PDA

View Full Version : Paint and your bike.

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I know many of the members on this board are well-versed in all kinds of motorcycle maintenance ranging from the simple to complex. I was wondering if anyone here has "successfully" re-painted their bike themselves? If so, how did it turn out and what kind of paint did you use for plastics vs tank vs rims? I read the past posts about two shops but I am not looking for a 900 dollar one color paintjob for my bike that is already 7 years old. Was thinking about painting it black with the silver/chrome Kawasaki decals...Any and all insight is greatly appreciated....I would be happy to pay someone on the board to help me undertake this project if they had some useful experience!! Thanks!!!

rybo
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
No experience painting a bike other than my racebike, which gets cheap rattlecan paint. Sometimes it turns out good, sometimes bad. From 10 feet away it looks OK.

Now rims, that I do have experience with. Don't paint them, get them powdercoated. It's much tougher and can be had in almost any color you might want.

I use Premium Powdercoating in Longmont and they do great work. Their number is (303) 776-7560.

I know many of the members on this board are well-versed in all kinds of motorcycle maintenance ranging from the simple to complex. I was wondering if anyone here has "successfully" re-painted their bike themselves? If so, how did it turn out and what kind of paint did you use for plastics vs tank vs rims? I read the past posts about two shops but I am not looking for a 900 dollar one color paintjob for my bike that is already 7 years old. Was thinking about painting it black with the silver/chrome Kawasaki decals...Any and all insight is greatly appreciated....I would be happy to pay someone on the board to help me undertake this project if they had some useful experience!! Thanks!!!

UpOn1
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm about to paint the fairing on my kawi, let you know how it turns out...

cerebus
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Check out the book "How To Paint Your Motorcycle" on Amazon by JoAnn Bortles. Cerebus has this one and she explains things very well, from setting up your paint booth to custom painting. One review says 'not for sportbikes,' but Cerebus disagrees. There's another on there called "How to Custom Paint Your Motorcycle" by a different author that seems like the next step beyond Bortles' book, but from the same publisher.

As for paint on fairings vs. tank, Cerebus is no expert, but the same paint should work for both. According to Urethane Supply's information, if you spray on a coat of their Plastic Magic first, the paint will stick just as though if it was metal. Check out their informational articles at urethanesupply.com.

HTH!

AshliRider44
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
What kind of equipment do you have to use?? If you have a paint gun and all that jazz then use PPG or RM are very good. I used PPG on Hoopty's bike and it turned out great. We shot brand new plastics though. We did three base coats and clear coat then we shot the detail. Before you paint be sure to sand the plastics but not too hard or too much. Make sure they are nice and smooth. Try and do it when its warm out and clean up the garage youre working in so that dust and particles dont get in the paint while its drying after each coat.

Your biggest challenge will be taping off to do any sort of detail or graphics, you really need to overdo it to make sure it doesn't look like shit with splatter on parts you didn't want a diff color. Nope it doesn't make any difference tank vs plastics. Just make sure theres no gas in the tank before you paint it ;)

Sortarican
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM
+1 on powder coating rims/frame peices/fork lowers.

Metal vs. Plastic, same paint, but you can use type specific primer.
(I've never bothered.)

Great (cheap) paint booth setup can be made by building a frame (or use a corner of a garage/shed).
Wrap with sheets of plastic (including floor), disposable paint drop cloths from Home Supply store work, but won't last forever.
Overlap two sheets on one wall by a couple feet.(Entrance)
Cut out opening the size of a house fan on one side.
Cut an opening the size of a furnace filter (opposite side)
Duct tape fan (blowing out) and filter in openings.

Keep the booth as clean as possible.
Always wear a resporator! (or you'll hear your brain cells going snap-crackle-pop)
You can hang parts with wire while painting/drying.
Apply light coats of paint and let cure between coats.
A little wet sanding here and there, a halfway descent paint and gun, and you can get really good results.

Paint supply house can recommend paint types and give you tips on how to mix, thin, and apply each kind.

A rattle can and good prep/finish sanding and you can get a suprisingly nice finish too.

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses....I really appreciate everyone's input.. I have zero knowledge about painting a bike so all the advice has been great...keep it coming....

RYBO- How much did it cost you to powercoat your rims with Premium Powdercoating in Longmont? I will be sure to give them a call...anyone I should talk to in particular???

UpOn1- Let me know how your plastics turn out..seeing as we are both in boulder, it would be real easy to meet up and see what kind of potential my bike has...

AshliRider44- Sounds like you have some good hands on experience...Unfortunately, I have no garage because I live in a condo..BUT, I am looking to paint my bike all black so there are no worries about the paint covering any decals ect....HMM... since you have already painted a bike.....maybe I could convince you and Hoopty to do a quick paint for me for some cash???

