PDA

View Full Version : 3/25 sunday IMI

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Weather looks bad on friday and saturday but supposed to be nice on sunday.

Whose looking at being there this upcoming sunday?

konichd
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
If I can finish my trailer I'm game, what time is this kickin' off? :)

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I want to be two places at once. Damn. I'm going skiing that day for sure. I'll kick myself if I don't get a few more days in this season.

DK...

If you need a hand I can come your way Friday eve to finish up the trailer...LMK

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
If I can finish my trailer I'm game, what time is this kickin' off? :)

Ahh, I guess this is where my MC leadership in logistics comes into play:think:

As much as I'd like to to start really early, I'll be realistic to everyone else. 1100 showtime should be good. Gives everyone plenty of time to get some hydration and food to overcome any hangovers. I don't have a trailier and pack nearly as much as anyone, so I don't really know how much time that consumes either.

Welcoming any input

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM
If the weather is good and it didn't rain the night before get there at the opening bell for the best track experience. As the day wears on people arrive and it starts getting crowded. I've been there when they opened the gates and had the track to myself for an hour...gotta tell you, that's really pretty cool.

Be sure to check the Kart race schedule to assure that they don't have a weekend race planned yet.

S

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
ugh, what's their website?

edit:

http://www.imimotorsports.com/

Sorry for being lazy and asking

Just called and it's open track, no races

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
LOOK HERE!

http://www.imimotorsports.com/

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
damn....there I am being too slow again. Can someone show me the line???

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM
This should help
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3492&stc=1&d=1174420951

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM
yep...that helps "Simson" where's the Rybo line?

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
hehe, that line?

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Wow, so does my making fun of it turn it into a "double reverse pwn'd" meaning that I get all the points?

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
:no: :pointlaugh:

rybo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
See....I think the post "edit" feature should be considered foul play in situations like these...

rybo <-----once again too slow.

SixnChange
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
i'd like to go check it out at least, still need to go by that discount place and get some good boots!

pauliep
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
i'd like to go check it out at least, still need to go by that discount place and get some good boots!

I picked up the setup visions on ebay for $127 new. Other places carry them too for about the same price. They are a company oversee'd (is that word?) by SIDI.

Slo
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I will be there, don't have my full leathers but will be out there enjoying the day anyways.

I will be getting there early, last Saturday got there early and had quite a few laps before any carts were out n about.

eklew
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Damn, Paulie got the track bug already. I may be game to go on Sunday as long as Rybo doesn't buzz by me as usual!!!! hahaha.

Bueller
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Damn, Paulie got the track bug already. I may be game to go on Sunday as long as Rybo doesn't buzz by me as usual!!!! hahaha.
Can I wheelie you?

Fly boy
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
*snip* As the day wears on people arrive and it starts getting crowded. I've been there when they opened the gates and had the track to myself for an hour...gotta tell you, that's really pretty cool.
S

That was awesome! 20 some laps with just you and me that morning.

daemon
Tue Mar 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM
i might just show up myself.

anyone wanna show me the way on sunday.
i hear it can be a bit confusing.

i was going to try to set up a ride,but....well we'll see

pauliep
Wed Mar 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM

I moved out here for only a few reasons. Canyons & tracks are two of them.

Directions... where ya coming from?

Coming from Denver, get on I-25n, exit 232 Erie. Take a right at the stop sign and keep going (even down the dirt road :( ). can't miss it.

rybo
Wed Mar 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM

No worries man, I leave you plenty of room that day as I'll be up in the mountains skiing...

pauliep
Wed Mar 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM
No worries man, I leave you plenty of room that day as I'll be up in the mountains skiing...
damn, then whose going to show me the Rybo line?

rybo
Wed Mar 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
You've left a nice diagram of it above...take a print out to the track with you. :alien:

With any luck the following weekend the new track bike will be fully functional...then I can start riding like I mean it...

TommyTheKid
Wed Mar 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM
You guys have fun, its time to start getting the horses ready for the summer. Hope I don't get bucked off :p

~tommy

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
A member of the r6 site I'm on was up at imi earlier this week and they told him sunday is the first big motocross race and it will be really crowded with motorhomes etc and lots of little ones doing the carts. Anybody been up while a motocross race is going down? What do you guys think ?
If its gonna be to busy I really dont wanna go but Maybe

Slo
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Ill go to check it out and if it is too crowded, ill just head on up to estes or something.....

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
you still planing on going early? how early do they open?

Slo
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
I should be out there by at least 0930......that way it will leave me some room to get to and past lyons before all the traffic in case IMI falls through.

N1KSS1KS1x
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
mind some company if imi is packed?

Slo
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
mind some company if imi is packed?

Of course not......I will PM you my#

daemon
Thu Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
depending on what time you roll up US 34 you might see a few other bikes parked at the dam store.
stop on off and say hi if you want

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
A member of the r6 site I'm on was up at imi earlier this week and they told him sunday is the first big motocross race and it will be really crowded with motorhomes etc and lots of little ones doing the carts. Anybody been up while a motocross race is going down? What do you guys think ?
If its gonna be to busy I really dont wanna go but Maybe

weird, because when I called monday they didn't say anything about races. I guess they were only talking about the paved track not having any races.

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
I've been there when there are dirt races and it shouldn't be a big deal. It may keep some of the karts away. You guys should be fine, and if you get there early you will probably have the track to yourselves.

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I still think that rybo and tommy should show up :)

Vehicle 1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think I can make it out to IMI on Sunday as well, so hopefully it won’t be too crowded… see ya all there.
And if someone could give me some pointers while riding I would really appreciate it… including THE line….:p

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Don't ever follow the Rybo line....it's dangerous.

