PDA

View Full Version : Pick My Next Jetting Setup

JustSomeDude
Fri Apr 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ok, so I've been through 4 setups with my carbs, and still can't find the right one. I'm now open to any and all suggestions. The bike is a 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R. Here are the 4 setups I have done with their relative subjective performance...

Setup #1) Overall rating: D- (terrible)
Size #144 DynoJets on all 4 carbs
Needle clip set at 3rd notch FROM TOP
Pilot screws set at 2, 2.5, 2.5, 2
- Terrible low end hesitation off idle

Setup #2) Overall rating: C+ (below-average)
Size #144 DynoJets on all 4 carbs
Needle clip set at 4th notch FROM TOP
Pilot screws set at 1.5, 2, 2, 1.5
- Low end hesitation improved - but still noticable

Setup #3) Overall rating: B (good - but something still not right)
DynoJets set at #140, #144, #144, #140
Needle clip set at 4th notch FROM TOP
Pilot screws set at 1.25, 1.75, 1.75, 1.25
- Low end hesitation almost gone - minor stutters still noticed

Setup #4) Overall rating: C- (bad)
DynoJet set at #140, #144, #144, #140
Set DynoJets back to 3rd notch FROM TOP
Pilot screws set at 1.25, 1.5, 1.5, 1.25
- Bad low end hesitation returned

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, apparently the 4th notch from the top is closer to where I need to be, so I will correct that tomorrow (basically - back to setup #3). However, I still don't know how to eliminate the small stutters I still experiece with that setup. Shall I turn the pilot screws out further? Or even go down to 5th notch from the top???

I'm open to suggestions.

Mel
Fri Apr 13th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Take it to a shop (TFOG, or TK) and have them throw it on a Dyno and check your mixture. Save yourself the headache.

rforsythe
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
+1. Dyno rejetting is the only way to go! :up:

JustSomeDude
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
YEAH! solved it. went back to the 4th notch (from the top), and cranked out my idle screws a half turn across the board - problem solved!!

:)

pilot
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM
YEAH! solved it. went back to the 4th notch (from the top), and cranked out my idle screws a half turn across the board - problem solved!!

:)I, for one, would like to say, "Good job!" You're taking on this task with bravado. Yes, I'm glad the guys are at the shop ready and willing to fix it right for us. But you didn't give up. You asked for help and verbalized your thoughts in doing so. This may have helped you find your solution.

Good 'ol trial and error along with a bit of note taking paid off.