PDA

View Full Version : chain lube

Frito Bandito
Sat May 1st, 2004, 06:44 AM
Anyone know of a good chain lube to use? Dont really like using wax.

towneh
Sat May 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM
hi frito_b,
please tell me why you don't like wax-based lubes for chains. the wax doesn't fling-off and is better on the "O" rings.
-my .02-
henry

Frito Bandito
Sat May 1st, 2004, 07:26 AM
Just dont like the way it seems to gum up I guess. I think that would atract dirt. Would teflon based be a good lube? Looking for something that would not fling too much and would last a while

BenDover
Sat May 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
:roll:

:idea: Why don't you ask what kind of oil (dino v. synth.; MC v. Auto), and what octane we like better.

The 3 questions that shouldn't be allowed in public discussion anymore, basically because we love to disagree. :twisted:

Quick636
Sat May 1st, 2004, 08:44 AM
Honestly, I don't think it matters what kind of lube you use. As long as you do it in regular intervals and fairly often you will be fine.

Personally, I like the way because it doesn't fling off. Every other time I wax the chain I just clean off the dirt.

Sat May 1st, 2004, 10:28 AM
The teflon stuff from Honda is my personal favorite. I clean it with a solvent, then use the Honda stuff. I agree that most chain lubes (including wax) are way too sticky. They pick up all that crap and become abrasives rather than lubricants. I think keeping the chain clean is essential to longevity.

Frito Bandito
Sat May 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks 309 I will head to the shop and see if I can pick up the honda teflon lube.

NZ Darren
Sat May 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
My personal fav is Bel ray, it goes on white so you can see where you have sprayed. Never flung off for me, and I go crazy with the spray :D

Gramps
Sat May 1st, 2004, 09:32 PM
where do you get bel ray?

NZ Darren
Sat May 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM
I bought it from the store in castlerock, I forget the name.....

A can will last you ages

Airreed
Sat May 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM
I agree, everyone has their own favorite....mines WD-40 (j/k),
I clean my chain with kerosane then use the stuff from Bel-Ray..

Try Performance they tend to have 4-5 types and always have good pricese too.

Airreed
Jason

Mista Black
Mon May 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
shaft drive... all i gotta say.