Sorry Paul, but at this point spring skiing is calling my name. Only a few weekends left and I have to capatalize on them.

S

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
If someone from boulder is going you should let me know

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
VECHICLE 1 is from boulder Whats up by the way I cant remember how to spell your name and I dont want to butcher it. How you been ?

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

Sorry Paul, but at this point spring skiing is calling my name. Only a few weekends left and I have to capatalize on them.

S

So much for the high quality photos from your camera. I'm bringing out my gf, so she'll be out there with her camera to take some of everyone.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Fantastic

dirkterrell
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'm mainly concerned with how muddy it will be on the dirt road and at the entrance after the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow. If it's not too bad, I'll be there.

Dirk

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
u guys think i'll be ok on a bald front? racing slicks right?

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
No bald street front means worn out and probly old which means it has gotten hard from all the heat cycles and this = no fun and probly crashing due to losing front grip anywhere not just the track. But how bad is it

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm mainly concerned with how muddy it will be on the dirt road and at the entrance after the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow. If it's not too bad, I'll be there.

Dirk

How much of dirt rode are we talking about here?
Last time I was out at imi was like 6yrs ago and I remember like 1mile so right ????

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
No bald street front means worn out and probly old which means it has gotten hard from all the heat cycles and this = no fun and probly crashing due to losing front grip anywhere not just the track. But how bad is it

Not a stich of tread... but no wires yet, i might try to swap it on sat. i don't have racing pants yet, are they required? were you the one that rolled up to the dealership with slo1299?

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
No they aren't and no I havent meet Jay yet and hell yeah get a new one.
You know Dana on here hooks up the csc members with mount and bal. right? But he lives down here i a town so that might not help you. Faster does to. its a little closer but not much.

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
How much of dirt rode are we talking about here?
Last time I was out at imi was like 6yrs ago and I remember like 1mile so right ????

Way less than a mile...gravel, usually in pretty good condition. The rain probably won't be a problem, i've never seen it be actually mud, just wet. It's a well maintained gravel road.

u guys think i'll be ok on a bald front? racing slicks right?

There is a HUGE difference between a racing slick and a worn out street tire. If you have a worn out tire go and get a new one. I know tires are expensive, but really, I promise you they are WAY WAY cheaper than crashing. If you can't afford a new tire there are a number of guys on here that sell take-off race tires, but you'll have to pay someone to put them on. IMI is a one mile track with 10 turns in it, you do the math, you don't spend much time NOT turning. It only takes 1/10th of a second to loose the front end and fall down.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I got a dunlop 208 that is got some on it just for a track day though. Its yours if you want it.

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Way less than a mile...gravel, usually in pretty good condition. The rain probably won't be a problem, i've never seen it be actually mud, just wet. It's a well maintained gravel road.

There is a HUGE difference between a racing slick and a worn out street tire. If you have a worn out tire go and get a new one. I know tires are expensive, but really, I promise you they are WAY WAY cheaper than crashing. If you can't afford a new tire there are a number of guys on here that sell take-off race tires, but you'll have to pay someone to put them on. IMI is a one mile track with 10 turns in it, you do the math, you don't spend much time NOT turning. It only takes 1/10th of a second to loose the front end and fall down.

I thought it was 1/8 of a second to loose the front end and fall down?

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
gonna do it tommorow, $150 that's not bad right?

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
for what tire and what do you have on the rear?

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
so i never been to the track before, any advice on what to bring and such, what's the deal with knee pads??

SixnChange
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Yo I'm going from Boulder--leaving 9-ish. you could roll with me 303-888-9939 text or call me

I *may* put the bike in the back of my truck, depends if I want to bring beer in a cooler.

SixnChange
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
and they only require a helmet I heard (...stupid). Ill have boots, jacket, gloves, but no pants yet.

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
gonna do it tommorow, $150 that's not bad right?

$150 for a front!?

Which tire??

(bridgestone Battlax) BT014's are around $90 on mawonline, which is pretty comparable to performance cycle.

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
metzler, i have it on the rear too

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
metzler, i have it on the rear too

metzler what?

compare what you're looking for on www.mawonline.com (http://www.mawonline.com) to see what decent prices are for that tire

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
so i never been to the track before, any advice on what to bring and such, what's the deal with knee pads??

Sure plenty of advice:

1. Bike in good condition- tires properly inflated, oil at proper level, coolant at proper level, no leaks (including fork seals)

2. Whatever riding gear you have (recommend, helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants) If you don't have pants, wear 2 pairs of jeans for a little added protection. Boots should cover your ankles.

3. Water- at least one quart

4. Snack- something fairly high energy. Granola bars/trail mix, snickers etc.

5. The right attitude- no one wins at a track day. Focus on being smooth and riding the same line every time. Fast will come in good time

6. A friend, just in case something bad happens. You can meet friends at the track. I never ride at the track alone. Best practice is to leave emergency contact information where it's easily found just in case.

7. Sunscreen. there is little or no shade there. Sunscreen, a hat something to keep you from getting burnt.

Don't bring alcoholic beverages...it's just a bad plan.

On the track...there is only one entry and one exit point, know where they are and NEVER go any other way. Signal that you are going to exit the track by raising your left hand before the final corner so that others behind you know you'll be slowing down. Focus on being smooth and consistant. When passing another rider leave LOTS of room. IF you have to "squeek one by" it's too close of a pass for a track day.

Remember it's supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun then it's probably time to take a break or quit for the day. Same is true if you start making a series of mistakes. Take a rest, collect yourself. Riding "just one more lap" has caused me to crash at least once.

