PDA

View Full Version : Sweatbands on Master Cylinders

Knuckle Dragger
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Why do some people put covers or sweat bands on their front master cylinders?

~Barn~
Sun Apr 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
There's probably a few reasons other than people thinking it looks cool. One of the better ones I've heard, is that if you have a M.C. leak, it will soak up the fluid, rather than allowing it from dripping down onto paint, where it'll cause some damage. I suppose you still have to notice it.
:dunno:

Canuck
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
The UV rays from the sun break down the brake fluid faster if its not protected. It will turn thick and brown/black in color. So, some people block the sun rays to prevent this.

Canuck
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
I just replace my brake fluids once a year.

Devaclis
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I guess I better put some tape over my sight glass too. Would the manufacturers not make a resevior that blocked UV rays?

I bet, if you ask 50 people who have wristbands on their brake fluid resevior, 40 of them would have no real reason why.

King Nothing
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
I bet, if you ask 50 people who have wristbands on their brake fluid resevior, 40 of them would have no real reason why.Werd. :drink:

rybo
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
...rather than allowing it from dripping down onto paint, where it'll cause some damage.

or hands or other things that could get dangerously slippery if they got some kind of oil all over them while riding....

TurboGizzmo
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Oh i thought it was why girls put hair scrunchies on the stick shifter of a car, cuz it looks purdy.

I asked someone the other day what sweat band was for, they replied "I've seen other do it"

Lurch
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I used to do it while racing then decided maybe I should just fix the leak. Then I thought to myself wouldn't I want to see that I'm about out of fluid before I found out the hard way.

It's a poser thing and completely useless. The moisture in the air that gets inside the reservoir will break down the fluid before UV rays will. JUst change your fluid once a year and you will be fine.

Lurch

TurboGizzmo
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
So i could make some quick cash selling sweatbands with motorcycle logos embroidered on them so people can match it to there bikes or did someone beat me to it?

~Barn~
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
<snip...>or did someone beat me to it?

Clickith (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitem500/1/130/all/1/4445/0/main/itemdetail.aspx)

TurboGizzmo
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Clickith (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitem500/1/130/all/1/4445/0/main/itemdetail.aspx)

Muuu hahaha i knew it, its like those damn seatbelt shoulder pads.....

mikesf4i
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Im showing my age here but back in the day the story was that your brake fluid would get hot and expand and the master cylinder would over flow. The sweat band was to catch the excess and keep it off your paint, tires etc.

Brizz
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
The UV rays from the sun break down the brake fluid faster if its not protected. It will turn thick and brown/black in color. So, some people block the sun rays to prevent this.
I think this is the main reason.

BigE
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Never heard of the UV "reasoning", always people copying racers who used it as a catch for fluid.

txrc51fatboy
Thu Apr 5th, 2007, 12:32 AM
because it looks cool. oh and it adds 5bhp. it is to absorb spilt fluid and also keeps the fluid out of the light.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/txrc51fatboy/100_3065.jpg

Brizz
Thu Apr 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I need a small wrist band for the one for my brake then..Any one have a child size one?

konichd
Thu Apr 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Go to footlocker and buy some Micheal Jordan sweat bands, chicks dig that shit! :) $6 for two

rlarsen
Thu Apr 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I use it because I bleed my brakes frequently (just a habit) and if I get any fluid in the threads of the MC cap, it gets sucked out by the vacuum behind the windscreen at 80+MPH and splatters all over said windscreen.