PDA

View Full Version : 92 fzr1000 fork seals help?????????

itsme1738
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM
my seals are leaking...both...got a friend who
says he can do it without any special tools
but after reading some of uour posts
im starting to think i should just take it to
t fog (they said under 200.00) any imput
guys????????
ps my manual states 3 special tools
jeff :(

irdave
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Special tools... Well, for standard forks you'd need:

A rear stand
a front stand that holds the bike by the triple clamp
a socket that's big enough to get the front wheel off
a whole slew of "common" hand tools
allen wrenches, wrenches
sockets, stuff like that
a big crescent wrench
a seal driver
a fork oil height gauge
torque wrench for putting it all back together
and a bunch of knowledge-

That would be for a typical fork... So maybe you've got that stuff already, so you wouldn't need any more tools. Or maybe you have most of it, so all you'd need to buy is the seal driver. Or maybe (my typical situation) it's time to do it and you just don't have the tools and are looking for an excuse, any excuse, to go buy cool new tools...

But that's the basics as to what you'd need.

MattTLS
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Dave pretty much covered it all. The only other thing you might need depends on whether or not your bike has cartridge forks (I'd imagine it does). If so, a fork spring compressor and/or tools to help with this really help in both disassembly and reassembly.

Matthew

Dave2K
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
For lots of FZR-related tech tips and advice, try the FZR Archives (http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr/forum/)

I've found some good help there from time to time...

irdave
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 08:14 PM
What Matt said about the spring compressor has to do with upside down forks- For that, you DEFINATELY need a fork spring compressor. Regular forks (shiny side up) can be done without- both cartridge and non.

itsme1738
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM
thanks guys lots o help! and dave2k great link really helps!!!
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: what do u guys think of t-fog price
for doin it?

irdave
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 11:47 AM
T-Fog's price... Well, seeing as I've spent several thousands of dollars on tools, that's up to you to decide. I didn't want to spend the money on a regular basis, so I spent it on tools instead. But there's a lot of knowledge that goes into it, too.

yakuza
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM
You can probably save some money by taking your forks off and just bringing them to Tfog instead of the whole bike, I would imagine part of that $200 is for removal of parts (bodywork, wheel, forks).