PDA

View Full Version : 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

Pages : [1] 2

rforsythe
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
This is the deal - I was up flying today in the mountains, going down to Taos NM over La Veta Pass and by Alamosa, and then back to Centennial Airport via the town of Creede, then Westcliffe, and up behind Pikes Peak. I've never spent any time in the SW part of the state, but I have to tell you some of the areas I flew over today were absolutely amazing, and look like some sweet roads for a planned trip.

I'd like to do some kind of multi-day ride down there late-Juneish with a small group. This is not a ride for newbies, will involve a LOT of miles, and you better be prepared for varying weather; it's late June, which means sunshine, thunderstorms, and anything else that one might find in the altitude range from 6-14k feet. Because of the distance, this just isn't something that can be covered in one day or easily bailed on if you find you don't like it halfway through. You'll know after reading that if this is the ride for you. ;)

So if this sounds like something you're interested in, post up for the first CSC multi-day Southwest Colorado (SoWeCo) ride! Looking for ideas on routes, as well as some small establishment we can take over for a night.

Bueller
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
You gonna do it on the DR?

rforsythe
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
You gonna do it on the DR?

Yup!

mtnairlover
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Shuweeeet!

I'm gonna put this down on a list of wishes I've going for my summer off. I've been down to SWCO and NWNM and absolutely love those areas...so much scenery and beauty and yeah those roads would be fun on a bike.

Ok then..."things to do"...1. trip through swco, 2. overnighter with a few pals, 3. ? Man, I love summer!!!!

Edit: This is NOT a "for sure", but a definite consideration for me.

pilot
Fri Apr 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Just rolled in from the Cortez area. Yes, there are a lot of good roads and sand was nearly none-existent.

mtnairlover
Mon May 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Need more details:

number of peeps going - we can do a cabin and split costs
choice of place to base out of (Durango? Pagosa Springs? other suggestion?)
datesI'm starting to think this may be doable. It's at least one thing I would like to do this summer.:)

Sortarican
Mon May 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Suggestions:
160 Pegosa - Durango or 550 Montrose - Durango (Red Mountain Pass)
160/184 Durango - Delores (Delores river)
145/62 Delores - Ridgeway (Telluride Valley)

mtnairlover
Mon May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Welp, there's the San Juan Skyway scenic drive http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/skyway.html
Then there's the Enchanted Circle drive in NM if basing out of Pagosa Springs http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2082/travel.html

So many choices...

Sortarican
Mon May 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
....Then there's the Enchanted Circle drive in NM if basing out of Pagosa Springs ...
Ah yes, New Mexico...Land of Enchanted Drivers.

There's all kinds of good smaller roads off the San Juan Skyway loop too.
(LOL, never knew it had an official name).

Fly boy
Mon May 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
dunno if this will help...

http://motorcycleroads.us/co.html

mtnairlover
Mon May 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ah yes, Arizona...Land of Enchanted Drivers.

There's all kinds of good smaller roads off the San Juan Skyway loop too.
(LOL, never knew it had an official name).

You do know that I meant the loop in New Mexico that's just north of Taos, right? It can be reached from Pagosa Springs pretty easily, as it's in the North Central part of NM.

Yeah, I've spent many summers as a kid and when I was married, w/wo kids, playing around in the SW parts of CO. Lots of amazing scenery and wonderful roads to explore.

mtnairlover
Mon May 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Oooo...this is a fun tool...

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/index.html?id=150&size=medium&left=-106.2&bottom=35.48&right=-105.62&top=35.86

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Shuweeeet!

I'm gonna put this down on a list of wishes I've going for my summer off. I've been down to SWCO and NWNM and absolutely love those areas...so much scenery and beauty and yeah those roads would be fun on a bike.

Ok then..."things to do"...1. trip through swco, 2. overnighter with a few pals, 3. ? Man, I love summer!!!!

Edit: This is NOT a "for sure", but a definite consideration for me.

Here's what we did for 6 consecutive summers. It was a blast:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html

mtnairlover
Mon May 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Here's what we did for 6 consecutive summers. It was a blast:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html

Dude! I know I've seen that a while ago...completely forgot about it. I'm definitely putting that one down on my list...w00t!

rforsythe
Sat May 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Sounds like Cathy may be the route planner on this one! I'm hoping to get a discount on a Corbin seat so my bony ass can handle 2 days on that thing, and a few other accessories here and there.

Hopefully we have a real list of who's going in the next couple weeks. Let's set the date now as June 30/July 1, two full days of riding, good stories, etc. Cathy, if you want, figure out how far we're likely to get over some good roads on the 30th and what town we will end up in, and I can try to find some place we can all crash for the night.

If you're going on this ride, post up your name now! I don't know that there is a limit, but again, I will be making some sort of overnight reservation based on this, so please only put your name in if you're serious about going.
1. Ralph
2. Cathy
etc

mtnairlover
Sat May 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
W00t! Me? Route planner? Cool beans!

I'm gonna take a looksee of my map and will get back with some more details. Oooooo...this is gonna be some fun!

mtnairlover
Sat May 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ok, so here are some suggestions for routes. Two different routes going down and two different routes coming back.

1. Littleton to Durango ... http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90254584868760064
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/littletontodurango.png

2. Littleton to Pagosa Springs
http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90252878284949567
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/littletontopagosa.png

Going home...
3. Durango to Littleton...
http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90257034465235794
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/durangotolittleton.png

4. Pagosa Springs to Littleton...
http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/maproute.jsp?t=d&id=ED90259564280734469
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/pagosatolittleton.png

Ah, the choices. There's 2 different towns to stay in. Durango is rich in history and has many, many choices of places to stay and dine. Pagosa Springs is known for its mineral springs. Although I've never stayed there, I know there are some good places to stay. Eateries? Not so sure.

noskills
Thu May 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Sign me up. Its a rare occasion that I'm off for the weekend and not on call. Just the right time to get out of town!

rforsythe
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cool routes! Don't know if I'd rather stay in Durango or Pagosa, so I'm open to whatever on that one.

At the moment there's only a few of us going... Come on kids, add your name to the list and come on out for a great weekend!

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'll go.

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Ok then, so let's see...this is what I'm thinking...

Stop in Durango:
Use map #2 going south and instead of stopping in Pagosa Springs, continue to Durango. Just add another 60 miles to the total, making a grand total of about 500 miles. As long as we leave early enough, we'll get there with sunlight left <crosses fingers>.

Here's a summary of the mountain passes we'll hit going down:

Ute Pass
Wilkerson Pass
Trout Creek Pass
Monarch Pass
Slumgullion Pass
Spring Creek Pass
Wolf Creek PassThe return route might deviate a bit from the posted maps, but it still includes the San Juan Skyway.

So, 500 miles in one day? Doable?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I might meet you all in Buena Vista or Salida (Ponca Springs). Depending if Uncle Larry is home.

noskills
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Is this ride going to come together? Looks as though there are only 4 people with interest. If it is still on what are we looking at as far as overnight accommodation costs? Also 500 miles to Durango, sounds like we would be moving at a good click to make it by sundown. What will be the depart time and from where?