Now, about the knee pucks. They are there for pretty extreme lean angles and the knee can be used to help stabilzie the bike in a corner. They are made of a hard plastic or leather and are designed to slide smoothly on the asphalt. You most likely won't need them at your first track day.

Hope that helps...

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hey, thanks a lot, just took my bike to the shop, do they require you to cover your lights?

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hey, thanks a lot, just took my bike to the shop, do they require you to cover your lights?

Nope. Remove your mirrors wouldn't be a bad idea. They will distract you from your line and what you need to be focusing. It's the rider's behind that are responsible for what's in front of them (you)

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
^+1 on all the above Scott is a smart cat
Most do but it doesnt seem as if imi does but its a good idea if you can tape up or unplug

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
IMI is VERY relaxed about requirements. That doesn't mean you should be.

No, they don't require you to tape up lights or remove mirrors. It's not a bad idea, but not required. I don't tape up the bike for IMI. Ignoring the mirrors is a great idea...missed that one. Nice catch!

Fly boy
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
IMI is VERY relaxed about requirements. That doesn't mean you should be.

No, they don't require you to tape up lights or remove mirrors. It's not a bad idea, but not required. I don't tape up the bike for IMI. Ignoring the mirrors is a great idea...missed that one. Nice catch!

RYBO,

You missed BRING A CAMERA! Scotts a great photographer if you forget yours though. He's got some great shots of me and the PnP.

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
for sure camera, duct tape just in case?? good thing my mirrors are long gone i guess...

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
If we're going to talk about stuff to bring, I would also suggest if you don't already always carry these,

-Factory took kit (better safe then sorry)
-tire pressure guage (want to ride there with your normal tire pressure, but once you are ready to get on the track you will want to drop to 28-29psi. Then fill you tires back to the normal pressure settings for the ride home)
-water (I bring this up again because Scott ran out last week, It was getting pretty warm. Thank you Elden for popping up the tent)

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
are you guys riding there or trailering?

pauliep
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
<- ride

Vehicle 1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
VECHICLE 1 is from boulder Whats up by the way I cant remember how to spell your name and I dont want to butcher it. How you been ?

Hey,

I have been good man, trying to hit the track more to get confident with my riding. I love it, each time I go I learn a lot and makes the street easier, so long you watch for the cagers, gravel, deer ...(I was like 3 ft. from hitting one last week…:shocked: ....but the thing decided to change directions at the last second, I was specting the impact and everything, scary)

How have you been?
Yeah..... Diego.

If someone whants to leave together from Boulder let me know, PM me or something, and we can figure out time/place to meet.

I'll keep that in mind...:lol:

ZX Rider
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
I'll be there if weather is good!

UpOn1
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
just got that tire on... defenetly improved the handling.. i thought my forks were bent cause of wabble but i guess the tire was just not balanced

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hey,

I have been good man, trying to hit the track more to get confident with my riding. I love it, each time I go I learn a lot and makes the street easier, so long you watch for the cagers, gravel, deer ...(I was like 3 ft. from hitting one last week…:shocked: ....but the thing decided to change directions at the last second, I was specting the impact and everything, scary)

How have you been?
Yeah..... Diego.

If someone whants to leave together from Boulder let me know, PM me or something, and we can figure out time/place to meet.

I'll keep that in mind...:lol:
I've been better but my world is a little bit better of a place to be now that I can ride. Glad to here you can make it. See you sunday man.

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
<Riding

Bassil Duwaik
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
What time did you guys say your heading down there?

N1KSS1KS1x
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm leaving aurora around 8 and meeting up with slo1299 at 830-9 at the shell off 120th

krod
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Dam we might have to start running 3 sessions. Karts, street bikes then tards.

rybo
Fri Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Dam we might have to start running 3 sessions. Karts, street bikes then tards.

Come on man....I wasn't slowing you down THAT much...

dirkterrell
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Come on man....I wasn't slowing you down THAT much...

Nah, I'm much better at slowing down the tards (and everyone else for that matter). http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

UpOn1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Nah, I'm much better at slowing down the tards (and everyone else for that matter). http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

don't meant to sound like a tard.... but what's a "tard" in this conversation???

are ppl gonna lap me and throw shit at me if i'm slow?

UpOn1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sunday :hump:

Mostly SunnyHigh
65°F

Precip
10%
Wind:W 11 mphMax. Humidity:44%UV Index:6 High
Sunrise:6:57 AM MTAvg. High:58°FRecord High:78°F (1985)

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
A tard is a dirtbike setup to run on pavement ie slicks wider rims bigger brakes and some other changes they call supermoto or motard bikes,they look like alot fun from what I've seen. Sideways alot
See ya in the morning

UpOn1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 04:30 PM
they should just get a street bike... and drift it. Tuned my bike last night so i'm ready to go, what color is your bike?

Bueller
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
don't meant to sound like a tard.... but what's a "tard" in this conversation???

Tard for sale (http://home.comcast.net/~bueller999/for_sale.htm)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
So, I'm thinking everyone's gonna be there around 9:30? Still debating.....

Slo
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I will be there at the latest 0930.....

UpOn1, I pm'd you Adams number, he is the one that went to the dealership with me, he lives in N Boulder in those funky colored hosues. Call him up today (saturday) and you guys can meet up somewhere.

Jay

UpOn1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
be there!

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
they should just get a street bike... and drift it. Tuned my bike last night so i'm ready to go, what color is your bike?

My bike is flat black mostly, I'm in the middle of a change but money has put it on hold. At least its all one color though:D Its a 03 R6

Bassil Duwaik
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I might go...If I do does anyone want to meet up in aurora and ride out there?

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'll meet up you and then we can meet up with Jay off 120th if you want.
We would have to roll out of aurora at like 8 though .

