PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Pads....want the best.

Sparker
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Any input on what to get? I want something good and strong. What are the difference between the ratings?

BenDover
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Check with TFOG. I just bought a set of HBC HH pads from them. I also installed SS lines at the same time and it makes a ton of difference over stock.

You could also go with the race compound pads, but if you aren't racing it's probably overkill.

EliR6
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I did quite a bit of research when I was in the market for pads. I settled on Performance Friction (don't remember which ones, exactly, but I'm pretty sure they were their street compound). Biggest pain with these is that you have to get your rotors bead-blasted to get all the residue from the previous pads off there. The PF pads lay down a thin layer of compound and that's what actually helps the pads brake so well (kind of like semi-metalic, but different compound). In any case, I'm really happy with those. They don't have that initial BITE that the stock Yamaha pads had, but once I got used to that, I liked it way better. The feedback is great and the braking power is VERY linear.

I've heard great things about the EBC HH pads as well, but do NOT get racing pads if you're riding street. From what I understand, they have to be pretty damn hot to stop well, and they don't like water AT ALL.

If you haven't done it already, and you want to see a really noticable difference in your braking, put on SS brake lines. MAN, what a difference that makes!!!

Eli

mikesf4i
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I just put on a set of ebc hh pads last night.I thought I had good brakes. I was able to lock my front wheel at 60 mph whenever I wanted. Like I said "thought" Holy crap what a difference. I have always used only one finger on my brake lever and today just touching the lever was way more braking than I wanted.I am impressed. These pads and the stockers are the only ones I have had on this bike.

NineTwoFour
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I put the Performance Frictions on my bike as well. I think they are the "99" compound.

I am liking them pretty well, taking some time to adjust from the stock pads... as well as doing the SS lines at the same time as the pads.

1000RR
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I was able to lock my front wheel at 60 mph whenever I wanted.

Seems to me that's not very conducive to a long life...

Erik
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I have Performance Friction 95's on my bike. They are excellent once warmed up, but for 80% of the street riding I do, a street compound would have worked better. Oh well, live and learn. BTW, you don't need to have your rotors bead blasted (although it does work very well), I used a Roloc disk (basically scotch-brite on a disk) on a die-grinder and it worked fine. Just make sure you don't use to aggressive a Roloc, otherwise you may end up with gouges in your rotors, not what you want.

Sparker
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
EBC HH pads it is. What do the SS brake lines do to help it so much. just not flex as much?

Quick636
Mon Apr 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I just put some EBC street compound pads on my bike. Overall I am happy... I liked the bite of the stock pads better but overall the EBCs give a better feel.

I also did the Roloc disc surfacing on my rotors and it worked well. I have a brake lathe at work and used that to spin em'. I had mucho problems with the EBC until I put that surface on my rotors.

BenDover
Tue Apr 27th, 2004, 07:01 AM
What do the SS brake lines do to help it so much. just not flex as much?

Yep. The SS lines won't expand when you apply the brakes.
Try squeezing your stock brakes. Once the brake grabs, there is another 1/2" or so of squeeze on the lever. That is the rubber lines expanding.

That doesn't happen with the SS lines. You squeeze the lever and the brakes grab and you squeeze some more and you are doing a stoppie at 60mph. :o :lol: