PDA

View Full Version : cbr forks

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:17 PM
ok so i have a fork that is a bit tweaked and keeps blowing the seal. does anyone know if i grapped forks off a cbr 900,or a 929 if they would fit?

Rick T.
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Ohlins from a Mille R? Check the Aprilia boards. :D

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
huh?

The GECCO
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
dunno for sure if they'll work, but I bet they would. the question is are you willing to give up your nice radial mount brakes? will you have to also buy the calipers (definitely), rotors (probably, I think they changed the diameter) and the right wheel (dunno about this one)?

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM
ok see the whole point is not to pay 600 for new forks.

The GECCO
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Exactly how is it "tweaked"? Someone like Marcus Mcbain may be able to fix it, or at least replace only the bad pieces for much less than $600.

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:39 PM
i dunno not enough to notice really but they seal won't hold. cynister dave said when he did the fork seals that he could tell it was tweaked. he was gonna keep an eye out for new forks for me too. i didn't know you could fix a fork

The GECCO
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'm assuming you have a slightly bent tube? If so, that can definitely be fixed.

I would suggest getting it into Marcus' hands this weekend at Pueblo (he's from Texas but comes up to work with the MRA) and get his opinion on what to do. If you aren't coming down, either get it to me or anyone else who is going down who can get it to me and I will have him check it out. He's a great guy, straight shooter and knows suspension inside and out. He worked for Traxxion Dynamics for a few years and is now out on his own doing suspension work. WWW.roadracinghelp.com

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM
not sure if i'll be able to make it down there, lol or take my forks off. in i shot him an email though. so how do you get to pueblo anyway?

The GECCO
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Taking the fork off is cake, the hardest part may be getting the front end up in the air if you don't have the proper stand. If you have a garage you can use your tie down straps to hang the front of the bike from the rafters by wrapping soft ties around the triple clamp and hooking the tie downs to them and to the rafters.

Then you remove both brake calipers (2 bolts each, leave the lines intact) and the front wheel. The loosen both upper and lower triples and wherever the controls are attached to the fork. The entire fork assembly will slide out the bottom. Easy!

Or, if you can get the entire bike to me in Fort Collins by Wed PM I can do the disassembly, take the fork down there myself, and do all the reassembly when it's done. I'm happy to do it for ya, just lemme know when you can get it up here.

Directions to the track and a mapquest link are HERE (http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=where)

The GECCO
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 08:18 PM
oh, and he prolly won't get the email anytime soon, he left this afternoon to come up here to do some pre-race testing with the Burke's.

thunderseye
Sun Apr 25th, 2004, 08:25 PM
oh allright i'll let ya know, but i probably won't be able to get to ft collins this week appreciate the help though