Come on people, Sign up for this ride! If this falls though I will probably end up tiling a floor or something and that would suck! :roll:

rforsythe
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM
This ride is on, anyone else who doesn't make it just sucks. :lol: I even have a new seat for the bike on order so I can handle the miles, because that much distance on a stock dual sport seat is like ass-suicide. Not sure what overnight costs will be, other than probably cheap. We don't need 4-star accommodations or anything, just a hot shower and breakfast in the morning. I also don't mind sharing a room with whoever, unless you snore like a chainsaw, in which case you will wake up on the lawn. ;)

Cathy - that route sounds good to me! I'm all for an early morning departure; it will be cooler outside, and we'll have time to stop for some pictures of the scenery and what not - you know, like to actually enjoy the place we're visiting instead of just blasting through. I'm on a DR650 so I can't really go balls-out fast anyway (though that thing corners amazingly well).

500 miles in a day is very doable; we did about that much going to Bishop's Castle and back a few years ago on the Jessica memorial ride and still got back before sundown, even with a late start and a lot of stops. I will caution you, my carpal tunnel in my wrist has been bugging the shit out of me lately. If I fall back that is why, because I may need to just drone on for a bit and get the weight off my wrist. That's another reason I won't be going crazy fast....

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Cool beans, Ralph! All points taken into consideration. You all realize that I will be coming from Loveland in the wee hours of the morn to meet up with ya in your neck o'the woods. So, um, I guess you'll have to let me know what time you're thinking for departure and I'll add about an hour or so to that so I can wake my arse outta bed with time to spare...naw mean?

Oh, and Ralph? You said something about finiding the accommodations? Just let us know about costs (well me, especially, so I can budget for it). But, maybe I won't have to worry about costs, since I'll be sleeping out on the lawn anyways.:lol:

;)

noskills
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I'm good for leaving early, I'm also willing to meet somewhere in between Loveland and Denver if we can route that in and everyone is cool with it.

Ralph. Is it your throttle hand that bothers you? I know I wouldn't survive long rides on my RR without my throttle lock. I would have to say best mod for under 30 bucks aside from my garage door opener.

If you think I might need anything special, like a sleeping bag for sleeping in a cabin, let me know. Unless I hear different I will just bring my normal gear.

Clovis
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds interesting. How many miles total are you guys thinking? Where is the ride starting from? Colorado Springs? Denver?

Damn I wish I could find saddle bags or at least a tail bag for the 07 R1 :(

rforsythe
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
500 miles the first day, probably around 350-400 the second would be my guess.

Yeah it's my throttle hand the most, I will look into a throttle lock - that's a good idea!

We're starting from wherever; I am in Denver, my guess is Cathy and other northerners will come down and we can go west from there (I can also meet you kids over on the west side of town). Coming from Fountain, I think if you went west on Hwy 50 towards Canon City you could probably intercept the rest of us and join up. Bags are nice but not needed (I don't have any yet either), I am just putting everything in a duffle bag as best I can and strapping the thing on.

Regarding accommodations - Terry Howard, a very nice lady who is the state coordinator from ABATE, fired off some email to their Durango office for me to get a recommendation from them on where to stay. I will post up the results of that as soon as I get it. :up:

noskills
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM
If we are doing map #2 to Durango, we will be going though Woodland Park right? If so then Clovis could just head N 25 for W on 24 and meet up in Woodland Park. Unless I'm looking at it wrong that would be a lot closer place to join up. Clovis, come along. Throw your stuff in backpack and strap it on. I have extra room in my soft packs we could cram your backpack in so you don't have to wear it the whole way.

Cathy your in Loveland... I'm a dumbass:oops:. When I hear Loveland I always think of ski resort. Scratch my last "meet in between" idea.

Ralph, Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control is what I have. I think they are 25 buck at Performance. Pretty cheesy but it works.
Pros: My back and wrist love it.
Cons: Can contribute to throttle binding. Robs valuable grip space.

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Cathy your in Loveland... I'm a dumbass:oops:. When I hear Loveland I always think of ski resort. Scratch my last "meet in between" idea.

Yepper and nope, you're no dumbass...everyone thinks that. You're not the first to think it was the ski area that I live in, ha! And probably won't be the last.

Anyway, I was thinking of some point down south to meet up at....as in Littleton, which is south for me. And, then we can pick up peeps along the route as you mentioned in Woodland Park, etc. If anyone knows of a central place, or a gas station or something that is along the hwy, that would be the place to meet clovis.

I'm gonna come up with a southern (Littleton) meeting spot and will let ya know where it's at.

Edit: Oh, and I think it would do us all a bit of good to share cell #'s, so we can all be in contact and make sure everyone knows what's going on. I'll send those who have posted my cell in a PM.

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
How's this place? http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=8444+S+Kipling+Pkwy&city=littleton&state=co&zipcode=

We could meet in the parking lot there. There's also a gas station, a Starbucks (for us coffee hounds) and other conveniences as needed.

zetaetatheta
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm in if you don't mind a SOCO rider on an ugly bike..Meet you in Woodland Park...Mike

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Here's what lies ahead (Thanks TYZO)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/codys_04/vegas07073.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/codys_04/vegas07075.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/codys_04/vegas07077.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/codys_04/vegas07081.jpg

noskills
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
The meeting spot in Littleton looks good. Is the gas station/ Starbucks on the east or west side of Kipling and at what intersection? As far as meeting in Woodland Park. There is a huge parking lot on the east side where 67 and 24 intersect. That would be convenient. I would put up a nice pretty link like Cathy does but I'm a De dede, when it comes to mapquest.

The Cell Idea is a great one. Along those lines, I know CSC rallied to put together emergency list on ppl. I for one would like someone if not everyone on this ride to have my info. If you would like I will compile a simple list for this ride, send them back to everyone and print up hard copies to be handed out when we meet. If you don't want to be included that is fine. If you do send me:
1. Name and board name
2. Your cell number if applicable.
3. Emergency contact name and number
4. Alergies or pertinent medical info.
Does this sound good? Likes, dislikes? Need more/less info?

Man the scenery looks awesome. I am ready!

zetaetatheta - What are you riding? If I don't get my fairings back on then Ugly is good. My naked cyclops will need all the help it can get so it's not the ugliest. But if your idea of ugle is a Triple then you can just stay home. Mmmmmmm I love the look of the Triple. :yumyum: vbmenu_register("postmenu_184763", true);

zetaetatheta
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Multistrada...like the ugly girlfriend with the smokin body and handles sooo..well.

noskills
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Multistrada - Hell almost Cadillac like comfort for long rides. With the web like sub frame you have endless strapping possibilities for a duffle bag.

Doh - I'm thinking of Clovis. zetaetatheta (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2808) vbmenu_register("postmenu_184824", true); probably has bags. Now Clovis, not so many strapping possibilities. I just can't get over it, a 25 y/o w/ an R1. Not sure if that makes me mad or jealous! I was just getting married at 25. hmmm... Maybe that was my problem; I chose to get a couch not a sports bike! Yep it's definitely jealousy!

mtnairlover
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
The meeting spot in Littleton looks good. Is the gas station/ Starbucks on the east or west side of Kipling and at what intersection?

If you do send me:
1. Name and board name
Does this sound good? Likes, dislikes? Need more/less info?

Man the scenery looks awesome. I am ready!

Ok, so the place I posted is a Kohls. The store is on the south end of a shopping area, but on the East side of Kipling Pkwy. The gas station is a little north of Kohls, but in the same center. The location, or intersection that is close by is C-470 and Kipling Pkwy. I hope that helps.

As for the emergency info? Good job asking for that info. I'll be PM'ing here shortly.

Can't wait to see those mountains again.

rforsythe
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Those pics are making me excited in funny places! :drool:

I picked up a new set of Anekees (more streetish dual sport Michelins with Pilot Power compound) from Stan, and will get a windscreen on order Monday-ish since the DR has none and that much riding will be very fatiguing without it. Littleton meeting spot works for me, I haven't looked at the map link yet but that direction is fine with me.

rybo
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
OK....I'm in.

Going to figure out the time off here in the next couple of days, but I'm in for the SoWeCo ride.

Also count me in +1, I think I've got one other person convinced to come along....

can someone PM me the accomodation info and costs?

Thanks

Scott

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Welp, since I'm such an earlybird *cough*, I thought I'd throw out a coupla start times for Saturday and you guys decide which is best. I can get down to Littleton within about an hour, so how about?...

Arrive at 7:00, leave at 7:30

or

Arrive at 7:30 and leave at 8:00

Oh, and Scott...if you guys are leaving from Milliken, can I follow along? I wouldn't mind the company in the wee hours.

rybo
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Cath,

Near as I can tell you're the lead dog on this thing....it would be me following you! Of course we can team up, but isn't the 29th a Friday?

s

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cath,

Near as I can tell you're the lead dog on this thing....it would be me following you! Of course we can team up, but isn't the 29th a Friday?

s

Yep, it is, but I think we're just gonna do this over 2 days...just Saturday and Sunday...at least that's what I read in Ralph's post...please correct me if he posted a change and I didn't see it. Oh, here's part of that post...

Sounds like Cathy may be the route planner on this one! I'm hoping to get a discount on a Corbin seat so my bony ass can handle 2 days on that thing, and a few other accessories here and there.

Hopefully we have a real list of who's going in the next couple weeks. Let's set the date now as June 30/July 1, two full days of riding, good stories, etc. Cathy, if you want, figure out how far we're likely to get over some good roads on the 30th and what town we will end up in, and I can try to find some place we can all crash for the night.

And, since I am (sorta) lead on this, I say we meet at 7:15 and leave at 7:45 and that's my final answer.:)

rybo
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM
roger doger....

we don't even need 1/2 hour to meet, as you're coming south on 25 there is a little parking area at the Milliken Johnstown exit. Let's just meet there and roll!

rforsythe
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure where the 29th got injected, but this ride is a Sat/Sun thing, 6/30-7/1.

I think the 7:15-7:45 slot was for meeting in Littleton, wasn't it? We may need a half hour there. If everyone is on time though it won't take as long, but we should at least gas up and all that. No idea what my endurance is, I'd say 100-115 til reserve on that bike. Not exactly major distance, but I think we'd be stopping for a rest around then anyway. Unfortunately I won't have my IMS tank by then...

noskills
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I will be meeting in littleton and will be there as close to 7:15 as possible. I work till 12:30 am so I will try to be coffied up and smiling.

bump:
PM me if you would like to be added to the emergency info list.
1. Name and board name

Clovis
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Hey now, I'll be 26 in a few days and I've been married since I was 23 ;)

I can strap a small back pack from when I was in high school to the back seat - I do this when I take my bike to work - I'll goto work in jeans and switch into slacks and put a tie/shoes in there. It might work.

I still have to convince my wife to let me go, she wants us to finish yard work... but maybe she'll come too now that she has her own bike (zf6) which does have strapping room, heck you can get a saddle bag for it.

-Clov

Multistrada - Hell almost Cadillac like comfort for long rides. With the web like sub frame you have endless strapping possibilities for a duffle bag.

Doh - I'm thinking of Clovis. zetaetatheta (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2808) vbmenu_register("postmenu_184824", true); probably has bags. Now Clovis, not so many strapping possibilities. I just can't get over it, a 25 y/o w/ an R1. Not sure if that makes me mad or jealous! I was just getting married at 25. hmmm... Maybe that was my problem; I chose to get a couch not a sports bike! Yep it's definitely jealousy!

rforsythe
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
New list of riders:

1. Me
2. Cathy
3. Noskills
4. Jeff
5. Clovis
6. Zetaetatheta
7. Scott
8. Scott's Mystery Guest (?)

Sweet, this looks like a good turnout! I'm still waiting to hear back on accommodations in Durango, but are there any preferences for how we do it?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
New list of riders:

1. Me
2. Cathy
3. Noskills
4. Jeff
5. Clovis
6. Zetaetatheta
7. Scott
8. Scott's Mystery Guest (?)

Sweet, this looks like a good turnout! I'm still waiting to hear back on accommodations in Durango, but are there any preferences for how we do it?

Let's stay at the sleaziest places we can. :D

rforsythe
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Well, I'd like the bikes to be there in the morning, but I'm all for going low-budget (mainly because after getting the bike ready for a "distance" ride, I have no more money to ride it. :lol: ). If that means sleazy, well, cool. As long as shit isn't crawling on me at night (that includes you Jeff :shock:) I'm open to ideas.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Well, I'd like the bikes to be there in the morning, but I'm all for going low-budget (mainly because after getting the bike ready for a "distance" ride, I have no more money to ride it. :lol: ). If that means sleazy, well, cool. As long as shit isn't crawling on me at night (that includes you Jeff :shock:) I'm open to ideas.

If it crosses your mind than you must believe it would happen. I'll stay up in Silverton just to be sure it doesn't. I say we camp out and save even more $$ for beer :twisted:

Here's a link to all the places in the area: http://www.durango.org/HotelsMotels/

The further away from the Narrow Gage Railroad (downtown) you stay the cheaper.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
CDOT 2007 Construction Map (.pdf format)

http://www.dot.state.co.us/travelinfo/construction/constmap07.pdf

There are a few projects on the current route posted. Nothing outrageous.

rforsythe
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Construction projects matter not to those on dual sports. :twisted:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Construction projects matter not to those on dual sports. :twisted:

And the threat of hemorrhoids is of no concern to those who ride large displacement Kawasucki's for 500 miles. :D

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Construction projects matter not to those on dual sports.

So ----- you might want to hang a right out of Lake City and do the dirt route over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton (550) then south to Durango. If I was on the bike you're going to ride that's exactly what I'd do.

http://www.atvtrails.org/cinnamon_pass.html

There is also the route across through the heart of the San Juan's that passes Rio Grande Reservoir. The route goes over Stony Pass into Silverton.

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/images/stony_pass/185_025.jpg

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/images/stony_pass/185_029.jpg

Both routes are spectacular and aren't that difficult. You most likely will get to Durango the same time the rest of the group lands ---------- nah :D We'll save you a cold one :siesta:

I need a dual-sport again. :cry:

rforsythe
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
And the threat of hemorrhoids is of no concern to those who ride large displacement Kawasucki's for 500 miles. :D

Touche. :shock: :lol:

Actually I have a Corbin seat on order through Erico for the bike, I am hoping Jenny works her magic and gets it here in time. The dirt-oriented Corbins have the wider padding in the back to prevent anal distress, but are still narrow in front like a normal dirt seat so you can get forward and stand on the pegs.

That dirt route looks fun! Downside is I'm still very inexperienced on the dirt, so I don't want to play on that by myself. Buy a DS Jeff, I'm gonna start a "Roads are for Sissies" riding group and go find all the ways through the mountains the assholes in RV's and sedans just can't touch. :D

firegixx600
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I am in for sure on this ride!!! As long as my wrist is alright by then(don't know if it's fractured or just torn ligament yet...x-ray pending) I've been planning on it but June has flown by! I'm down for a major case of monkey butt and can't wait to get down SW! I figured anyone from the springs would hook up with the northies in woodland park, just curious what time to expect you guys/gals? I usually fuel up at the shell just east of 67 on the south side of 24 (meet up there?)

noskills
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Firegixx,
What's up with the wrist? 10 days before trip, it should heal. Ace wrap, Advil and ride. :)
No one has named a good spot to meet yet in Woodland. This sounds as good as any but I'm not sure where the Shell station is. Below are #1 Diamond Shamrock, #2 is Loaf N Jug. The Loaf N' Jug is a Conoco station. Do you have an address for the Shell?. As far as time???? I'm not sure the time from Littleton to Woodland. Anyone?
Cathy? You are the mapping guru. What time do you think we should meet in Woodland if we head out of littleton by 7:45?
Toby
http://map.web.mapquest.com/?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2cr%3a9u12%3b%40%24x5%2d1 wlf72%26%3d22d%2d7sga10%264%402u672u%40b%26qzal10% 24aqf1w%26u2gu%2ct%3a9672%3bu%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3 alr%40whatgd%40%5fnu4%402draxd%40%24%3a9672%3b0%24 xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40whaznq%40%5fnu4%402draal%4 0%24%3a9672%3ba%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40whwba0%4 0%5fnu4%402daawh%40%24%3a9672%3bw%24xuzz%3a%26%40% 24%3alr%40wh01su%40%5fnu4%402qfzw0%40%24%3a9672%3b 4%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40wh072u%40%5fnu4%402qf2 5u%40%24%3a9672%3by%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alf%402u01 w5%40%5fnu4%402gu1lu%40%24%3a9672%3b%40b20w%24%3a% 26%40%24x5%2d1wlf72%26%3d22d%2d7sga10%26%40%24ngy7 %7ctpf3fjq%3a%26u859%2c7%3a1xz3%26u859%2c25%26ry29 utal%40awlatldr%24w0z125y%24xd0750u%24nd6r504%24au uagh%40blqzza%26u85h47%3a0w1wh%40b0u67%3a9r72u%401 2u6%245067%3a1472%26ubwu%2da%7c%26%4022q6%40n%3b6% 24%3a%26ur2u%2da%7c%26yt29%40%24&rand=206.55202713549036

Clovis
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM
The lovely wife gave her approval so I'm in for sure now :) I just ordered a tail bag from Luggage locker - they make custom bags depending on the type of bike - pretty cool deal.

http://www.luggagelocker.com/

The bag is large enough for a full faced helmet so it should be fine to hold a change of shirts, socks and some room to stuff my layered gear in when its hot and then take it out when its cold 30 minutes later =P

I'm going to call around to the Yamaha dealers tomorrow to try and find one that has the 07 R1 comfort seat in stock as my butt hurts after a long ride as it is.

I'm also looking for a hand held GPS unit but I can't remember my damn PayPal password and it locked me out =/

Should be a bitch'n good time!

As far as Woodland Park, Gixxer and I live close, we could meet with you folks there - Theres a starbux, a walgreens, a McDonalds - all off the main road (24). What time should we be in woodland park?

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 08:03 AM
Cathy? You are the mapping guru. What time do you think we should meet in Woodland if we head out of littleton by 7:45?
Toby

I think we should be there around 8:45 - 9:00. Just let me know the exact place to meet up, so that I can find it on mapquest...or, post it up and we'll be there.

firegixx600
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Firegixx,
What's up with the wrist? 10 days before trip, it should heal. Ace wrap, Advil and ride. :)
No one has named a good spot to meet yet in Woodland. This sounds as good as any but I'm not sure where the Shell station is. Below are #1 Diamond Shamrock, #2 is Loaf N Jug. The Loaf N' Jug is a Conoco station. Do you have an address for the Shell?. As far as time???? I'm not sure the time from Littleton to Woodland. Anyone?
Toby
http://map.web.mapquest.com/?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2cr%3a9u12%3b%40%24x5%2d1 wlf72%26%3d22d%2d7sga10%264%402u672u%40b%26qzal10% 24aqf1w%26u2gu%2ct%3a9672%3bu%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3 alr%40whatgd%40%5fnu4%402draxd%40%24%3a9672%3b0%24 xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40whaznq%40%5fnu4%402draal%4 0%24%3a9672%3ba%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40whwba0%4 0%5fnu4%402daawh%40%24%3a9672%3bw%24xuzz%3a%26%40% 24%3alr%40wh01su%40%5fnu4%402qfzw0%40%24%3a9672%3b 4%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alr%40wh072u%40%5fnu4%402qf2 5u%40%24%3a9672%3by%24xuzz%3a%26%40%24%3alf%402u01 w5%40%5fnu4%402gu1lu%40%24%3a9672%3b%40b20w%24%3a% 26%40%24x5%2d1wlf72%26%3d22d%2d7sga10%26%40%24ngy7 %7ctpf3fjq%3a%26u859%2c7%3a1xz3%26u859%2c25%26ry29 utal%40awlatldr%24w0z125y%24xd0750u%24nd6r504%24au uagh%40blqzza%26u85h47%3a0w1wh%40b0u67%3a9r72u%401 2u6%245067%3a1472%26ubwu%2da%7c%26%4022q6%40n%3b6% 24%3a%26ur2u%2da%7c%26yt29%40%24&rand=206.55202713549036
It must be the conoco then, my bad. I know the diamond shamrock is actually on hwy67. I don't care how much my wrist hurts, i'm going on this ride. I'm a paramedic student as well, so i have a pretty good idea what i can and can't do with it. Riding=YES:up:

As for meeting in Woodland, the Conoco(not shell:banghead:)basically the SE corner of hwy24 and hwy67, you can't miss it. I suppose we'll plan on being there at 8:30-8:45am

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Ok, guys...I need to hit all of ya at once, cuz this back and forth PM'ing can get wearing on a person. I need to know who has what perferences. I need those preferences NOW!!!

I found a place north of Durango about 5 minutes. Here's the website http://www.ironhorseinndurango.com/suites.htm. The family suite is doable, with 2 queens, 1 double, sleeper couch (possible) and rollaway, but only if you all don't mind sharing a bed...otherwise, we gotta go somewhere's else. Get my drift? This particular family suite rate is $124/night, with military/senior discount already figured into the cost.

Get back to me ASAP! Got it?! If not Iron Horse, then I'll try elsewhere's.

rforsythe
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
I say if time is of the essence just do it, but that's my opinion.

rybo
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Sounds good to me!

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Actually, Iron Horse has a coupla family suites available. It's the vacation homes/condos that are either not available, or have multi-night stay requirements. If we choose to do 2 family suites, then of course double the cost, but it's still reasonable at possibly no more than $40/person.

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ok kiddies. Here's the deal. I reserved one family suite at the Iron Horse. The rate was still doable even after the $10/person extra past 2 charge. The grand total is $180.24 after tax. That's still $25/person. Gas will cost somewhere around $150 for the weekend (for me) and then we've got food. This could be a weekend of fun and merriment for right around $225., give or take based on your eating habits.

I can cancel that reservation, though, in lieu of finding a better place.

This family suite has 2 bathrooms, so just be aware of that and maybe a couple of us will have to rough it on the floor. Other than that, you'd better tell me you want something different, or I will leave the reservation as it stands.

Payment is due upon arrival/departure, so don't worry...the only thing on my credit card is the reservation.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds good to me. And Ralph can bed down out on one of the balconies overlooking the Animus River :D

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
I also checked with the people at Iron Horse to find out about the safety of our bikes and was told we will be able to park the bikes right outside the room. They don't have covered parking, or anything of that nature. So, just a heads up.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM
I also checked with the people at Iron Horse to find out about the safety of our bikes and was told we will be able to park the bikes right outside the room. They don't have covered parking, or anything of that nature. So, just a heads up.

I suggest bring a disk lock.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM
KSUT presents The Iguana's Live at the Durango Mountain Resort (Old Purgatory) on Saturday night the 30th

http://www.durangomountainresort.com/index.cfm?fa=feature.display&feature_ID=95

Bank of the San Juans presents...The Iguanas in a dance concert to benefit KSUT
Saturday, June 30, 7 PM at Durango Mountain Resort. Tickets only $20 and available at all 3 Bank of the San Juans locations; Southwest Sound; and by phone at KSUT 970-563-0255. Lodging packages available through Durango Mountain Resort.

The great New Orleans dance band The Iguanas will be back on June 30 for their third annual concert to benefit KSUT at Durango Mountain Resort.

While the bands' roots are firmly in New Orleans, they also incorporate Mexican conjunto and norteno styles with a voodoo twist. Despite their well-deserved reputation as the ultimate party band, New Orleans' Iguanas have always had a flair for melodies and lyrics as well as grooves.

"No matter what song they played, the Iguanas showed how mature their sound is, as well as their lyrics. With ghettodelic guitar grooves and airy accordion accompanying dreamlike bilingual lyrics, the Iguanas did not disappoint. The flawless, butt-shaking concert was as good as the thick sonic gumbo that the band played. It proved two things: We need a new Iguanas release and we need the Iguanas to return more often." Durango Herald, July 12, 2005

noskills
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Cathy,
All sounds good in regards to the overnight accommodations. I'm happy to grab some floor if we are short on bed space, so I will bring a bag.

I will also be bringing an Ongard cable lock that will cover two wheels if not 3 along with a disk lock.

Clovis
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds good. So is the plan to ride to Durango and ride back the same route the next day?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Sounds good. So is the plan to ride to Durango and ride back the same route the next day?

No --- different route on the return.

By way of passes down =

Wilkerson
Trout Creek
Monarch
Slumgullion
Spring Creek
Wolf CreekComing back (this is what I will most likely do)

Coal Bank
Molas
Red Mountain
McClure
Independence
Fremont
Eisenhower TunnelYou can ax

McClure
Independence
Fremont
Eisenhower Tunneland just go directly east on 50 from Montrose to Gunnison then do

Monarch
Trout Creek
KenoshaThere is also the North Rim of The Black Canyon as a possibility (CO 92) from Delta (Hotchkiss) to Gunnison.

So many options ------- so little time :(

Clovis
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Damn, now I'm wondering if I should drop the $230 for a handheld GPS unit =/ I have GPS on my phone but it only works when I'm within phone service.

rybo
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM
I wasn't going to bring my GPS, but will if you want to play with it Clovis.

Scott

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=155

firegixx600
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'll more than likely bring my GPS, just for fun. I have a 6 or 9'(don't remember) krypt. cable I can bring. I'm not worried about it myself, that's what insurance is for:).

thunderseye
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
gotta check to see if i have school i would so be there. graduate the week after that... grrr

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
My plans have changed --- for the better :siesta:

I will be able to continue this trip through 07/04 as I will be taking time off from the sweat shop that I work in until after the 4th :usa:. I will be open to any route changes that may occur :cool:.

Partay on Garth :rock:

rybo
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
party on....excellent!

rforsythe
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Nice Jeff! Wish I could as well, but I'm already taking a lot of time for R2SL this year and don't dare ask for any more at this point.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Found a $10 off /night coupon for The IronHorse

http://www.laplatadiscount.com/Durango/hotel_Iron/coupon.asp

And Restaurant coupons

http://www.laplatadiscount.com/dining.asp

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
In reading the fine print, I'm thinking they will not allow us to use it. But, print it out anyway and we'll present it and see what happens.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
In reading the fine print, I'm thinking they will not allow us to use it. But, print it out anyway and we'll present it and see what happens.

Call um back up and mention DestinationCoupons.com ---- that seems to be to only prerequisite for use.

Clovis
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
So,rforsythe (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3)wont be joining us for the ride? :(
(http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3)

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Um? What? I haven't heard anything and your link points to his profile...was that what you meant to do? I'm so confused.:cry:

rybo
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
I talked to Ralph last night and he's in

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Phew!

Oh, and I just read the thread with the *other* 500-mile-in-one-day-ride and noted a bit of a get-off. We'll be having none of those alright?! I mean it guys...none at all!!!

rybo
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
I've done all of my falling down for the year.

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Tee hee. Good...besides, Ben Bostrom won't be joining us.;)

rforsythe
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
So,rforsythe (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3)wont be joining us for the ride? :(
(http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=3)

Huh?? I don't get it either. :dunno: Fo shizzle I'm in!

I also don't have any intentions of falling down. We'll go over ride rules once everyone meets up together (at this point probably in Woodland Park) but the key thing is everyone rides their own pace. If you're slower than whoever is in front of you, so what! They'll have to wait for you to catch up at the next stopping point. This ride will also take a little bit of endurance, so going balls out will only serve to wear you down faster anyway.

That said... The new tires went on the DR this evening along with a couple other upgrades, and I have a couple more happening next week. So, game on. :D

Clovis
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Nice Jeff! Wish I could as well, but I'm already taking a lot of time for R2SL this year and don't dare ask for any more at this point.

I was referring to that post - I thought perhaps you had to work on the weekend.

I'm really looking forward to this one!

firegixx600
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
I was referring to that post - I thought perhaps you had to work on the weekend.

I'm really looking forward to this one!
Oh Billy:no:

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
You guyz R nuts ------- this is goin down and it will be epic :twisted:

mtnairlover
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Dude!!! Fer sure:rock:

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
I just bought new boots and a helmet ------- I can't wait :rock:

FZRguy
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I’ll be riding that area July 13-16 scouting my tour, and then doing it on a bicycle July 20-28…got room if anyone here is crazy enough to ride the San Juans on a bicycle.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I am sooooooo ready ................................................ :twisted:

Clovis
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Wahoo, my luggage bag came in the mail today. I'm getting a near rear tire tomorrow, changing the oil before we leave, woohoo :)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9872/1000994do5.jpg

Clovis
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Pics of the new bag - btw, he makes custom bags for all types of sport bikes.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=187816#post187816

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Wahoo, my luggage bag came in the mail today. I'm getting a near rear tire tomorrow, changing the oil before we leave, woohoo :)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9872/1000994do5.jpg

You can carry the beer :drink:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM
:siesta:Driving distance: 461.8 miles:siesta:

Clovis
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
From Denver to Durango?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM
From Denver to Durango?

Yes.

rybo
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Yup....I'm ready for some time away! Looking forward to this trip with you guys and gals

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM
:siesta:Driving distance: 461.8 miles:siesta:

Ha! Add another 60 miles to that for me coming from Loveland and that makes it a whopping 521.8 in one day...w00t!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Ha! Add another 60 miles to that for me coming from Loveland and that makes it a whopping 521.8 in one day...w00t!

That mileage was calulated from Kipling & C-470.

Bring lots-o Anti Monkey Butt Powder!

http://antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I spent all day Saturday on the new Corbin (thanks to Jenny for helping with that!) ... that thing is worth every penny spent! We will see how it does after nearly 1K miles, but so far I'm loving it. Also got the new rack in last night, holy sh!t that thing is big (extends out past the turn signals). However it's lightweight, strong, and able to strap down a duffel in several places - plus when I get panniers on there I'll be able to get in them without shifting gear around. Quick-mount windscreen should be here today, once I have that it will be long-trip ready (at least for this one). Unsure if the IMS tank will show up in time or not, the place had it in stock but the dude won't email me back with a tracking number so it's hard to say. No biggie there, I will just need gas more often (100-115 miles) to avoid a repeat of the Monument "DR's out of gas" experience and subsequent siphoning. Perhaps I will bring some tubing just in case. :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Coming back from Dungo these are two route options available.

Option One

Coal Bank Pass
Molas Pass
Red Mountain Pass
McClure Pass
Independence Pass
Fremont Pass
Eisenhower Tunnel
Home (Golden)

Option Two

Coal Bank Pass
Molas Pass
Red Mountain Pass
North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Monarch Pass
Trout Creek Pass
Red Hill Pass
Kenosha Pass
Home (Golden)

I ran the route through MS Streets & Trips and this is the mileage that it spit out:

Option #1 - 402.2 miles
Option #2 - 405.3 miles

Interesting

:confused:

:think:

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm leaning towards #2 but will have to ponder that one...

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I'm leaning towards #2 but will have to ponder that one...

It seems to me that it's how much elevation you want to ride and how close you want to be to the Aspen elite :cool:

zetaetatheta
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Gonna have to skip this ride bike and rider down. Was really looking forward to it, maybe later when the bike and I heal. Mike

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Gonna have to skip this ride bike and rider down. Was really looking forward to it, maybe later when the bike and I heal. Mike

Fix yourself --- fix the bike ---- fix to ride next time. :)

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Coming back from Dungo these are two route options available...

Um...I did that same thing, but came up with these passes instead. I'm not sure why that software is spitting out those results, but they are wrong.

If you do option 1, then you are talking about going back home by skirting around Black Canyon of the Gunnison, because McClure Pass is along hwy133, which comes off of hwy92. Hwy92 is the road that takes you along the North Rim of the Black Canyon.

I did a little route of my own that also includes going through Aspen and then over Independence Pass, then Trout Creek, and staying on hwy285 you also get through Red Hill Pass and then Kenosha Pass.

Total miles on that trip for me to get home to Loveland would be a whopping 590 miles. I haven't checked the total miles if I took I-70 instead of going back hwy285.

Now, if we did not take that route, then we could just go from Montrose to Gunnison and then over Monarch Pass, and then up hwy285, over Trout Creek, over Red Hill, and then over Kenosha to back home. This is basically your option 2, minus the North Rim of the Black Canyon.

Total miles on that option all the way back to Loveland would be a whopping 440 miles.

Phew...either way, I'm gonna be gittin' some saddle time there buckaroo. Woo woo

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Don't pay any attention to the 'Day 2' :bs:

Denver to Durango
http://www.freewebs.com/nickninja/Denver%20to%20Durango%2007.htm

Durango to Denver via Aspen
http://www.freewebs.com/nickninja/Durango_DEN_IP.htm

Durango to Denver via North Rim BCotG
http://www.freewebs.com/nickninja/Durango_DEN_NRBCG_07.htm

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Dern that software. That route #3 is all wrong too.:( On my paper map, the route goes up to Delta from Montrose and that road is nowhere near the North Rim. I had that same problem trying to plot on another kind of free online software and had to look at the points on my paper map that are in between in order to force it along the right roads.

Here's the plotting points:

Montrose to Sapinero
Sapinero to Hotchkiss
Hotchkiss to Carbondale
Carbondale to Aspen
Aspen to Granite
Granite to Buena Vista
Buena Vista to Fairplay
Fairplay to Littleton

Gah...ok, at second glance I see where you are going...um, ok and no going through Aspen with that route.

rforsythe
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM
How bout I just bring my Big Red Book (aka DeLorme CO road atlas) and we can make it up as we go. :) Doesn't sound like technology wants to help us out here.

Clovis
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Man, I can't wait for this trip! I've got my luggage back, a new rear tire, just gotta change the oil and I'm set :)

The weather forcast for Woodland Park, Salida, Durango all say sunny and warm :) woohoo!

rforsythe
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah, been spending the last week getting things ready. Still no waterproof gear transportation at the moment, even though it doesn't look like I am going to need it I'm still skeptical, with it being the mountains and all. Oh well, I will come up with something. I'm ready to go! :up:

Hopefully the RevIt pants I got are as cool as I think they'll be, just about everywhere we are hitting is at or near 100 all weekend. :shock:

Thanks to Scott for reminding me of the meeting time, that had somehow been pushed back 30 minutes in my mind. Looks like I am leaving at 6:45am Saturday instead of the 7-7:15 I was planning on. :lol:

rforsythe
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Updated list:

1. Ralph
2. Cathy
3. Noskills
4. Jeff
5. Scott
6. Scott's Mystery Guest
7. Clovis
8. Firegixx600

The last two we'll pick up in Woodland Park, the rest of us will congregate at Kohls/Starbucks at 7:15 or so on Saturday morning. Noskills, dude what is your real name? :lol: Or I can just call you noskills the entire time.

Craig (thunderseye) - you get the time off or what? We had one drop out due to injury (see above) so I think his spot on the floor is up for grabs.

noskills
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
The name is Toby. I am psyched and ready to go! Sounds like every one is prepping their rides. I've mounted my fairing so you guys won't have to endure the Naked Cyclops bike.
The longest ride I have been on was 1200 miles in 3 days. I'm gonna be kinda sad if we don't break 1000 miles. Don't think of me as crazy if I'm doing circles in the parking lots while you guys are taking breaks. :crazy:

Thanks NN, I can't get this out of my head. Keeps making me laugh though!

http://antimonkeybutt.com/monkey_logo.jpg

PharmerKyle
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I almost have clearance to go, but she says I have to take my own damn bike:banghead:

Let's just see what the next 24 hrs of ass kissing will do. I hope I can still make it.

lightning126zp
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I almost have clearance to go, but she says I have to take my own damn bike:banghead:

Let's just see what the next 24 hrs of ass kissing will do. I hope I can still make it.
Good luck to you :up:

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Ok, let's see...got the luggage needed. Got the little travel bottles for shampoo, etc. Got the gear, sorta. Well, at least I've got a full sleeve rain liner and to be honest, with that forecast, even the highest passes are not gonna phase us weather-wise. Um, oh...still gotta do the oil change, chain lube thing.

Yep, I'm ready. Oh and most important...got my digicam all ready to go for lotsa pics.

W00t!!!

And, just cuz I'm a tad bit of a worrywart, does anyone here have the opinion that I should try and reserve at least one more room, just in case?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
How bout I just bring my Big Red Book (aka DeLorme CO road atlas) and we can make it up as we go. :) Doesn't sound like technology wants to help us out here.

We don't need no stinkin' maps :down:

*** Ralph -- I have a waterproof stuff bag that I used on my trip to Canada and many times on the river if you want to use it. ***

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks Nick, I think Rybo has me hooked up. :up: Toby, I want to hit 1K this weekend too. Should be doable. :twisted:

If any of you are going and are not on that list I posted a few threads up on this page, please reply to this post and add your name in now! We need to know if you're going, if you want a place to sleep!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Alrighty then :up: It is now Mantra time ---------

No Tickets -- No Crashes.

:D

rybo
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Alrighty then :up: It is now Mantra time ---------

No Tickets -- No Crashes.

STOP...Mantra Time!

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'll start getting ready today, spent too much time chasing Naders yesterday

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
STOP...Mantra Time!

If you show up in parachute pants on Saturday, I will just smack you silly. ;)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
STOP...Mantra Time!

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

rybo
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
If you show up in parachute pants on Saturday, I will just smack you silly. ;)

You can't touch this.....

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM
You asked for it...

rybo
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Go with the flow it is said
If you can't move to this then you probably are dead
So wave your hands in the air
Bust a few moves run your fingers through your hair
This is it for a winner
Dance to this and you're gonna get thinner
Now move slide your rump
Just for a minute let's all do the bump

.....bump for a great thread....anyone else getting psyched?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Ok, let's see...got the luggage needed. Got the little travel bottles for shampoo, etc. Got the gear, sorta. Well, at least I've got a full sleeve rain liner and to be honest, with that forecast, even the highest passes are not gonna phase us weather-wise. Um, oh...still gotta do the oil change, chain lube thing.

Yep, I'm ready. Oh and most important...got my digicam all ready to go for lotsa pics.

W00t!!!

And, just cuz I'm a tad bit of a worrywart, does anyone here have the opinion that I should try and reserve at least one more room, just in case?

Bring your rain gear ------ the San Juan's create their own orographic weather conditions.

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm so pumped!! I havn't yet figured out how i'm gonna charge my iPod once we get to Durango however:down: Guess I'll enjoy the wind once it dies:)
I'm bringing the Camelbak fo sho on this one!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'm so pumped!! I havn't yet figured out how i'm gonna charge my iPod once we get to Durango however:down: Guess I'll enjoy the wind once it dies:)
I'm bringing the Camelbak fo sho on this one!

The dromedary hydration unit is a good idea :up: I'll have a wall charger for a regular iPod --- you can use it after my device is loaded and ready to go.

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
The dromedary hydration unit is a good idea :up: I'll have a wall charger for a regular iPod --- you can use it after my device is loaded and ready to go.
Sweet! I got the 30G video, but I believe the plugs are the same

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure they all use the same plugs, since accessories seem to be nearly universal.

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'll start getting ready today, spent too much time chasing Naders yesterday

Were you doing that for work (as in getting called out) or for pleasure? Just wondering... I used to do a lot of storm chasing, Skywarn spotting for NWS, etc.

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Were you doing that for work (as in getting called out) or for pleasure? Just wondering... I used to do a lot of storm chasing, Skywarn spotting for NWS, etc.
Just for fun! Growing up in Oklahoma, it's pretty much my favorite pastime:) I just like to get out and take pictures really. It's not as much fun when you have to do it!

mtnairlover
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Pumped? Who said anything about being pumped...why I never...te he, yust kiddink, kiddies...I'm so excited I can't stand it.

I went out and about today on the dirty lil Zed (still got various bugs stuck to her from the Snowy Range ride) and bought oil and filter and some goo gone. Proceeded to wash her thoroughly when I got home then realized when I put her away in the garage, that I forgot to stop off at Home Depot to check on a better wrench for the oil plug...gah! I borrowed my neighbor's wrench last time and thought omg what a wonderful invention...it's called a "quick wrench". Derndest lil thing grabs a hold of any size bolt and turns like a charm without stripping. He said he got it at a garage sale. I wanted to go to Home Depot to see if I could find something like it, cuz I'm such a fricken brute with my tools and thingamajigs that it'll be no time before I ruin stuff.

Anyway, yeah I'm pumped. I've got my day planned out tomorrow so that I get the oil change done, chain lubing and then packing done. Also gotta go grocery shopping for the kidlets, so that they don't starve. Then "hopefully" a good night's sleep and up before the sun rises Saturday...woo woo!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
You can keep your 'Naders' :down: Crazy Dalton is riding on the CBR XX back to the Ozarks today ( back on the 3rd ---- :roll: ) The S.O.B. calls me up last night and asks if I would like to join him and his lovely wife, Cindy on their trip.

It was all I could do to bite my lip and keep from laughing :twisted:

Hummmmmmm, lemme see now. Durango and the San Juan's vs. Oklahoma and Arkansas??????? I don't think so. It's a no brainier. See all you loose cannons at 07:00 on Saturday :D

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'll be cleaning my bike up tom. as well. I like that tool you speak of! It is awesome! I don't know how much sleep i'll get, but i'll be ready to tear up some asphalt!:shocked:

rforsythe
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
What's the best way to get goo off an Acrylic windscreen without scratching it to hell or damaging the material (like alcohol or ammonia aka Windex would likely do)?

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
A very lightly sprayed SOFT cloth with WD-40. Then wash throughly.

Scruff Dog
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I want to go! But my mean selfish wife won't cover for me.:banghead:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I want to go! But my mean selfish wife won't cover for me.:banghead:

Tell your mean selfish wife to hire another slave and get yer arse out there :twisted:

Clovis
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Would one of you mind forwarding me the offical list of people going and a list of contact (cell) phone numbers?

Thanks,

-Clov

noskills
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I've got this covered. Clovis, I will be sending you a PM shortly. I'm at work so my remote is kinda slow. Hold tight.

I may be fooked. I have a new 2ct front tire and I just saw it is on the recall list. If Faster cant fit me in for an exchange I'm not sure I want to roll on bad rubber.

noskills
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Screw it, I'm going! The thought of not going didn't last very long, cause I'm too hyped to not go. :doublefinger: Caution!

I have the Emergency lists together. I can PM them to all or I can just hand out the hard copies when we get together. Does anyone care to have them now?

Now I'm doing the chant.
No Tickets -- No Blowouts.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
You can keep your 'Naders' :down: Crazy Dalton is riding on the CBR XX back to the Ozarks today ( back on the 3rd ---- :roll: ) The S.O.B. calls me up last night and asks if I would like to join him and his lovely wife, Cindy on their trip.

It was all I could do to bite my lip and keep from laughing :twisted:

Hummmmmmm, lemme see now. Durango and the San Juan's vs. Oklahoma and Arkansas??????? I don't think so. It's a no brainier. See all you loose cannons at 07:00 on Saturday :D

Case & Point

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/Dalton_Folly.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM
And the current Durango Radar is:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DungoRad.jpg

My $$ says we get rained on sometime on this trip.

firegixx600
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Oklahoma has been getting dumped on forever!

