PDA

View Full Version : Concrete or asphalt

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Anyone ever notice that concrete doesn't give you the same grip that asphalt does?

rybo
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I've noticed that the concrete isn't ususally as smooth as the asphalt, but never really had grip problems on either. Asphalt tends to have more "tar snakes" on it and I certainly notice those on hot days...

McVaaahhh
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Wet concrete sucks the big fat one. :down:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'll take wet concrete over wet (or super hot) tar snakes.
Those things are the debil!

dillinger09
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM
my local track back in Va. had concrete strips through the turns for "traction." i never noticed any extra traction or a lack of traction................there were some nasty tar snacks through the chicane that made for an interesting time:shocked:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Anyone ever notice that concrete doesn't give you the same grip that asphalt does?

You dump your bike or something?

DevilsTonic
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
New concrete sucks the big one, all that damn dust!! PMI had some of that at turn ten when I was there, it sucked balls...spun up the rear every time through that corner

Brizz
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
PMI sucks anyways...Like La Junta

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM
You dump your bike or something?

Didn't dumb the bike but came too close for comfort. Riding up hwy 93 and right where the lane merges for the first time after 6th going N I hit the front brakes pretty hard but careful not to lock them up when I ran into some bumps and it made my front tire squeak with every bump so I thought I could attribute it being asphalt.

Then a few hours later I was pushing it a little with the onramp which was concrete when I noticed my back end come a little lose though parts of the circle ramp.

I'm sure both these experiences can be attributed to me pushing it but the purpose of this thread was to get some impute from your experiences with it and draw upon them which I am/have

Thanks for the heads up on the matter

Dub
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe your tires are the weak link here, hmmmmm

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Not saying I've got the best tires but micheiln pilot powers, with some 1500mi on them. I was riding on them for no less then 30min when I had those two encounters so I know they were warm. It's not the first time such a thing happens.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Maybe your tires are the weak link here, hmmmmm

I wonder if there was air in them? Hummmmmm x2

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
K....The tires are good. Obviously, the rear end is a little too light. Here, strap these babies on the Duc!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/saddlebags.jpg

Fill 'em up with sand and no more traction control probs.

:D

Dub
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:37 PM
might as well fill them with the gold bars you would normally use to pay for the valve adjustments every 20 miles on those piles. That would be heavier than sand and therefore better for traction.

rybo
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Not saying I've got the best tires but micheiln pilot powers, with some 1500mi on them. I was riding on them for no less then 30min when I had those two encounters so I know they were warm. It's not the first time such a thing happens.

The Pilot Power is one of the best street tires I've ever run...I'd say it's 85-90 percent of the race tires I've run on the track and way WAY better than any race tire when used on the street.

What is your problem with them?

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm running 35 in the rear and 37 in the front. I should have added a bit after the track last week. Everything is fine I was just pushing it too hard.

So for the most part you guys keep an extra eye out for those snakes (tar patches) in the road. I still think asphalt is better. I hate new concrete esp when it's still got those groves in them. They seem to pull my bike one way or the other till they wear down a bit.

Brizz
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
i run 31 in the front and 30 in teh back...That seems to work well for me...

Dub
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm running 35 in the rear and 37 in the front. I should have added a bit after the track last week. Everything is fine I was just pushing it too hard.

So for the most part you guys keep an extra eye out for those snakes (tar patches) in the road. I still think asphalt is better. I hate new concrete esp when it's still got those groves in them. They seem to pull my bike one way or the other till they wear down a bit.

Definitely bump those up a few pounds. Maybe 38f and 41r. Thats what I run

rybo
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm running 35 in both tires on the street and 30 rear 31 front on the track

FZRguy
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
The concrete in the corners of your local track is to prevent the higher HP vehicles from tearing up the track surface. I believe that the condition of the surface, age, what maybe on it and temperature is more important re grip than whether it’s asphalt or concrete.

Spr0cket
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Always found well maitenaned asphalt to be far grippier than concrete in road riding.
I've ridden most of my two wheeled life in the Uk - where prety much every road is tarmac surfaced.

Likely due to weather seeing road surfaces continually doused and water logged, but road surface and for some reason markings too are much better on the asphalt - when it rains here I can't see squat in teh glare of the water on the concrete surfaces - and night time driving / riding in the rain here seems to make it even worse.

Not sure also if the smaller vehicles in UK and europe do not tear the roads up as much as would occur here with the larger and resultingly heavier vehicles that are in use.

Bassil Duwaik
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I know for a fact that the paint on the street doesn't grip for shit. But yeah I'll agree that temp, age and condition acounts for a lot but assuming that everything is on the up and up new surface and the likes would asphalt grip better ( I think so).

On a side note I think asphalt warms up quicker.

JAFO
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Black is warmer than grey and that is the fact!