling dry-break system. Post-race evaluation of the bikes by American Honda has traced the fuel starvation problem to an apparent venting issue associated with the quick-fill dry-break fuel tank systems. There were no mechanical failures with any of the four machines. The CBR600RR of Duhamel, Zemke, Gobert and Hayes were the only CBR600RRs that suffered fuel starvation problems at Daytona, and they were the only bikes running this dry-break system. The other 14 CBR600RR machines entered in the Daytona 200 and Supersport class that did not use this dry-break system—including the Erion Honda CBR600RR Supersport bikes of Hayes and Gobert—did not experience any problems.

American Honda would like to thank its sponsors and the Daytona organization for another successful Daytona event, and look forward to a season of close AMA road racing, commencing once again at the Honda Superbike Classic, April 20-22 at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10574

I was going to post that earlier. The plot thickens.......

Damage control, perhaps? I don't remember anyone but Zemke and DuHamel running out. And if there really WAS gas in the tanks, why did they both shake the bike from side to side exactly like you do when you're empty? Also, couldn't he just have pushed in on the filler and relieved the vacuum? Hmmmmmm..........

Lurch
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Plus they have to be vented to the outside. If not the pressure would build up to the point where the fuel would push pass the gasket on the fuel pump. I'm guessing they just ran out plain and simple.

Lurch

rforsythe
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Plus they have to be vented to the outside. If not the pressure would build up to the point where the fuel would push pass the gasket on the fuel pump. I'm guessing they just ran out plain and simple.

Lurch

Maybe I'm not understanding the dry-break system, but wouldn't it be the opposite, where as the bike ran the vacuum created by using up fuel would ultimately force it to stay in the tank?

Lurch
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding the dry-break system, but wouldn't it be the opposite, where as the bike ran the vacuum created by using up fuel would ultimately force it to stay in the tank?

Yes but as the fuel sloshies around it will produce alot of vapors plus the heat from the engine will bring the fuel close if not to its boiling point.

voncon
Fri Mar 16th, 2007, 06:15 PM
From my perspective... it looked like Hayes was blurbing down the pits on his first pit.... seemingly running out of gas. I really don't buy the Honda release. When I was racing, as well as many of you... I am sure you remember how it went.... "Hey, when's Miguel pitting?" "Cool - me too".

Guys get to talking and then using the wrong info. Working in the service field, I find it extremely hard to comprehend how they all failed at the same time....

Kurt

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Mar 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
'Sumptin' jus ain't right........

I'm still thinking they ran out of gas, plain and simple....I remember Schwantz's GP bike doing that at least once while he was leading and running away......