PDA

View Full Version : Project bike

Frauenheld
Sat May 1st, 2004, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone, I just picked up a Yamaha? Maxim from buddy for $20. Actually in decent shape, but carbs, seat, and tank are awol. Some new wiring is needed also, but I am just gonna toss it in the trailer and take it back to NH with me for the summer.

Any thoughts?
Thx,
Jay

wulf
Sun May 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
sounds like fun. check steele's salvage (sante fe and union) before you leave for the missing parts

Frauenheld
Sun May 2nd, 2004, 08:41 PM
SO it is an '85 or '86 Yamaha XJ700XN(C) or XJ700XS(C).
FOund the carbs today :D
Pictures to come....

Frauenheld
Mon May 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
So I'm told this bike is the Jap version, a response from Yamaha to some embargo. Any of you old timers know anything of this or am i getting fed a line of BS? I still can't pin down the exact model, even with looking over other Yamaha bikes from the time period.
Might be on to a unique little toy here....... The seller is looking for title as we speak.

Also, it's amazing what you can find in a frat house basement. After wandering through much unidentifiable CRAP I found a prestine set of lugagge for the, and inside were all the covers, grips, hoses, and other odds and ends that came off the bike. So now all I need is to get or make a seat and to get a gas tank. Might have to improvise if the bike really is a foriegn model.

lifeon2
Mon May 3rd, 2004, 09:57 PM
I have some bits and pieces from an 81 xj650 if they might fit your bike I have the tank (no lid) and a seat along with other odd bits drop me an e-mail or a pm and we can work something out I'm sure

Mr. Turbo
Mon May 3rd, 2004, 11:23 PM
If you have the frame number, you should be able to find out the exact model type from yamaha's parts catalog. It looks like the 86' xj700xs starts with 1NW and the '85 Xj700xn starts 1AA. As for being imported, a US model would have a VIN code on it where as many foreign countries simply use the frame #. The mounting setup for the tank looks the same as on my xj650Lj, but the tank looks much smaller. Steele's would definetly have something that'd work, dunno how much they'll charge. I'm up in Boulder BTW..

onef
Tue May 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
So I'm told this bike is the Jap version, a
response from Yamaha to some embargo. Any of you old timers know
anything of this or am i getting fed a line of BS? ....

From what I can remember, Harley Davidson lobbied to have passed
an embargo/tax levy of all motorcylcles of 750cc and up imported. It
only lasted about two or three years. That is why you see 750s then a
series of 700s then the 750s again.

Anonymous
Tue May 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
A little off topic, but if any of you have parts for a Yamy XS750 please let me know. I have a 76 and a 78-Special in restoration... Need some things.