Slo
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Vehicle 1, I pm'd you my buddies number, he will probably be meeting up with UpOn1 as well in Boulder then heading to IMI.

See you guys out there in the morning!!!! Don't forget to bring drinks and light food....

I got my camera and camcorder charging right now.

Bassil Duwaik
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
alright I'll roll. How about we meet up off of 225 and alameda the conoco station at 8?

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thats in the same parking lot as harbor freight right?

Bassil Duwaik
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
next to it but pretty much yes

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Alright I'll see there
He's my number if you have any troubles or what not 303-242-1564
My name Nik is your name really bassil?

dirkterrell
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I just drove out there to see how bad it was and it is extremely muddy on the dirt road. I had to wash the caked-on mud off the Saturn when I got home. It might dry out a bit if it doesn't rain any more tonight but I suspect it will still be quite messy early in the morning. I'll probably stick to the streets tomorrow.

Dirk

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
^shat I dont really like the sound of that

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
well there is a plan in place kinda to go riding if its to bad so down to check it out and if not just ride on up to 34 and go from there

Slo
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
If the mud it too much, let's just meet at the intersection where the mud begins. If I am out there early, I will wait until 0945-1000 to see who all shows up. For those that plan on going, take down my number 303-557-8013 and give me a call if you want to meet up somewhere and we are already gone from IMI.

Jay

Vehicle 1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I just drove out there to see how bad it was and it is extremely muddy on the dirt road. I had to wash the caked-on mud off the Saturn when I got home. It might dry out a bit if it doesn't rain any more tonight but I suspect it will still be quite messy early in the morning. I'll probably stick to the streets tomorrow.

That sucks…

I think we will show up anyway and see how it looks in the morning. Nik’s idea of meeting there, and going to the canyons if it is bad, sounds good.

D.

Bueller
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
It'll be very bad, everyone should go to the canyons! :D

pauliep
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I plan to leave aurora around 930, so I'll call you, Jay, before I leave to see what's up

dirkterrell
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It'll be very bad, everyone should go to the canyons! :D

Yeah, you guys trailering in will, I suspect, have it to yourselves. Anyone riding a bike through that mess ,as it is now, will need to spend 20 minutes hosing off their bike before getting onto the track.

Dirk

N1KSS1KS1x
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM
So Jay I'll see you in morning at the shell with Bassil

Slo
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
good deal..... and if there is a hose available, thats a small price to pay haha.

UpOn1
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM
should be there around 930

Bassil Duwaik
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
So Jay I'll see you in morning at the shell with Bassil

not the shell but the conoco across the street at 8

Slo
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
not the shell but the conoco across the street at 8

I think what he was referring to was afterwards meeting up with me at 120th and huron off I-25...... See you guys then.

Bassil Duwaik
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 09:55 PM
oh, kool

krod
Sat Mar 24th, 2007, 10:47 PM
PLEASE REMOVE YOUR MIRROR'S BEFORE GETTING ON THE TRACK.

Bueller
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM
PLEASE REMOVE YOUR MIRROR'S BEFORE GETTING ON THE TRACK.
+1 - and don't look back, and don't move over to let people pass, hold your line.

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Awesome day out there!!!! Had a few mishaps though luckily no injuries. Good seeing some of the faces from last year and meeting the new ones.....

Bassil Duwaik
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Had an awesome time fellas. I think everyone pick up a thing or two from the track. Wish I could open my bike up though. Only hit 100 going down that straight. However the true bone of contingent I had were those motards messing up my line. They own that track with those little bikes.

For those of you who went down...Don't let it bother you. At the very least you didn't go down doing something stupied like doing a wheelie (me). Well I had a great time and am happy I could be there guys. Thought I was going to go to jail thursday night when I pulled a wheelie right in front of a cop (dumb dumb and dumber). He was cool though and told us to be careful.

I'm off to do some jet skiing at cherry creek. Looking forward to seeing the pics! peace

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Damn man, you must be in goodA$$ shape, my entire body is exhausted..... Have fun out there. Oh yeah, sunscreen next time, I'm looking pretty fugly with my crazy tan circling my face hahaha.

pauliep
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Good times friends. Big thank you to Mark for helping me with getting my bike on the road. Made it home fine without any oil dripping. Thank you Nick and Bassil for riding home with me.

Here's the pics from my camera
http://picasaweb.google.com/skidrock7/IMI

Vehicle 1
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Crazy day out there… but nobody seemed to have gotten hurt (at least seriously hurt), so good day overall. It was nice meeting you guys….

See ya next time.

D.

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM
hey Paul, glad you made it home ok. Let me know if you ever need help with your bike......not that I will be of any good though?

Vehicle 1, haha, again, that was awesome riding on the bandit!!!

pauliep
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
hey Paul, glad you made it home ok. Let me know if you ever need help with your bike......not that I will be of any good though?

Thanks Jay. Best help I can get is shopping for the parts. So if ya got down time to inbetween work and posting on here, search some. Putting them on isn't a problem. Just finding the deals on the stator cover and the rear sets. I already found a pair of adjustables for less then 300.

pauliep
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/pauliep/wheeliemini.jpg

I think this was my favorite pic from today. Going home and getting on the pit bike. nice and safe :)

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Will do man....

BTW, ebay has some factory ones pretty cheap, you can also check gixxer.com

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
http://shop.attackperformance.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=19B0000-1133677377

http://www.cyclecat.com/SRS1-1.htm

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hehehe.... track was soooooo muddy when we first got there......

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2963/picture007yj2.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5563/picture009pu8.jpg

Vehicle 1
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Thanx Slo1299… ...I love that Bandit man. As long as I keep her front settled and under control she does well. Can’t wait to get on the track again and work on the right hand turns, still feeling less confident than in the left turns.

