PDA

View Full Version : little downage

TommyTheKid
Sat Mar 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM
I was riding down to the "timeclock" down in the creek down a trail road on the v-strom, and on the way down the second time, I got sucked into the soft sand a bit and dropped. crashing on grass is nice :p .. broke my hand guard, maybe bent the barend weight bolt thing, but no hurt (only going about 20-30mph).

I wanted to take a photo, but the muffler side was down in the dry grass, so I decided I had better pick it up. ANY tips for riding in soft sand in a trail road, normally for pickup trucks, the track is maybe 8-12" wide.

I am only going to ride dirt from now till the "Neduro" dirt clinic on the 14th so I can try to get familiar with that loosy, squirrly, scaryness ;)

~tommy

Hoopty
Sat Mar 31st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Don't grab the front brake like you would on the street, you'll want to use a lot more rear brake on the dirt. :) When in doubt, gas it out! :D

TommyTheKid
Sat Mar 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
ooh yea, I learned that quickly, also don't let go of the throttle, as the back tire will slide on rapid decelleration which is a bit hair raising when you are not expecting it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tommythekid/RidingAtTheRanch

Don't grab the front brake like you would on the street, you'll want to use a lot more rear brake on the dirt. :) When in doubt, gas it out! :D

Buddau
Sat Mar 31st, 2007, 09:09 PM
I am no expert, but it sounds like if you would have gotten on the gas, like Hoopty said, and also lean way back. This lets the front glide up and over the sand, or loose dirt.
This method pulls me out of tough spots evertime.

pilot
Sat Mar 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Dang T! You're really breaking in that bike. I expect to see you doing the Red Green thing with the 3M Duct tape any time soon. ha.

Chikaleen
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
All bikes are different, thats just something ya need to realize ;)

TommyTheKid
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
I realise taking a DL-650 down a trail road is probably not the best plan. I was just looking for any advice. I have also asked on a v-strom specific forum. Gotta ride it to have fun :)

~tommy

bluedogok
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Just as street habits can bite you in the dirt, dirt bike habits from riding as a kid can make for bad street habits......it gets hard to break them after so long.