PDA

View Full Version : Stiff clutch

chadincolo
Mon Mar 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I am working on getting my wife's bike (85 FZ750) back up to speed, have it stripped down and the fairings out getting painted now, getting all the nagging issues fixed while it's torn apart. One issue she has is that she thinks the clutch is too stiff. It's a hydraulic clutch, I've bled it, no change. Next step is to pull the mater and slave cylinders apart, and clean them, do a good flush on the tube. Anything else I should look at? Any tips?

rybo
Mon Mar 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
You're heading down the right path, but don't forget there are still clutch springs involved. On my bike the slave pushes a rod that disengages the clutch. When you have the slave off of the bike make sure there isn't any mechanical binding on that rod. You may consider changing out the clutch springs as well, but I would put that further down the list.

Hope it helps

Knuckle Dragger
Mon Mar 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It might be a far shot but just my .02 you might look at the lever and her hand grip as well. On my ZX9R I can adjust the length of pull on the clutch lever jut like on the brake. Her hands/fingers may not be long enough to get a comfortable pull on the lever, by bringing the lever closer to the grip could help her out. This may want to be looked at especially if it feels good to you or other people. I think you can get an adjustable lever from places like 58 cycles for around $15-30.00. One other thing would be to do is to lube the clutch cable as well; you can get the tool and lube at most bike shops for around $30.00

chadincolo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks for the idea Knuckle Dragger, hers doesn't have an adjustable lever, my VFR does so I should have thought about that...there isn't a cable to lube or I would have tried that already. :) I'll do some searching and see if there is an adjustable lever available for something that old.