D.

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Nice to meet you newcomers today. Sorry to see the carnage but glad everyone walked away ok. Definitely the worst day for drops that I've seen out there this year and it was by far the busiest day I've seen too.

Dirk

N1KSS1KS1x
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Goodtimes Nice meetin ya guys. Paul hey no problem bud if you need anything let me know.
Jay hope your boy is ok he looked pretty efed off when I left.
Big thankyou to the guy on the kawi tard for runing off and going down in the mud instead of making me a speed bump. My bike is alright mostly just mud a bent shifter and a little grindage on the case and slider and my spool got bent took some color off my leathers.
I forsure think it was a little to busy for how small it was out there. I'm to slow for those tards they rip that shit looks hella fun.
I've got some pics. I'll post umm in a bit

Lurch
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Some of those tard riders are national guys or ex AMA roadracers.

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I thought it was very cool for that couple of guys from the dirt bike trailor to help out with cleaning/sweeping the track in the AM. Even though they weren't there to ride the track they still helped us out. 2-wheel'd people always help each other out in the end, that's what makes it so good.

Bueller
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Some of those tard riders are national guys or ex AMA roadracers.

And some are just 'tards :silly:

racedk6
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Damn I wish I could have made it out there. the last time is was there I crashed and a buddy highsided.

Next time I will go out there and meet all you guys.

SixnChange
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 09:39 PM
good times today! thanks everyone for the tips they helped me do everything but catch those motards! later

Slo
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
good times today! thanks everyone for the tips they helped me do everything but catch those damn motards! later

You did very good out there, don't worry about the motards, they will help motivate you in the future.

krod
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
We definitely need to run sessions next practice. Mixing skill levels like we did today is asking for trouble. We will have to seperate our little bikes from the big fast street bikes.:jerkoff:

eklew
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
We definitely need to run sessions next practice. Mixing skill levels like we did today is asking for trouble. We will have to seperate our little bikes from the big fast street bikes.:jerkoff:

I have the smallest bike!!!! Tards suck.:oops:

UpOn1
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks to everyone that came out today, helped me a lot! let's do it again soon. and those pics are sweet

SixnChange
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Good times friends. Big thank you to Mark for helping me with getting my bike on the road. Made it home fine without any oil dripping. Thank you Nick and Bassil for riding home with me.

Here's the pics from my camera
http://picasaweb.google.com/skidrock7/IMI
sweet many thanks to the photographer!

Bassil Duwaik
Sun Mar 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
When we going to see the pics you got jay?

UpOn1
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:15 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/volga528/view.jpg

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/Slo1299/032507IMI

My camera is not that good and I'm not a good photographer but heres a few..... I might have a couple of short vids later in the week when I get to it.

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM
We definitely need to run sessions next practice. Mixing skill levels like we did today is asking for trouble.

With as many bikes a there were out there yesterday, I agree. We also had a lot of people new to track riding and it sounded like a few of them were a little freaked out by what seemed like close passes. With more experience, they'll realize that if they just ride their line, there's nothing to worry about and that having people go by you within inches is just part of the track experience.

Personally, I only saw one screwup when someone on a tard was clearly thinking he was going to take Bueller on the inside in the righthander at the end of the back straight. I was thinking "bad idea" because he was way too tight on the entry to carry enough speed to get around Bueller. He realized he wasn't going to make it, locked it up, rode off into the dirt and dumped it. In a crowd, that could have been quite ugly.

But, it would be a lot safer to split the sessions by skill level to a) let the inexperienced get their skills built up and b) let the faster guys have more fun. It would also allow some on-track teaching for the inexperienced like I wanted to do yesterday with my brother in law, going slower and showing him lines, body positioning, etc. I would love to see a session or two where the experienced guys pair up with less experienced track riders and teach them how to get better. The experienced guy could lead for several laps to demonstrate things, then switch positions for a few laps to observe and then when they call us in to let the karts out, a post-ride debrief would take place. Seems to me that this would be a good thing to do for a few sessions in the morning.

I sense a little frustration building on both sides and I'd rather we all worked together to become better riders rather than start bitching about each other. How about it?

Dirk

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I sense a little frustration building on both sides and I'd rather we all worked together to become better riders rather than start bitching about each other. How about it?

Dirk

BRILLIANT! (said in my best Guinness commercial voice)

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Good thoughts!!!!

Also a huge thanks to Woody (not sure if he comes on CSC) for taking the time to show me a few things out there @ IMI, RYBO, I listened to what you said before and it helped out comparing to the last time I went there.

I still have so much to learn..... hand cramps were getting me in the AM but later in the afternoon, I was starting to relax on the bike and the hands were doing much better.

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Glad it was working for you!

Looking forward to getting out there again sometime soon

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Dirk

Exactly why I decided to pass. Glad everyone who went had a good time.

pauliep
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
The mentor lap idea is great. Along with seperating into skill levels. Gives more time to discuss laps riden and what's going to be tried on the next time out. I think a lot of progress would be made not to mention a lot safer too.

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
When I went on Saturday, they didn't split into any sessions including the carts. Sundays, is it common for them to do so?

If we split the bike sessions like mentioned above, maybe we could get the IMI track workers to give us enough time to have 3 sessions for: carts, beginner bikes, and advanced bikes? If not, looks like we will only get about 5 laps per session since the track time will be cut down by dividing the bike time into two groups...

pauliep
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
The carts pay the most money for the track. The money pays for the track to be open. Sso the carts will have the priorty over the bikes. I think it would be hard for them to give more time to the bikes then they already give.

