PDA

View Full Version : Question to Admin's/Mods/Members on "rules and riding signals"

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
For the most part, from what I've seen, riders tend to point out danger/a problem, i.e. sand, debris, loose pair of false teeth, pothole, etc., with the nearest foot.

Personally, I find it kind of hard to take my hand off the throttle to point out a problem on the right side of the bike. The Rules and Signals section suggests using the "nearest hand".

Should this be changed? (It was brought up to me by a rider on a recent weekend ride)

Thanks, in advance--to all, for your input.

Currently on the CSC site on [Rules and Signals] "Danger = Dangerous obstacle in road = Point to the obstacle with the nearest hand"

Recommend this be amended to: Danger = "Dangerous obstacle in road = Point to the obstacle with the nearest foot WHEN safe to do so"

Devaclis
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Agreed.

We also need a signal for "I am freezing please pull over!!"

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Agreed.

We also need a signal for "I am freezing please pull over!!"As a former professional SCUBA diver we were taught to us the British Method to warm ourselves. However, I don't think that taking a leak :shocked: in one's leathers would do much to warm you up!

rybo
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Agreed.

We also need a signal for "I am freezing please pull over!!"

I know that one now, but it's difficult to articulate in words. I'll be happy to demonstrate it at some point on a group ride. If I'm not there there is one other member (the actual creator of this signal) who can demonstrate it.

Devaclis
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
We were speaking yesterday and think there should also be a signal for the po -po's based on how far away they are.

Saw a signal yesterday and the police were more than 5 miles away.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I don't tend to point out debris in the road, unless it is really out of place. After awhile I think it just becomes more of a distraction than anything, to the parties involved. What? Are we not concentrating and aware when we're riding? :dunno:

Anyway... I think 9 times out of 10, if there is gravel on the road in spot #1, there's going to be sand in spots #14, 49, 800, etc.
Same thing with ice or snowy patches, or melted water.

Unless it's a dedicated "this is my first canyon ride" for somebody, I give credit to my fellow riders to know the potential hazards that are gonna be out there, and be on the lookout for them. Not to mention I prefer to keep my hand/foot controls in place while riding.

The only things that I'll make a point of, are the "I see a cop" signal, and the "whoa-whoa.... Slowdown!" signal, if say I see animals on the side of the road, or panic braking, or a crash up ahead of me.

Mel
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I kind of agree with Barn on the whole pointing out of debris...I hate seeing someone signaling for debris, slowing down and prepping for the road to be anhilated and seeing sand to the other side of the white line, WTF people. :lol:

Also, while there are some suggested common hand signals on the CSC ride site, the CSC doesn't take responsibility or sanction the rides themselves, so appropiate hand signals and communication are the responsibility of the ride leader IMO.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Also, while there are some suggested common hand signals on the CSC ride site, the CSC doesn't take responsibility or sanction the rides themselves, so appropiate hand signals and communication are the responsibility of the ride leader IMO.

True, though our suggestions are there for a reason. ;)

I agree with pilot's logic, though I will alter his wording. Sometimes a foot isn't as practical, just as a hand doesn't always work. Maybe we'll change it to something along the lines of "wave whatever appendage you feel will bring attention to the road condition in the safest manner possible"...

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I agree with pilot's logic, though I will alter his wording. Sometimes a foot isn't as practical, just as a hand doesn't always work. Maybe we'll change it to something along the lines of "wave whatever appendage you feel will bring attention to the road condition in the safest manner possible"...
Appendage??? Oh man, this aught to bring out some corny jokes.

Mel
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Yeah, but if people start trying to wave appendages, no one is ever gonna see anything.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah, but if people start trying to wave appendages, no one is ever gonna see anything.

Depends on who's waving it. :eyebrows:

DevilsTonic
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
My http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/yzfr1grl/Smileys/zz2cents.gif ... Only signal a road condition when it's safe to do so.

A few weeks back I hit a patch of sand, while trying to signal to riders behind me of the hazard. I ended up on the wrong side of the road because of it.

In that case it would've been better of me just to watch my line and worry about the hazard for myself rather than those behind me.

Mel
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Depends on who's waving it. :eyebrows:

:harrrrr:

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
My http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/yzfr1grl/Smileys/zz2cents.gif ... Only signal a road condition when it's safe to do so.

A few weeks back I hit a patch of sand, while trying to signal to riders behind me of the hazard. I ended up on the wrong side of the road because of it.

In that case it would've been better of me just to watch my line and worry about the hazard for myself rather than those behind me.Good point. If one can't do it with some reason of safety, then don't do it at all. I think I spend too much time worrying about the "other" riders in the group when I should be concentrating on my turn-in point.

Mel
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Good point. If one can't do it with some reason of safety, then don't do it at all.

That especially comes into play when riding with newer or less confident group riders...newer riders tend to learn by example and do what those around them do, however I have seen several riders lose focus, balance, and control when trying too hard to point at something just because everyone else did.

