PDA

View Full Version : Talemina Scenic Drive

firegixx600
Thu Apr 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know if any of ya'll have heard of it, but the ride is to Mena Arkansas (SW). I am an Oklahoma native and have made the trip many times. I am planning on late summer possibly early fall for a trip. Meeting at least 5 or 6 others in Oklahoma on the way, probably stay there for the night. If anyone is interested let me know!

http://http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/

This pic is at Robber's Cave off of Hwy 2
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/wise400exco/robbersbikes.jpg

bluedogok
Thu Apr 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I grew up in OKC with Snowman, that is a nice area and road. I do prefer NWA a little more than Talimena. I know quite a few from down here that head up to both areas pretty frequently.

Pretty much always a good trip, if you break down just look for the cross-dressing motorcycle mechanic near Mena :shocked:
Several have said he does pretty good work.

firegixx600
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Great to meet some more Okies! I'm from Edmond myself. My grandpa lives 10mi East of Mena so that's why I go that route. I have taken HWY2 down from 9 our of Checotah and Eufala and I like that better

sfarson
Sat Apr 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
It is a sweet ride, as is much of eastern OK, and of course NW ARK.

http://www.farson.com/ducati/stoktal2.jpg

FZRguy
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I’m from Tulsa and have ridden Talimena…on a bicycle.

pilot
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Danged be it all brother! I got relatives all over that country. My cousin, near Mena, just turned 101. Rode twice to OK/Arkyville on my GS750. Always try and stay the night in Amarillo, TX as there are some kick butt strip joints there. The Big Texan eatery and hotels are just around the corner.

A quick trip down to Shreveport Louisiana makes for some great river boat gaming.

Any of the roads n/w/s of Hot Springs, AR are good for riding. Nice and muggy too.

riverock
Wed May 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
just got back from Hot Springs Village playing golf. I have GOT to get a bike out there.

firegixx600
Sun May 13th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I'm leaning towards late Aug. for this trip. It's gonna be hot down that way until late Sept. anyway, plus I'll be starting school again. I'll say maybe the weekend of the 12th and 13th? Maybe leave out early the 12th and come back the 14th? I wouldn't be opposed to taking the 11th off as well. If there isn't a bunch of people going, my Granpa has plenty of room at his house for people to crash(8-10 people). I will be picking up AT LEAST 5 or 6 in OKC on the way down. If anyone is interested, let me know what you would be able to do cuz i'd like to get it all planned out

pilot
Sun May 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
just got back from Hot Springs Village playing golf. I have GOT to get a bike out there.HSV! Hell, my folks retired there for 12 years (now in Lost Wages). I loved that place: Golf, fishing, boating, etc. Twisties in the Village (just don't get busted by the granny patrol, ha). You can buy a lot/house there for cheap and then play golf on the cheap. What, something like 6 lakes and 8 golf courses in a place the size of maybe twice Highlands Ranch. This place is a jewel hidden in the Southern Ozarks.

I'm leaning towards late Aug. for this trip. It's gonna be hot down that way until late Sept. anyway, plus I'll be starting school again. I'll say maybe the weekend of the 12th and 13th? Maybe leave out early the 12th and come back the 14th? I wouldn't be opposed to taking the 11th off as well. If there isn't a bunch of people going, my Granpa has plenty of room at his house for people to crash(8-10 people). I will be picking up AT LEAST 5 or 6 in OKC on the way down. If anyone is interested, let me know what you would be able to do cuz i'd like to get it all planned out Cripes~! It ain't the heat man, it's the humidity! Try 105 temps with 80 % humidity. For those that aren't use to it they will fall off their ride in turn two. But man, I love it. Nothing like sweating the night out having a mint julip and watching a little OTB (sp?) at the race track in Hot Springs. Just watch out for the girl :shocked:walking along the lakefront at midnight:hump:. I dunno what's more fun, Bass fishin' in Lake Catherine or ass fishin' in Lost Wages? Sounds like a good ride, for sure.

bluedogok
Sun May 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I know what you mean about the heat, I have officially started my "READY TO MOVE TO COLORADO" season today. I was out pulling the plastic off the Sprint to figure out what pieces that I need to order and it was 92, although it was a low humidity day (40-50%) it is still more than I like.

It may actually be less humid in August than right now, Oklahoma and Arkansas has been getting soaked the past month to the point of flooding. In August it may be a bit drier.

DeeStylez
Sun May 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Family In Muskogee, OK about an hour from Tulsa. I visit a few times a year. Keep me posted on good riding areas because I will be taking my bike down there this summer.

firegixx600
Mon May 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I lived in OKC all my life so the humid weather and heat is norm for me. I will admit that after only 10mo here in the springs I am already spoiled:hump:
I'll keep ya'll posted on any changes

bluedogok
Mon May 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I lived 37 of my 43 years in OKC, 2 in Dallas (91-93) and the last 4 here in Austin, so I am used to the heat/humidity. It is just since I am older I have become less tolerant to the heat, when we were up there last August it was 100/11% but it felt like a cool front compared to the 105/60% here.

firegixx600
Wed May 30th, 2007, 07:42 AM
In case anyone wants to go on this ride a little earlier, I plan on making the trip in mid july as well...won't be as many people as the august trip, but I'm going to fish for a couple days so if anyone is interested....