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Paul,

That depends on if it's rental karts for practice karts. The rentals will get the priority, like you said. Each person who pays for 10 laps on one of those pays the same amount as we pay for the whole day. The practice kart guys, however, pay exactly what we pay and there should be equal time for them and us.

S

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
If not, looks like we will only get about 5 laps per session since the track time will be cut down by dividing the bike time into two groups...

A better approach might be to designate alternating bike sessions as fast or slow. That would give each group time get warmed up and enjoy the session. I haven't been out there on a Saturday. Maybe it's not quite as busy? If so, that might be a good day for the inexperienced track riders to come out for the one-on-one work.

Another idea is to also do some of those in the afternoons during the week now that we are into DST. I could certainly shift my work schedule a little earlier and go out there one afternoon a week and meet up with people if there was enough interest. There probably wouldn't be many others competing for track time, so we could get some quality time in even if it's only for a few hours.

Dirk

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah I am sure a few of us would agree to alternate sessions, but there will be many others that simply want to get on the track and not wait 45 minutes or so for their sessions to come by. And if there are practice carts, then thats another session thrown into the mix meaning 4 possible groups. An example would be something like this:

1st session - rental carts
2nd session - practice carts
3rd session - beginner riders
4th session - rental carts
5th session - practice carts
6th session - advanced riders
and so on....

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
We need a new track....I know one, maybe two are in the works for eastern Colorado, but I'm really missing Second Creek and CDR these days.

SixnChange
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
We need a new track....I know one, maybe two are in the works for eastern Colorado, but I'm really missing Second Creek and CDR these days.
I agree. we went to a track built for go karts on sunday! Oh it was fun tho dont get me wrong, but I wonder what it would take to make a track..

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
A lot.

Here is one VERY small piece of getting a new track built. There are so many considerations, zoning, proximity of emergency care, track design etc. and none of it comes cheaply. I recently heard that to simply re-pave the Pueblo track, a place that's already designed, land obtained, zoning OK etc would be over $750,000. To put that in perspective you would need almost 30 people to show up every day of the year and pay $75 a per person to cover the PAVING cost. That doesn't include insurance, employees, any kind of maintenance etc.

http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/CAMA_news_11_03_06.pdf

it's a good read...

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I wonder what it would take to make a track..

It ain't cheap and it won't be something that a few sportbikers will be doing unless we have a multi-millionare in our midst. It will take the combined efforts of the various motosports groups in the area. The track in Byers being discussed sounds interesting. There is a shooting range going up out in that area too (Lead Valley) that I will be going to since the idea that sane, normal people actually like to do target shooting in a safe environment is utterly inconceivable to Boulder county government officials. But I digress from the subject at hand... Hopefully something will come through and we can support the people who develop these kinds of facilities.

Dirk

UpOn1
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The mentor lap idea is great. Along with seperating into skill levels. Gives more time to discuss laps riden and what's going to be tried on the next time out. I think a lot of progress would be made not to mention a lot safer too.

That is a pretty good idea, even tho i liked following those guys in race bikes. I didn't really feel any close calls, at leats when i was riding, but i wasn't trying to pass anyone.

p.s. how is everyone online on mon, day?

UpOn1
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
It ain't cheap and it won't be something that a few sportbikers will be doing unless we have a multi-millionare in our midst. It will take the combined efforts of the various motosports groups in the area. The track in Byers being discussed sounds interesting. There is a shooting range going up out in that area too (Lead Valley) that I will be going to since the idea that sane, normal people actually like to do target shooting in a safe environment is utterly inconceivable to Boulder county government officials. But I digress from the subject at hand... Hopefully something will come through and we can support the people who develop these kinds of facilities.

Dirk

hahaha, i thougth there were a few actual race tracks around

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
p.s. how is everyone online on mon, day?

I'm always online while at work :bananna:

UpOn1
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
hahaha, same. they wont let me get on myspace tho

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Here I just upload all photos from Paul and myself to my yahoo thingy (http://photos.yahoo.com/slo1299)

Hope it works

SixnChange
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
A lot.
http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/CAMA_news_11_03_06.pdf

ya, 1.4 million bones! damn.
i guess Byers is closer than Pueblo tho

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
A lot.

Here is one VERY small piece of getting a new track built. There are so many considerations, zoning, proximity of emergency care, track design etc. and none of it comes cheaply. I recently heard that to simply re-pave the Pueblo track, a place that's already designed, land obtained, zoning OK etc would be over $750,000. To put that in perspective you would need almost 30 people to show up every day of the year and pay $75 a per person to cover the PAVING cost. That doesn't include insurance, employees, any kind of maintenance etc.

Yeah your definitely right about it not being cheap. I was just awarded a contract to build a 2.3mi. 20ft road with coverts and grading and all that good stuff for 1mil and I'm the lowest bidder next to no one. The reason I was able to get it that low is because I'm only prepping it with structural squeegee and not paving it. I can surmise to get it paved or concreted will cost no less then another mil easy, assuming all hardships rest on a sole contractor.

About splitting the track, I think that would be a good idea. I had a great time out there but was troubled by some of the new guys going down. On another note one of those motards nearly clip my front tire but outside of that I have no problem with a little bumping and rubbing.

oh yeah thanks for the pics guys and if anyone needs help puting their ride back together simply let me know and we'll see what can be done

krod
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Personally, I only saw one screwup when someone on a tard was clearly thinking he was going to take Bueller on the inside in the righthander at the end of the back straight. I was thinking "bad idea" because he was way too tight on the entry to carry enough speed to get around Bueller. He realized he wasn't going to make it, locked it up, rode off into the dirt and dumped it. In a crowd, that could have been quite ugly.

