PDA

View Full Version : For Honda Interceptor Fans

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Figured this was the best place to post this since we don't have model-specific categories...

The May issue of Motorcyclist has an article on the history of the Honda Interceptor. Someone scanned it and posted it on the VFR discussion forum:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31198&st=0

Scroll down to post #42.

How many Interceptor owners do we have in the CSC?

Dirk

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Rick, who joins us on occasional rides, has a fine looking red 800. Always sharp and he has done some fine upgrades. He and the bike ride very smoothly together.

Toner
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
This Guy! :up:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/csc_viewmember.php?u=2715

rybo
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm a former VFR750F owner. Mine was a 1994 and decked out for commuting with Givi hard bags and a plug in port for my heated jacket. Rode it 27K in a single year. Should have kept it.

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Cool. My first bike was a 1984 VF500F that I bought new and I'm currently restoring it. It will be fun to take some laps around IMI with that one. It has the quickest steering of any street bike I've ever ridden. I love riding it.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vf500f.jpg

My prized possession is the 1985 VF1000R. There was no way I could afford one back then (over three times the price of my 500) but that was the bike of my dreams. Finally got one a few years later:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vf1000r.jpg

I took it out to IMI a few weeks back and as big and heavy as it is, it was surprisingly quick on that tight track. But it's really at home in high speed sweepers, very, very stable at speed. It's deceptively fast. I find myself at times going much faster than I think I'm going. Lots of high tech stuff in that bike for the time like radial rear tire, slipper clutch and gear driven cams.

I recently bought a 25th anniversary edition Interceptor:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/rwb2007.jpg

It is extremely comfortable (especially compared to the VF1000R) and quite capable in the twisties. If I could only have one bike, it would be that one. With that 180 degree crank, it has a very distinctive exhaust note.

I am slowly working on the collection. I'd like to have one of each of the first generation Interceptors (still need the original VF750F and the VF1000F) and the second generation VFR750F.

Dirk

Toner
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Dirk- Finally got a chance to read through that article, good stuff! Thanks for posting. It would be nice to have more viffers at rides, hopefully i'll see meet you this summer!

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Dirk- Finally got a chance to read through that article, good stuff! Thanks for posting. It would be nice to have more viffers at rides, hopefully i'll see meet you this summer!

Judging by the VFR forum, there are a few of us in these parts. I'll be going on the big CSC ride May 13. If you're not going to make that, I'm sure I'll be looking to do some rides down your way this summer.

Dirk

chadincolo
Wed Apr 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I've got one, 95, red with Two Bros. exhaust...love that thing, perfect commuting bike. :)

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I've got one, 95, red with Two Bros. exhaust...love that thing, perfect commuting bike. :)

Yeah, I mainly got my 07 for that purpose.

Dirk

chadincolo
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I like those new anniversary colors. :) I'm needing new tires on my VFR, need to talk to Jim over at TFOG and see what he recommends, looks like I'm going to get about 3500 miles out of a set of Metzler M1's...not too impressed with that...:(

rybo
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Try the Z6....not as sticky as the M1 but a great all around tire with good life.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah the Z6 and the Diablo Strada seem to be pretty popular among the high mileage crowd. Lots of chatter on the Pilot Road 2CT but they won't arrive here until September-ish. I've heard good things about them from a few riders Down Under who have them. Here's a Michelin press kit on them (PDF file):

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/actualit...Rubrique=CP_ENG

Dirk

rybo
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah the Z6 and the Diablo Strada seem to be pretty popular among the high mileage crowd.

If I'm not mistaken....they are darn near the same tire with a different tread pattern on them. Metzeller and Pirelli have been merged for some time and have several "identical" models with different names on them.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken....they are darn near the same tire with a different tread pattern on them. Metzeller and Pirelli have been merged for some time and have several "identical" models with different names on them.

Yes, that is my understanding too.

Dirk

Banshee
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Dirk, if you get a chance can you take a few snapshots of the suspension setup of that single-side swingarm? I'm planning to retrofit one from a VFR onto a project bike, but want to make sure I get the geometry correct. Thanks a million.

-Tim

VFR
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have one around here somewhere

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Dirk, if you get a chance can you take a few snapshots of the suspension setup of that single-side swingarm? I'm planning to retrofit one from a VFR onto a project bike, but want to make sure I get the geometry correct. Thanks a million.

What shots are you looking for exactly?

Dirk

Toner
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Banshee-

Not sure what gen VFR you are looking for, but I'll have mine at the next bike night in SoCo if you want to bring a camera.

Banshee
Mon May 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry guys, haven't checked this post in a while. There is a triangular piece that connects the shock to the swingarm, I'm trying to figure out where/how to mount the third hole. Want to make sure I get all of the angles and geometry correct.

Not sure what year it is off of, but it is single-sided with I think a 180 or 190mm tire. If I remember correctly those were the later-model VFR's?????

dirkterrell
Mon May 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Not sure what year it is off of, but it is single-sided with I think a 180 or 190mm tire. If I remember correctly those were the later-model VFR's?????

The 6th gen bikes (2002-on) have a 180 on the rear for sure. I see the triangular piece that I think you are talking about. I'll have to wait until the wife gets home with the camera to snap a pic though.

Dirk

Dysco
Tue May 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for the link. I'm having more and more trouble walking away from the VFRs in showrooms. :hump:

VFR
Fri May 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM
The best way to distinguish the oldfrom the new is from 02+ all have undertail exhaust

dirkterrell
Wed May 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Banshee, is this the piece your talking about. Kinda hard to photograph that area with all the plumbing there.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vfr_rear_linkage.jpg

Banshee
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yup, that's the spot. I think I can figure it out from there. Thanks a million!
-Tim

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yup, that's the spot. I think I can figure it out from there. Thanks a million!

You bet. Keep us posted on the progress of the project bike. :)

Dirk

puckstr
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Yep I got one too:hump:

86 VFR700F

11k miles All Stock...for now. I will be going to -1 tooth front and +1 tooht rear. I will also be changing the exhaust to 4 to 1 (Laser).

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yep I got one too:hump:
86 VFR700F

Very nice. Let me know if you ever want to sell. :)

Dirk

puckstr
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Very nice. Let me know if you ever want to sell. :)

Dirk

Thanks

I am ALL about your VF1000R let ME know if you sell it!!!