PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air filter?

GregsGSXR
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Can an air filter make much of a difference, or are there any you can recommend? (2006 GSXR-600). I am thinking of getting a K&N.

Lurch
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM
NO. I made 1 extra hp on the dyno changing filters and going without as a result. That was on a racebike and not recommended on the street. Not sure on K6 GSXR but on the K5 R6's the stock filter made the best hp readings.

In other words don't waste your money.

Lurch

rybo
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Same was true on my FZR400 and Ducati 748...stock filters provide the best results in both cases.

GregsGSXR
Thu Mar 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I guess leaving well enough alone is the answer. I would like to thank everyone for the info, every time I ask a question I get the straight answer. I am sure I will come up with a million more questions along the way. Thanks again.

The_Jackel
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Its such a little difference the answer would be no. But is very usefull on maintaining a bike. i.e. it will save you money down the road since one K&N typically lasts the life of the bike. Also you get a healthier throaty sound from those tbs!! :)

Devaclis
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
What about Uni Pods? Do I HAVE to modify the exhaust if I run them?

rybo
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Dana,

You don't have to do the exhaust, but you will have to do carb jetting. If I remember correctly putting pods on the Hawk will give you a bit more top end at the cost of some mid range.

Devaclis
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
lol I top out at 105 right now (+2 rear and -1 front gearing). Not sure I want to go through the expense of dyo tuning the Hawk right now.

rybo
Fri Mar 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The pods were a very popular mod back in the day...I'd guess if you called TK they could easliy get you in the ballpark with jetting without putting it on the dyno, but I understand what you're saying