PDA

View Full Version : I can't shift (Alpine Star Tech 10)

TommyTheKid
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hay, I need some help, and I think you guys may be able to offer it :)

I just got these Tech 10's and tried to wear them the other day, but I was having a helluva time shifting. Is there some adjustment I can make to make that easier? Heh, if not, is there someone looking for a set of these in size 11? :)

~tommy

30% off.. 459.95 - 137.98 + tax

Oh man, I hope they aren't too much for street, I just wanted something that provided some shin protection and didn't make me look TOO much like a power ranger :)

All the dirt stuff is 30% off, the street jackets and stuff are 50% .. other stuff is 30-50%.. something that sorta pisses me off (since I just ordered one yesterday) is they have helmets too ;)

~tommy

Devaclis
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Tough to get yer toe under the shifter? Try raising the shifter up a little bit. Worked like a charm for me

Sortarican
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
What's wrong with looking like a Power Ranger?
The chicks dig the Power Rangers.
I get em home to my Star Wars bedecked race-car bed,
whip out my fruit roll-up and tear into their juice box!
Oh yeah, it's party time!:hump:

eklew
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Yes, you can raise the shifter a little but then when you want to push up, you really have to push up to make the shift. I tried to raise my lever up some and then I was missing shifts all the time. You may just need to scoot up a little on the seat to get your foot underneath the shifter. But that is on my sumo, may be a little more difficult on your bike.

TommyTheKid
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It came with some softer torsion bar things, I may try those and see if that makes it easier.

TommyTheKid
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
My current order of operations...

1. Start out normally (first gear is easy)
2. climb up on the gas tank and thread foot down into the shifter
3. shift to second.
4. miss second rev the engine, realize I am in neutral, try again.
5. accelerate thru second
6. shift to third
7. realize I am still in second, reach down with hand and pull the shift lever up while releaseing throttle to catch third.

Yea, I think rasing it up might help, but I am used to being able to shift with a quick ankle movement, rather than whole leg gyrations, will try the softer torsion bars and maybe raise the lever a bit.

Tough to get yer toe under the shifter? Try raising the shifter up a little bit. Worked like a charm for me

Bueller
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
You need to either adapt and overcome or go with roadrace style boots. It takes a while to get used to MX boots. I was wondering why you went with them in the first place. I usually set my shifter height to were I can shift naturally while standing on the pegs.

Sortarican
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The harder tops on my SIDI's took a little getting used to.

I did have to adjust my shift lever up.
Too much at first and had the "leg shift" situation you described.
Once it was set properly most of the problems went away.

Slo
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I went through the same before when I bought my first pair of Sidi's, missing shifts every once in a while. Still do in the street when I'm being lazy. My buddy just got the SMX's and is going through the same. Just takes a little getting used to. Along with the adjustment of the shifter

TommyTheKid
Mon Mar 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I have to admit I didn't know what I was doing. They didn't have any SIDI (that looked like they would provide any protection), these looked cool, and were in my size, so I jumped on it.

FWIW, raising the shift lever has helped immensely.

Thanks guys!

~tommy

You need to either adapt and overcome or go with roadrace style boots. It takes a while to get used to MX boots. I was wondering why you went with them in the first place. I usually set my shifter height to were I can shift naturally while standing on the pegs.

Alchemist
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'd still take A-Stars Tech 10 over Sidi...just my preference...you can also rub down the leather with waterproofing paste then wear em' to bed?!

I have to admit I didn't know what I was doing. They didn't have any SIDI (that looked like they would provide any protection), these looked cool, and were in my size, so I jumped on it.

FWIW, raising the shift lever has helped immensely.

Thanks guys!

~tommy

TommyTheKid
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I also need to put some sort of treatment (mink oil) on my leathers. It seems kinda silly to wear boots to bed tho :p

~tommy

I'd still take A-Stars Tech 10 over Sidi...just my preference...you can also rub down the leather with waterproofing paste then wear em' to bed?!

R1chie
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I also need to put some sort of treatment (mink oil) on my leathers. It seems kinda silly to wear boots to bed tho :p

~tommy

The boots will break in by themselves and you will be able to feel the shifter in time. Happens every time I get a new pair of boots. Mine are not broke in yet, I was on the track last sunday and had a hard time feeling the shifter myself. I don't move the shifter, more misshifts and before/over jumps that is no fun but everyone has thier own way of doing things, may have to do with how tall you are and how big of feet you have.