Dirk

That was me. It was not a screwup my line was takin away b/c someone Did not have enough sense to remove there MIRROR'S and was worried about what was behind them.:scream1: All in all it was a good day no one got hurt and we found out what we need to start doing to make it a little safer. I talked to Brad (owner) he is going to make a few changes before letting bikes on the track.:)

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
That was me. It was not a screwup my line was takin away b/c someone Did not have enough sense to remove there MIRROR'S and was worried about what was behind them.:scream1: All in all it was a good day no one got hurt and we found out what we need to start doing to make it a little safer. I talked to Brad (owner) he is going to make a few changes before letting bikes on the track.:)

So since you know what the changes are, care to share and also let us know when the changes will be in effect?

Also hate to say it, but unless they actually make changes to definitely no mirrors, then mine will stay on. I hate riding around in the street without them. I could put painters tape on em though while at the track.

Bueller
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Mirror definitely need to go, we can see you guys looking in them when were planning the pass, and as soon as you look at them your lines get really erratic and unpredictable. No real tracks allow them and that is for a good reason. We don't want to learn this shit the hard way. You guys want some mentoring, so listen to what the experienced guys say and learn from it. The first thing you will hear from every track whore is take off your mirrors, hold your line and don't get out of the way, just let the faster riders pass you.

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
That was me. It was not a screwup my line was takin away b/c someone Did not have enough sense to remove there MIRROR'S and was worried about what was behind them.:scream1:

I stand corrected, then. I agree about having everyone ditch the mirrors, or at least fold them back. They're only going to cause problems on a track.

Dirk

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM
my mirrors are mine bitchs and no ones taken them away from me...

P.s. if they gotta go they gotta go, It's a small track taking about a min to complet. Speaking of which did anyone get their times around the track? I'm sure if everyone notes their times now and at the end of the year we'll see a big improvment on them

krod
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:24 PM
The AMA national guys are running around 98 second lap times, us mortals are around a minute or so. The best time I had on my sportbike was a 1:04. I heard the track record is a 94 set by a kart.

PsychoMike
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
i did a 1;04 on my r6

rybo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM
The AMA national guys are running around 98 second lap times, us mortals are around a minute or so. The best time I had on my sportbike was a 1:04. I heard the track record is a 94 set by a kart.

I think KROD meant 58 and 54...

I'm pretty quick around it and have managed 1:05 on a sportbike...It takes practice and skill to keep it under 1:10.

krod
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Yep Sorry my typing skills suck.

silkboxr
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks to all who came over and said hi it was a fun day....I was on the old orange & black CBR900RR & my buddy was on the yellow & black R1.....plus or other friends were on a big Black TL1000 and a little red Duc 748. Anyways had fun look forward to seeing you all again....

Take Care,
Joe

TommyTheKid
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM
What do you guys use to get your lap times?

~tommy

rybo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Lap timer.....expensive stopwatch that works off of an infrared beacon...

check 'em out

http://axismoto.com/ReceiverTimers.asp

pauliep
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
most ninja's have a lap timer/stopwatch on them now

Slo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks to all who came over and said hi it was a fun day....I was on the old orange & black CBR900RR & my buddy was on the yellow & black R1.....plus or other friends were on a big Black TL1000 and a little red Duc 748. Anyways had fun look forward to seeing you all again....

Take Care,
Joe

Joe, was nice meeting you guys out there. See you guys out there again soon.

konichd
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
my mirrors are mine bitchs and no ones taken them away from me...

P.s. if they gotta go they gotta go, It's a small track taking about a min to complet. Speaking of which did anyone get their times around the track? I'm sure if everyone notes their times now and at the end of the year we'll see a big improvment on them

I will brake your fuckin' mirrors off then. :)

TommyTheKid
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Wow, over $200 just to see that I am slow, maybe not :)

~tommy

Lap timer.....expensive stopwatch that works off of an infrared beacon...

check 'em out

http://axismoto.com/ReceiverTimers.asp

rybo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Be more than happy to stand at the side with a stopwatch for you for a couple laps....

UpOn1
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Take Care,
Joe

It was good watching you guys do your thang, it also helped to follow you (for the few seconds i could)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think KROD meant 58 and 54...

I'm pretty quick around it and have managed 1:05 on a sportbike...It takes practice and skill to keep it under 1:10.

I seem to remember doing a 1:10.5's on my second track day ever (9/18/06) out there, when Terra was running 1:04's, and Pilot was running 1:10.5's in his Lotus. I remember Mike running close to Terra's times until........ Luckily, both the guys that went down that day were unhurt and the bikes had minimal damage. Fun day though!

I second that I might tape my mirrors next time out, but won't remove them unless the track specifies it. I don't remember having anyone complain about me looking in them. I used them wisely. Key word being wisely.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, over $200 just to see that I am slow, maybe not :)

~tommy

Hell, we'd be happy to tell you you're slow for free!:lol:

konichd
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Mirrors have no place on ANY track, even IMI. You crash, guess whats the first fuckin' peice to bust off and skip across the track in that path of another rider. Take 2 seconds and remove your mirrors, out of respect for your fellow riders and everyone's safety.

TommyTheKid
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I was thinking about the stopwatch thing, I was interested to know *how* slow I was (especially in comparison with everyone else). My TKC-80's are starting to wear out pretty bad, and I have some Metzeler Tourance's in mind :) look out! :p

~tommy

Hell, we'd be happy to tell you you're slow for free!:lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Mirrors have no place on ANY track, even IMI. You crash, guess whats the first fuckin' peice to bust off and skip across the track in that path of another rider. Take 2 seconds and remove your mirrors, out of respect for your fellow riders and everyone's safety.

If it's decided that we prep the bikes for IMI (somewhat defeating the "run what ya brung" premise), then I'll tape things. 'Till then, I MIGHT tape the mirrors. Vote?

konichd
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
No other track allows mirrors, why should we have mirrors at IMI? Just because they have minimal safety standards, that doesn't mean you can't go above and beyond the minimum.

I honestly don't think taping is even enough. TAKE THEM OFF!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM

David-

I agree with what your saying regarding track safety. Ultimately, is it the mirror "skipping across the track" or those riders eyeballing those behind them in their mirrors that really makes things dangerous? Just as you mentioned about the mirror going across the track, aren't there other parts that could easily skip across the track like clutch levers, brake levers, plastics, etc.?

Additionally, just as a polite FYI, taking the mirrors off a K5-K7 GSXR is no 2 second process. Keep in mind, the turn signals are also located in the mirror assembly. The instrument cluster has to be removed in order to separate the wire leads going to the turn signals and the wire routed out of the fairing assembly to remove the entire assembly. Not a huge deal, but it won't be done in the time other bikes can be done.

I would think taping the mirrors with painters tape would be a good start for these setups, but as someone still in the learning process with track days and such I would really like to hear everyone else's take on this.

Thanks,
Randy

Filo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I think taping the mirrors is fine if removing them is a huge hassle. On my SV650, it takes me two minutes to take off the mirrors and put in some zip ties. For me the big problem with mirrors is I start to set up someone for, say, an outside pass and they look in the mirror and move outside to let me go inside. It is the overtaking riders responsibility to pass safely. As long as the overtakee stays smooth and on line, the overtaker should have no problem.

The worse bike parts I have seen skipping down the track during a crash was the carburator assembly. The worst I have had to avoid skipping down the track was the person who just fell off. Taping the mirrors has one more advantage - less broken glass to sweep up.

Slo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I will be picking up painters tape tomorrow after work and will bring it to IMI this weekend for others to use as well.....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
No other track allows mirrors, why should we have mirrors at IMI? Just because they have minimal safety standards, that doesn't mean you can't go above and beyond the minimum.

I honestly don't think taping is even enough. TAKE THEM OFF!

I have no signals in mine, but really ould rather not remove them unless needed. I think taping the glass to ease cleanup is enough, and all I would ask anyone to do, if that. What about all the other breakable bits too? Should we tape all our signals, head and brakelights, and bodywork, replace the coolant, and put the AMA-legal catch-pan w/diaper to prevent any soiling of the track? Doesn't that go against the "run what ya brung" theme of IMI? That's, honestly, one of the reasons I like doing that instead of a normal track, and why I'm hesitant to go to a big one. You show up, you ride, you go home. Little or no prep. My street bike IS my track bike. Hence, my attitude of not wanting to wad the f#cking thing!

Slo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I should have my bar end mirrors pretty soon hopefully and will replace my mirror/blinker with a greggs plate/blinker so the bar-ends will be no problem taking off at anytime.

Better yet, maybe later in the year will have a track bike and a truck/trailor to lug it around.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I should have my bar end mirrors pretty soon hopefully and will replace my mirror/blinker with a greggs plate/blinker so the bar-ends will be no problem taking off at anytime.

Better yet, maybe later in the year will have a track bike and a truck/trailor to lug it around.

I had bar-ends.....and after a while as the rubber deteriorated, they totally sucked and flopped all over the place. Plus, WAY easier to get hit by a car, and more dangerous lane-splitting like I did in CA. Wish it was legal here.....

SixnChange
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
lane-splitting like I did in CA. Wish it was legal here.....
o ya! rush hour on a motorcycle? no such thing.

i'm just now cleaning the IMI mud off my bike..

Bueller
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
For me the big problem with mirrors is I start to set up someone for, say, an outside pass ..
You've passed some one :dunno:

rforsythe
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
:lol:

rybo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have no signals in mine, but really ould rather not remove them unless needed. I think taping the glass to ease cleanup is enough, and all I would ask anyone to do, if that. What about all the other breakable bits too? Should we tape all our signals, head and brakelights, and bodywork, replace the coolant, and put the AMA-legal catch-pan w/diaper to prevent any soiling of the track? Doesn't that go against the "run what ya brung" theme of IMI? That's, honestly, one of the reasons I like doing that instead of a normal track, and why I'm hesitant to go to a big one. You show up, you ride, you go home. Little or no prep. My street bike IS my track bike. Hence, my attitude of not wanting to wad the f#cking thing!

Frank,

I think the point here is to come to some reasonable conclusion about INCREASING the safety of riding at IMI. We haven't had to have this discussion before because it's not been that popular of a place to ride. Last september when you were there you had about 12 bikes....this year we've probably had as many as 30 and it's really starting to get dangerous. There is a huge variance in the skill level out there and one of the major problems that is being encountered is that inexperienced track riders are using their mirrors to eye up what's behind them. In doing this they change line and become unpredictable. There is an easy solution....tape up the mirrors.

All of your other listed mods are great ideas too. There is no reason you can't feel free to go ahead and make them.

I'm guilty of leaving the mirrors on my street bike when I ride to IMI...I don't use them, but I'll be taping or removing in the future because I agree with the premise of the rule. It is flat out dangerous to use the mirrors on the track. PERIOD.

on another note....scariest thing I've ever dodged on the track is a broken chain as it came zipping off of a modern vintage GTO bike in front of me....it had a certain missle like quality that I'm glad I didn't get in the way of.

Filo
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM
You've passed some one :dunno:

Oh, funny. Well, at least Ralph thinks so. And you know I have passed someone, since I have passed you. Sure, you were sitting still, but a pass is a pass.