PDA

View Full Version : trolling

daemon
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
seems to me that many of the riders here won't post about a group ride because of the fear of police trolling the site for possible big ticket days.
is there some way to designate an area where only "integrated" members of CSC can access??
i would give ideas,but the trollers may see this and find a way to infiltrate.

also,how do we know that someone can't hack our private messaging?

Brizz
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
No Comment...oops damn i just commented

Mel
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think a lot of the "open" group rides are posted on here, and there is the long standing morrison Conoco meeting place on saturdays and sundays. A number of people have also been burned by assclowns on rides and therefore no longer post up for open group rides (just create their own group with people they know or trust).
Posting up a meeting location for a group ride isn't going to attract cops trolling...posting up that you are going to be a dipshit and posting your entire route is another story. If you want to get more group rides going, take charge and start throwing it up for other people to join you!

rforsythe
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Every once in a while people post up concerns about cops trolling for group rides, but I've never seen evidence of it happening. People get tickets sometimes, but it's generally on well-travelled routes that are magnets for bikers anyway, not in the back-woods sections. We also have cops who are established CSC members, and we have no problem with that. If you're really concerned, stop breaking the law. :D

As for PM's, the only way anyone besides Bob or myself would have access to them is if they got into your account (or the account of someone you sent them to). As long as your password isn't lame and easy to guess, the chances of that happening are extremely small. If you're discussing anything illegal (if that's your concern) you shouldn't be doing it on this site anyway, and we don't encrypt communications to the site so it could always be sniffed off the wire by law enforcement anyway, with the right warrants.

As for PM's in general I don't personally make a habit of looking at anyone else's messages unless I am told of a situation which requires it, or if it's necessary to troubleshoot a site problem.

That answer your questions?

daemon
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
that 's what i was looking for.
thanks.
i know that i have been dull mindedi n the past with posting up my intended route.
i don't alway's stick to it.
it's not like i think that we as a whole are breaking the law,but there is alway's the chance that someone(law enforcement) will see the post and decide to look for us.

i will always want to post up when i want to get a ride together for the oppurtunity to meet new people on this forum.
just don't want to thave peeps to be afraid to comment when they think they will be caboshed

Every once in a while people post up concerns about cops trolling for group rides, but I've never seen evidence of it happening. People get tickets sometimes, but it's generally on well-travelled routes that are magnets for bikers anyway, not in the back-woods sections. We also have cops who are established CSC members, and we have no problem with that. If you're really concerned, stop breaking the law. :D

As for PM's, the only way anyone besides Bob or myself would have access to them is if they got into your account (or the account of someone you sent them to). As long as your password isn't lame and easy to guess, the chances of that happening are extremely small. If you're discussing anything illegal (if that's your concern) you shouldn't be doing it on this site anyway, and we don't encrypt communications to the site so it could always be sniffed off the wire by law enforcement anyway, with the right warrants.

As for PM's in general I don't personally make a habit of looking at anyone else's messages unless I am told of a situation which requires it, or if it's necessary to troubleshoot a site problem.

Raptor
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Forgive the dumb question but I was curious, if all riders in a group are being respecful of the law for the most part, why would cops troll and case out a group ride? I guess what I mean is, will they just get all ticket happy over every little thing (race-core exhaust, tinted helmet visors, clear lens indicators etc..) if they find us or are they just looking for people riding the streets as if they were the track?

G.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Like I said, I don't know of any cases of cops trolling and casing a group ride. That said, if they see people acting like idiots they will pounce. Generally unless you get some guy with a lot of pent up angst they don't care about the rest of that stuff if you are otherwise riding in control and safely.

Raptor
Mon Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Like I said, I don't know of any cases of cops trolling and casing a group ride. That said, if they see people acting like idiots they will pounce. Generally unless you get some guy with a lot of pent up angst they don't care about the rest of that stuff if you are otherwise riding in control and safely.

Thanks, rforsythe. That's what I figured. Being that the case, I have nothing to worry about then.

g.

AshliRider44
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

So in other words, get that person's email address if you dont want someone reading your messages :D

rforsythe
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
So in other words, get that person's email address if you dont want someone reading your messages :D

Even then it's no guarantee... Some ISP could capture your traffic at any time, and who knows what hotmail/yahoo/gmail do with your messages. My only point was, I don't make a habit of reading PM's, but I can't say for sure I'd never see the message at some point if I had to get into the database for some reason.

If you really want to keep it secret, use encrypted email. Then the only people who will see it work for the NSA, and they usually don't waste their time decrypting email from people who are just trying to clandestinely plan high speed romps down the highway. ;)

InlineSIX24
Wed Apr 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I think the cops mainly stick to the street racing forums. They have a good time w/ those.