PDA

View Full Version : Need a new rear tire or not?

Slo
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Just wondering if I will need a new tire or not, it's a stock bt014 for a gsxr1000. I know it looks a little ratty on the edges but the bike hasn't done anything different while riding at IMI. Just curious to other peoples input on whether this rear tire has 1 or 2 more days at IMI left in it.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5546/dsc02446vv4.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5276/tirenn4.jpg

pauliep
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM
damn

Knuckle Dragger
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Just curious what causes that "rattness" on the side of the tire?

Mel
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
If you have any doubts about your tire, it is probably better to go ahead and get something else on there...the last thing you want to be doing on a track is wondering if your tire is gonna fail you. Additionally, it isn't always the tread or look of the tire so much as it is the heat cycles and possible deterioration that you can't see.

Slo
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Just curious what causes that "rattness" on the side of the tire?

IMI, local small track.

pauliep
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
IMI, local small track.

Have you guys took down any lap times yet? Old and new?

Slo
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
If you have any doubts about your tire, it is probably better to go ahead and get something else on there...the last thing you want to be doing on a track is wondering if your tire is gonna fail you. Additionally, it isn't always the tread or look of the tire so much as it is the heat cycles and possible deterioration that you can't see.

Thanks.... errrr beotch. ;)

I was hoping for someone to say another day or two at IMI was going to be ok but your right.....

Slo
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Have you guys took down any lap times yet? Old and new?

Not too sure yet, I tried watching some of the video from later in the day and it seemed like I was running about 1m 10s but I could be completely wrong since I'm just going by recordings/video and trying to gauge the same spot on the track each time I go by. I could probably look back at another video form a couple weeks ago and see how it was then. But each time we go out there, we can tell a huge improvement.

I still have many things to work on out there.

pauliep
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
how does adam like his rearsets (he got those valter moto's, right)? looks like you guys are doing great out there compared to that one day me and adam went down.

Slo
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM
He likes them, still getting used to the different foot positioning. He got them pretty quickly too, just had to pay for the overnight shipping.

Thanks P, looking forward to seeing you back out there too.....

UglyDogRacing
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
your tire is well into the wear bars. replacing it would probably be more cost effective than replacing your bodywork if you do go ride on it again

CoronaKOK
Tue Apr 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM
your tire is well into the wear bars. replacing it would probably be more cost effective than replacing your bodywork if you do go ride on it again

Agree! They are fine for a cummuting tire though.

Slo
Thu Apr 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
So I'm getting some pilot powers from TFOG on Saturday woohoo....

Clearer pics kept making me wonder so I'm just going to get new ones.

PsychoMike
Thu Apr 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
my tires got the same way from IMI, it was just after a cart race and we were picking up old cart rubber. the tires may be fine.