PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FZR Jetted at Rocky Mountain

ImolaFem
Sun Jan 26th, 2003, 08:07 PM
So I picked my 92 fzr 600 up at Rocky Mountain yesterday. When they called me they told me it was finished. However, I picked it up, drove it a mile, filled it up with gas and it immediately fouled the plugs. I brought it back to Rocky Mountain and they took another 4 hours and rejetted it. I took advantage of the warmer weather today and rode it around. It definitely sputters off throttle and sounds like it runs rich, so I'm thinking it will foul out the plugs in a week or two still.

This bike has a full Vance and Hines race pipe. My friend mentioned he had a full race pipe on his GSX-R and it could never get jetted properly and he'd end up fouling out plugs every two weeks.

So, should I have faith in Rocky Mountain and bring them the bike for a 3rd time to get it jetted or is it a lost cause because of the exhaust pipe setup? And I should look into getting a different exhaust?

Thanks,
Amanda

Cap
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Are you talking about Rocky Mountain in Longmont? The only other Rocky Mountain I know of is Hardly Davidson. Need more information about where exactly you are taking your bike.

ImolaFem
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Rocky Mountain Cycle in Colorado Springs off of Platte and Chelton. The tech who is working on my bike is Craig.

How does the shop where I'm taking my bike affect whether a full race pipe can be tuned with jetting properly for daily riding? :?

Anonymous
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 11:13 AM
How does the shop where I'm taking my bike affect whether a full race pipe can be tuned with jetting properly for daily riding? :?

Well, if they don't know what they're doing.......

Some bikes are hard to jet; plus being an older one, there will be less people in shops who can do it IMO.

Personally, I'd find a race tech at a track or on this board, who you can kick a few bucks to that knows your bike. People still race FZR's, and those guys know the black art of bike tuning real well - better than a shop probably will.

ImolaFem
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
He definitely didn't know where to start, but now that he's tried twice, he should have some idea of where to go. Seems jetting is trial and error.

I'm definitely up for bringing it to someone else who knows exactly what to do the first time and how that bike should be jetted with its current setup at this altitude. So if there are any race gurus, please reply =)

Cap
Mon Jan 27th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Ralph hit the nail on the head. If it were Rocky Mountain Kawaski, in Longmont, I would've said to take it back there, because they have, IMO one of the best mechanics in the state. As for Rocky Mountain Cycyle in the springs, I've never heard of them, not that that's a bad thing, but I don't know anything about their staff. Jetting can be a pain in the ass, and the more goodies you have for performance, can make it that much more difficult to get it right. As far as getting it right, you might check out

Iconoclast
1424P Larimer Square
Denver, Colorado 80202 USA

Ask for Don. Don raced a FZR 400? i think, the last couple of years, and they should know something about the jetting, even though it's not a 600 like yours.

mra828
Wed Jan 29th, 2003, 05:12 PM
So, should I have faith in Rocky Mountain and bring them the bike for a 3rd time to get it jetted or is it a lost cause because of the exhaust pipe setup? And I should look into getting a different exhaust?

Thanks,
Amanda

I wouldn't... sounds like he's guessing to me.

(I hope he's not charging you each time...)

Your exhaust should be fine. For a good shop in the springs I'd suggest Ben Fox at Fox Performance Engines. He's best known as a Ducati guy but knows/works on jap sport/race bikes as well.

http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/

geoff

hcr25
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Give jim at T-Fog wheelsports a call.He works on alot of older bikes and really knows his stuff.His number is 303-216-2400 he is in golden but if you need help getting your bike there i have a enclosed trailer and would be willing to help if needed.Mike

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 08:47 AM
Give jim at T-Fog wheelsports a call.He works on alot of older bikes and really knows his stuff.His number is 303-216-2400 he is in golden but if you need help getting your bike there i have a enclosed trailer and would be willing to help if needed.Mike

Definately!
I am bringing a friends old F3 over there today.

ZRXChris
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 08:50 PM
I had an FZR and it was a friggin' nightmare to jet right.

try some FZR forums, or ask some MRA guys who race vintage the FZR was exactly the same bike from 89 unitl its demise in 99'

sell it and buy a honda if yer lookin' for worry free riding......lol

Cornfed
Sat Feb 1st, 2003, 03:48 PM
Ben Fox is only a few blocks from Rocky Mtn and he does a great job

Husky
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
I also have a older bike...........92 FZR 1000 and I would strongly recommend, TFog Motorsports in Golden. Good luck

Cap
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Since you are down there in the Springs, I'd give Ben Fox a call. He's an MRA guy too, and if he can't fix it, hell be able to tell you who can. Good call Cornfed!

Pork Chop
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Not too slap anyonr in the face but there are a lot better mechanics at Rocky Mountain. Jetting is a fine art and is hard to get right the first time unless you do that bike a lot and know what it takes.

You could always just step up and get a new fuel injected bike, try a V-twin you'll love it. :twisted:

Husky
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Well you know what they say about "opinions"

Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:36 PM
Go to a shop with a dyno and an exhaust analizer. This takes the "art", vodoo, and mystery out of jetting.

They should be able to do it right the first time with the right tools. If they're not using an exhaust analizer, it really is guesswork.