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I, for one, am guilty of telling people "how good the conditions are". I am also the one that sucks them down a twisty only for them to find they have to ride out on three miles of dirt road that I ride away on like it's a YZF underfoot. Hell, I crossed over Echo Lake/Mt. Evans in the first week of March when the roads were covered with ice. I think I feel a bit guilty about taking folks down sand encrusted roads that only have 1 foot wide clear path in a tight/blind turn~~going downhill.

Maybe that is why I drag my foot through the sand. Or is it because I'm trying to throw up a dust storm behind me...

Nick_Ninja
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I, for one, am guilty of telling people "how good the conditions are". I am also the one that sucks them down a twisty only for them to find they have to ride out on three miles of dirt road that I ride away on like it's a YZF underfoot. Hell, I crossed over Echo Lake/Mt. Evans in the first week of March when the roads were covered with ice. I think I feel a bit guilty about taking folks down sand encrusted roads that only have 1 foot wide clear path in a tight/blind turn~~going downhill.

Maybe that is why I drag my foot through the sand. Or is it because I'm trying to throw up a dust storm behind me...

A real 'Leader of the Pack' :lol: Are you at the wearbars on the soles of your boots yet?

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM
A real 'Leader of the Pack' :lol: Are you at the wearbars on the soles of your boots yet?I rip of chunks and toss em at the guy behind me. Anything for a win... Just like tossing a Coke can out the window at NASCAR.

FZRguy
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Note to self: Ignore Pilot’s foot pointing, appendage waving, and boot dragging. :lol:

happykat@cox.net
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 04:27 AM
just call me Sandy

Spiderman
Fri May 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
How's this: Point to the obstacle with the nearest hand or foot, but only if you can do so safely (without putting yourself at risk)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/club/rules.html

Sortarican
Fri May 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
We were speaking yesterday and think there should also be a signal for the po -po's based on how far away they are.

Saw a signal yesterday and the police were more than 5 miles away.

Amen,
I've started to tap the lid....hold up fingers up for # of miles.(Like in baseball, index, index-pinky, pinky-ring-middle, all 4)
(Though 1 mile they think you're going "You're #1" and ride faster, and 2 miles you get a "Rock On" sign back)

Nick_Ninja
Fri May 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Amen,
I've started to tap the lid....hold up fingers up for # of miles.(Like in baseball, index, index-pinky, pinky-ring-middle, all 4)
(Though 1 mile they think you're going "You're #1" and ride faster, and 2 miles you get a "Rock On" sign back)

And three they think you're a Boy Scout. :D

Bueller
Fri May 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I, for one get tired of the people in front of me pointing to every pebble in the road, generally it makes them slow down and loose concentration on the road ahead of them. If something is a hidden, eminent danger then by all means point it out, but if it is another in a long succession of sand patches just ride around it and keep focused, we have all come upon these without someone in front of us to point it out and lived to ride another day.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri May 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'm with Bueller on this one.

leviathin
Sat May 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
we were on a ride the other day and there were some fallen rocks on the road just smaller then my gas tank, on the inside of a blind corner, i saw them the second the lead bike corrected his line, we both pointed with our feet and i imagine the others behind us did as well. i feel that a good rider can multi-task enough to point out debris in the road. i point out debris in the road because those are my friends behind me, and i dont want them to get hurt, and i think we all know people who get lost in there own little words from time to time. and while my foot is the preferred choice for pointing out debris, i have used my hands every now and then when i needed to.

pilot
Sat May 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM
we were on a ride the other day and there were some fallen rocks on the road just smaller then my gas tank, on the inside of a blind corner, i saw them the second the lead bike corrected his line, we both pointed with our feet and i imagine the others behind us did as well. i feel that a good rider can multi-task enough to point out debris in the road. i point out debris in the road because those are my friends behind me, and i dont want them to get hurt, and i think we all know people who get lost in there own little words from time to time. and while my foot is the preferred choice for pointing out debris, i have used my hands every now and then when i needed to.Perhaps not every pebble, like Bueller said, but I'm a "plus one" with Ken on this. Friends don't come cheap.

Managers:

Thanks for updating the signals section on the site:

Signals:
Transmit these signals to the rider/car behind you when appropriate.
Meaning Usage Hand Signal Left turn Mostly for lane changes - not intended to replace turn signals Left arm straight out beside you (palm open & facing forward), or angled downward to where you are going Right turn Mostly for lane changes - not intended to replace turn signals Left arm out beside you, bent with forearm & hand up (palm open & facing forward) Slow down/
Stop/
Don't pass Mostly for unexpected stops, also to indicate it is unsafe for riders behind you to pass car(s) between them & you Left arm out beside you, bent with forearm & hand down (palm open & facing back) Police ahead For oncoming riders and riders behind you, warning them to check their speed Pat your head with your left hand (this is the signal we use).
Some riders do an up & down motion their left hand out at waist level, palm down (like they're dribbling a basketball). Danger Dangerous obstacle in road (sand, gravel, pothole, oil slick) Point to the obstacle with the nearest hand or foot, but only if you can do so safely (without putting yourself at risk) Gun it to indicate it is safe for riders behind you to pass car(s) between them & you Up & down motion with left arm out beside you, forearm & fist up (like a trucker pulling his air-horn cord) Back (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/../club/rules.html#)