PDA

View Full Version : What's With all the Friggin' Sand?

JustSomeDude
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I went on a few rides during the warm spell back in March, and it seems the sand this past weekend was far worse then it was in March. Is this the result of a recent pour? Was there a pre-emptive strike by CoDOT to hit the roads ahead of the "major storm" we were supposed to get last Friday (the 13th)?

On Sunday (the 15th) I rode out of Morrison up into Evergreen, past Echo Lake (the Mt. Evans run). And while the canyon out of Morrison wasn't too bad, the Echo Lake road was ATTROCIOUS! More sand than Pebble Friggin Beach! I've also read similar reports from other ride routes this past weekend.

What gives??

pilot
Mon Apr 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The sand on Echo was heavy when I rode it at the start of March. The roads running east/west were especially heavy on the south side (eastbound lanes). There was still runs that had 200-300 feet of ice covering the road and it was heavily embeded with sand.

JustSomeDude
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Just heard on the morning news... CDOT is in the foothills placing sand on slick roads! YIPPEEEE!!

friggin' springtime in the rockies.

:banghead:

firegixx600
Thu Apr 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
i went up to cripple creek today and there was lots of sand if you weren't riding in 1 or 3, i had to go kinda slow....:shocked: