PDA

View Full Version : Carbs, Jet Kit and A/F Mixture Help

JustSomeDude
Tue Mar 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm running a 2000 YZF600R. I picked her up used last year and did a full maintenance/tune on it during the winter. I took it out recently for the first time since doing the work and noticed some severe low-end hesitation.

With the stock jets (#155) and needle, the A/F screws were set 2 turns out. I put in the DynoJet Stage 1 JetKit, with a #144 main jet (yes, I have an aftermarket exhaust) DynoJet recommended I keep the 2 turn setting. The e-clip on the jet is at the 3rd groove from the top.

Obviously, if two turns worked for the stock setup, it is running way too rich for the DynoJet setup. I turned it down to 1.25 turns, and while it has helped a little, it still stumbles coming off idle. I'm afraid to turn it below 1 turn.

DynoJet recommended I NOT go below 1 turn, but then adjust the float height up in the carbs 2mm to compensate. Is this the correct way to move forward? I did an entire carb clean while installing the jets and needle, and feel like I should not be having this severe of a problem.

I'd appreciate any advice/help that can be provided. And a 6pack of beer for some one who solves my issue. :)

Knuckle Dragger
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Just .02 but your bike my need to be remapped for the dyno-kit. My ZX9R has BMC air filter and that alone required the bike to be remapped, like I said just my .02

Bueller
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
It is not a FI bike, there is no map.

JustSomeDude
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry for not clarifying in my original post, but yes, Bueller is correct, this is a carbureted bike.

No fuel injection.

TT5.0
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 11:36 AM
did you change pilot jets?

~Barn~
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Sorry for not clarifying in my original post, but yes, Bueller is correct, this is a carbureted bike.

No fuel injection.

For that matter, were ZX-9R's ever FI'd either?
:think:

Anyway... carry on. I hope somebody figures it out for you!

JustSomeDude
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM
did you change pilot jets?

No, Dynojet specifically states in their manual that their kits are intended to work with the stock pilot jets, and that you should only change them if recommended during the troubleshooting/help process with their techs. And they have not yet advised me to change the pilot jets.

JustSomeDude
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I just spoke with Jason over at http://www.fastermotosports.com/, and he was VERY helpful. Went out of his way to get me some advice before taking it in for service. He talked to one of the tech guys, Nick, and found I may have my needle height set wrong. DynoJet told me to put it in the 3rd notch for Denver's altitude... Nick says they almost always start with the 4th notch.

Gonna try that out first and see what happens. Nice bunch of guys over there at Faster!!!

JustSomeDude
Wed Mar 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Wow! I had no idea such a tiny change in needle height would have such a huge impact.

The 4th slot did it!!! THANK YOU JASON AND NICK!!! Sorry I didn't end up coming in to have any paying work done, but I'll definitely consider you guys in the future!!!