PDA

View Full Version : Help starting GSF600

Bandit
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Tried starting my bike after 3 weeks of not running sitting outside. Turns over fine, but won't fire, even with starting fluid in the air intake. Has gas, took the tank off, gas comes out when I have it on primary (steady stream). Spark plug wires all fire .... Any ideas appreciated .... Thanks

Spiderman
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hmm, I'd have been inclined to say bad gas, but if it's not firing with starter fluid, then it might be your stator. Check to see if your plugs are actually getting power: Take a spark plug wire off a plug, stick a screwdriver into it so it makes contact to the metal sleeve (between the rubber and the sleeve wil help hold it in place), then put the shaft of the screwdriver near something grounded and hit the starter button. If there's a spark, and you get a shock (and get knocked onto your ass :lol: ), then you're getting power, if not, then your stator may be faulty.

I'm no expert, and even though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, you may want to wait for other people's input. ;)

Good luck. 8)

Bandit
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
It has power to the spark plugs. Pulling them out now.

Air cleaner is completey clean ... There is vaccum to the fuel valve under the tank...

Mel
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
remove and clean up the spark plugs (or buy a new set), they may be fouled.

Bandit
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
they were fouled ... tried cleaning them but no dice

Bandit
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Put new spark plugs in, fired up right away. Thanks Mel, owe you a beer :) Dont know why I am skittish about working on bikes ... used to be a muscle car junkie, was a decent wrench.

Mel
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM
lol, bikes are a slightly different beast, but they all still require fuel and spark ;)

rybo
Sat Apr 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM
And they are VERY sensitive to bad plugs. I've had very little luck "cleaning" spark plugs for bikes. Always better just to replace them.

Nice job, glad you got it running!

Bandit
Sun Apr 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah a car would have run after cleaning them ....

Glad it runs also :)