PDA

View Full Version : Upshifting without the clutch

Devaclis
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Is this harmful for a bike? A bike with high miles? Never tried this before so I thought I would ask before lunching my motor.

rybo
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM
No problem at all. Bikes have sequential transmissions so all of the gears are spinning at the proper speed anyways. Match revs, and shift. The trick is to get right to the point where you aren't accelerating or slowing down so there is little or no load on the gearbox when you go to shift. When you've got it right it will be very very easy. If you have to force it you haven't got it quite right. (I'm sure this last statement applies to many things, but really I'm only talking about shifting gears on a motorcycle here folks....now move along, nothing to see here)

CBRChick
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
*Should answer a number of questions; article from Sport Rider:

Riding Skill Series: Sport Bike Clutchless Upshifting
Stop wasting time using the clutch to upshift

By Kent Kunitsugu
Sport Rider Magazine, September 2004

1. At a recent open track-riding day we attended, we were stunned to see the amount of riders who were wasting a lot of time and physical effort using the clutch to upshift. The continuous rise and gradual fall of the engine’s rpm between each shift as bikes roared by us in the pits had us wondering if there was an epidemic of slipping clutch plates that we didn’t know about. While it may be an important ritual for beginner or novice riders, using the clutch for upshifts during aggressive canyon or track riding is totally unnecessary (unless, of course, your bike has some shifting/transmission issues that prevent using this technique). In fact, there are many riding situations where it can be a nuisance and even a hindrance to quicker and smoother riding.

2. A motorcycle’s gearbox differs from your typical automobile transmission in that it can actually change gears under a small load, and only needs a slight interruption in the flow of power to accomplish an upshift. Its constant-mesh, sequential dog-engagement design means it can change gears much more readily than a typical automobile synchromesh transmission that requires an almost total stop in power flow, which is why using the clutch is necessary for upshifts in manual-transmission cars. This is why "power shifters" are so popular with motorcycle racers; by using a device that cuts ignition power momentarily while upshifting, the rider is able to keep the throttle pinned wide open, saving time and effort.

3. Basically, the technique is simple: Instead of shutting off the throttle completely and pulling in the clutch while you shift, just let off the throttle a small amount and perform the upshift in a quick, near-simultaneous movement; ignore the clutch. Don’t shut the throttle off completely, just let off enough to get the shift done. Upshifting without the clutch also gets you in the habit of performing the shift quickly and smoothly, as otherwise the weight transfer from letting off the throttle can upset the bike’s handling. Once you become accustomed to using this technique, you’ll be amazed at the time and energy saved (and you’ll probably reduce wear and tear on your clutch plates, too, judging by the clutch slip we could hear as riders at that track day tried to squeeze and release the clutch lever quick enough during each shift).

4. There are many riding situations where the physical exertion saved from not having to constantly squeeze the clutch lever during upshifts can be a huge benefit. For instance, when accelerating through a set of tight switchback turns or chicanes, your arms and hands are busy with the effort of steering the bike, and your body positioning may also prohibit being able to release your grip on the left bar to work the clutch lever. In scenarios like this, there simply isn’t the time or the wherewithal to deal with the clutch, and at the end of a long ride or track session every little bit of your energy level conserved can help you avoid making a crucial mistake. Also, the smooth riding that results from learning to shift properly will pay major dividends in added speed on the road or track.-SR

~Barn~
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Not at all. If it's done smoothly, there is actually less wear-n-tear, from what I've read. I'd say a good place to try it, is on on-ramps, when you're putting the whip to your engine.

Just put a slight amount of upward toe-pressure on your shifter lever, and as you're rolling on the throttle (fairly aggressivley), cut it for a split second and follow-through with that pressure from your toes. You'll shift right up, and can instantaniously get back on the gas! It's not really something to try and implement when just cruising around town. Have fun with it.

EDIT: Damn you two are fast.
:D

konichd
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Also this months issue of Sport Rider revisits this topic! Along with a review of the new ZX-6RR! :)

Or if your DK, you buy a quickshifter and just "kick-it"

pilot
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Now Dana, if you want a real hoot... Use your left hand to reach down and pre-load the shifter, tuck down on the tank get the rpms up and then snap the throttle off and on while pulling up on the shifter. Just like old school. And it will prove to the guy next to you that you CAN shift without the clutch.

Sortarican
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, What they said. :up:

But be careful if you try power shifting down.
Potentially hazardous to the motor and rider if you don't get right back on the throttle and match revs.
A lot more stress on the motor and you can lock the rear, stand it up in a curve, or just send youself over the bars.:banghead:

I shelled a RM125 and two RD350 motors power-shifting down.
Two shift forks, a tweeked shaft, and one bent rod.
(But that was when I was young and stupid and treated my toys harshley):oops:

Though if you have a slipper clutch.....but we've discussed that topic before.

Bueller
Tue Mar 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I downshift the tards ocasionally in the clutchless mode (blip and shift), but I always upshift w/o clutch