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
+1 on powder coating rims/frame peices/fork lowers.

Metal vs. Plastic, same paint, but you can use type specific primer.
(I've never bothered.)

Great (cheap) paint booth setup can be made by building a frame (or use a corner of a garage/shed).
Wrap with sheets of plastic (including floor), disposable paint drop cloths from Home Supply store work, but won't last forever.
Overlap two sheets on one wall by a couple feet.(Entrance)
Cut out opening the size of a house fan on one side.
Cut an opening the size of a furnace filter (opposite side)
Duct tape fan (blowing out) and filter in openings.

Keep the booth as clean as possible.
Always wear a resporator! (or you'll hear your brain cells going snap-crackle-pop)
You can hang parts with wire while painting/drying.
Apply light coats of paint and let cure between coats.
A little wet sanding here and there, a halfway descent paint and gun, and you can get really good results.

Sortarican- Thanks for the step by step..If I can find someone's garage or barn to borrow for a day, I will print out your post and do what I can....sounds like you have some prior experience too....If I drop the cash, maybe you could help me with the detailing????

Devaclis
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
You shouild see the sweet paint on his car! He really does know his stuff!!

rybo
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Mr. Ninja,

I don't exactly recall the total, but it wasn't very expensive. One set I had done was for Devaclis....Dev, do you remember what it cost???

Make sure to take out your cush drive and wheel bearings before you take it over there as powdercoating uses a bit of heat to make it cure.

Call Shane over there and let him know that Scott from Colorado Railcar sent you his way.

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Mr. Ninja,

Mr. Scott,

Please call me Takamori.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdS5lkeN8_8

Cheers!

:cheers: :cheers:

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
or Fleetwood works too.

Sortarican
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
You shouild see the sweet paint on his car! He really does know his stuff!!
I've told you before, primer makes a car go faster......butt-munch!!!!

BTW,
I did the RD's paint job for $8 bucks

What'd you spend on the Hawk's paint? (and did they charge extra for easy-peel gas tank?)

Devaclis
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
LOL, the paint on my bike was cheap. It was the application that was kinda pricey :)

Sortarican
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Mr. Scott,

Please call me Takamori.

Mr. High-Forest?:think:

What type of black?
(Gloss or Flat)

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM
[quote=Sortarican]Mr. High-Forest?:think:

Damn, didn't think anyone spoke Japanese on this board...Never underestimate the diversity of the CSC.

I probably would prefer gloss because there is already some glossy black on the nose section....I am riding a stock Green and Black 2000 ZX-6R..
Let me know if this attachment doesn't work.

I would definately be willing to pay some money if you could help me out with this project and maybe some Fat Tire or Newcastle as well...

Sully
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
It's still going to be slow no matter what color it is :D

BoulderNinja
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
:spit: .................................................. .....:cry:

Sortarican
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
[quote=Sortarican]Mr. High-Forest?:think:
Damn, didn't think anyone spoke Japanese on this board...Never underestimate the diversity of the CSC..

LOL, yeah, one whole year.
10 more years and I could hope to speak it at the same level as a native 3 year old retarded girl.:banghead:
Got the name because Takayama is my favorite Sushi place and the Japanese version of my last name is Mori.

Also,
PM set to you on painting.

Sortarican
Wed Mar 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
It's still going to be slow no matter what color it is :D

You so mean Sully.....but we love it.

BoulderNinja
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Still trying to figure out if it is worth my time and money to paint the zx-6r but I came across this ad and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these guys...

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/303141823.html

rybo
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM
heck, if it's not rashed and you can stand looking at it I would say save the money for tires, take a track class, go do some track days. New paint won't ever make you a faster/better rider!

Now if you just can't stand looking at it or it's damaged, that's another story....

BoulderNinja
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM
heck, if it's not rashed and you can stand looking at it I would say save the money for tires, take a track class, go do some track days. New paint won't ever make you a faster/better rider!

Now if you just can't stand looking at it or it's damaged, that's another story....

I have had 3 kawasakis, all the neon lime green, and my eyes are tired. I like my bike and have not outgrown it; however, I want a change and thought a new paint scheme might do just that. On the other hand, I have been considering selling it for a newer, hopefully fuel-injected 600-750cc bike. I have it listed on CL for 3750. Let me know if you know anyone looking for or selling a bike in this class.

UpOn1
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM
i have a booth set up at my shop (it's not a 10G booth by any means). you want to sand it with wet 600 right before paint. pm if you want to work something out, i might be using the same kawi green

BoulderNinja
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 12:14 PM
PM sent.