Our trip will include rain for sure! I've only been riding once in the mnts without getting rained on

noskills
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
NN,
I'll bet you a beer that we don't get a drop of rain. If we get rain before Durango I'll buy you 2 beers.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM
NN,
I'll bet you a beer that we don't get a drop of rain. If we get rain before Durango I'll buy you 2 beers.

10-4

DEAL

:up:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Screw it, I'm going! The thought of not going didn't last very long, cause I'm too hyped to not go. :doublefinger: Caution!

I have the Emergency lists together. I can PM them to all or I can just hand out the hard copies when we get together. Does anyone care to have them now?

Now I'm doing the chant.
No Tickets -- No Blowouts.

Here is an EMERGENCY FORM that is downloadable.

http://www.freewebs.com/nickninja/emergency.pdf

You can edit the file with your information and carry it with you.

You will need Adobe Acrobat to do it though.

noskills
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Here is an EMERGENCY FORM that is downloadable.

http://www.freewebs.com/nickninja/emergency.pdf

You can edit the file with your information and carry it with you.

You will need Adobe Acrobat to do it though.

Nice find. Printed and kept, thanks. I was just attempting to make a list with very basics just in case we get seperated or if there is an issue everyone knows something tangable about everyone else.

Clovis
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I'll be bringing a first aid kit - anyone else?

Clovis
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Speaking of packing, I'm just curious what you guys are planning on bringing.

I'll be riding in my typical gear - Jeans, a riding jacket, gloves, boots, helmet of course.

In my little luggage pack I'll place a clear visor (for any night riding we end up doing), a hoodie to put on should it get cold - the outter liner to my jacket - maybe the rain liner too. Extra t-shirts - toiletries, first aid kit, basic tools (the ones that come with the bike) - flash light, digital Camera (of course!).

I think thats it, man I'm so excited!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 28th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Speaking of packing, I'm just curious what you guys are planning on bringing.

I'll be riding in my typical gear - Jeans, a riding jacket, gloves, boots, helmet of course.

In my little luggage pack I'll place a clear visor (for any night riding we end up doing), a hoodie to put on should it get cold - the outter liner to my jacket - maybe the rain liner too. Extra t-shirts - toiletries, first aid kit, basic tools (the ones that come with the bike) - flash light, digital Camera (of course!).

I think thats it, man I'm so excited!

Check List here:
http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

<you can modify it too>

Clovis
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Out of curiousity, does the route take us through Pogosa Springs? I have a client that wanted me to visit them to check out their million dollar home I just refinanced.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Out of curiousity, does the route take us through Pogosa Springs? I have a client that wanted me to visit them to check out their million dollar home I just refinanced.

Yes -- but it will be very close to beer-thirty. unless your client has a fridge full of beer and enjoys the company of scooter trash I'm sure you'll be alone and we'll see you in Durango. :D

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.alpinestars.com/store/productimages/regular/222306_black.jpg

And the frickin FedEx driver had better make it in from Henderson with my new boots or....

------------- me ---------->:slap: <-------- FedEx Driver

Jun 29, 2007 3:50 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
HENDERSON, CO

3:42 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
HENDERSON, CO

Jun 28, 2007 5:48 PM
HENDERSON, CO

Jun 27, 2007 7:55 AM
Departed FedEx location
PORTLAND, OR

2:01 AM
Package data transmitted to FedEx

1:01 AM
PORTLAND, OR

Jun 26, 2007 6:00 PM
MEDFORD, OR

3:31 PM
Picked up
MEDFORD, OR

Sortarican
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
My $$ says we get rained on sometime on this trip.

Whatcha worried about Jeff, you ain't sweet enought to melt.

And the frickin FedEx driver had better make it in from Henderson with my new boots or....

Just as long as they look good with shorts.:shocked:

Have fun campers, and be safe.
Wish I was going.:(

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:16 AM
And to complete the ensemble ------ I must snag a floppy camo bush hat.

(Did I really say floppy & bush in the same sentence??)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4041/p6160050vb8.jpg

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Awww, Jeffy. I wish you were going, too. But, we'll be taking lotsa pics to share wit-cha when we return. K, sweetie?

Who me, rubbing it in? Nah...tee hee.

hugs Jeffy

Sortarican
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
We're the CSC's fashion maves my brother!:slappers:

Sortarican
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Awww, Jeffy. I wish you were going, too. But, we'll be taking lotsa pics to share wit-cha when we return. K, sweetie?
Who me, rubbing it in? Nah...tee hee.
hugs Jeffy

Thanks Sunshine.

When and where are you guys heading out from?
Might be able to meet up with ya'll and ride part way.
(Guarantee you safe passage out of town, if there's any cops around they'll just pull me over and let you guys ride on.:banghead:)

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 09:27 AM
We're the CSC's fashion maves my brother!:slappers:

Dress for suckcess! :siesta:

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Sunshine.

When and where are you guys heading out from?
Might be able to meet up with ya'll and ride part way.
(Guarantee you safe passage out of town, if there's any cops around they'll just pull me over and let you guys ride on.:banghead:)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=co&zipcode=

I think you've been there before on the "bird killa" ride. We're gonna meet there around 7:15. The gas station that's on the Northwest corner of that Kohl's parking lot is gonna be the place.

rforsythe
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I'll be bringing a first aid kit - anyone else?

I will, pretty sure Jeff has one as standard equipment as well.

As for what to bring, well, it's just an overnight trip. Clothes for Day 2 and maybe some extra stuff if you get wet, sunglasses, hat, jacket, toiletries, some tools, WATER, and gear for all types of riding conditions will probably do it, plus additional goodies if you want an iPod or something along those lines, etc.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm chompin at the bit here:

http://www.sangres.com/cimages/byways/silverthread/03-uncompahgre01.jpg

http://www.sangres.com/cimages/byways/silverthread/slumgullionearthflow04v.jpg

The Slumgullion Earth Flow
http://www.sangres.com/features/slumgullion.htm

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Oh ... and it's Alfred Packer Days this weekend too :twisted:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/graphics/photos/serial_killers/history/alfred_packer/3-2-Sketch-of-remains-as-fo.jpg

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/MEATpacker.html

http://www.lakecity.com/images/2006Bowl.gif

noskills
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM
The wife got a picture. As you can see, now I'm ready! The paint is dry and the skins are on.

For those about to ride, we salute you...:rock:

FZRguy
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Get an early start out of Durango so that you’re in Ouray by noon. McClure is great but I think that Hwy 92 is worth it, or run it out and back if you have time. Have fun and pls take note of road construction projects for me.

rybo
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Sometimes you just need to get your swerve on!

A classic Warren Miller quote.....very nice!

FZRguy
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
We stay at the Durango Lodge, which is pretty reasonable compared to most in town. Ask for Fran and tell her I sent you. If weather holds you up at South Fork, check out the Spruce Lodge B&B. Rob and Dee run the place.

FZRguy
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Durango Lodge is at 150 E 5th St, 888-440-4489 or 970-247-0955. It’s downtown about 3 blocks from the train station and close to good eats and beer! Probably a good idea to make a reservation.

firegixx600
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Bike is ready to go! I'm all packed up and ready to ride out...
Clovis, 0745 Safeway on Mesa Ridge work for ya? That's what I thought. See you tonight if you make it out or in the AM

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
:twisted:

PrillerGrrl
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Okay,

This is too funny... turns out y'all have been planning on doing what I kinda decided to do 10 min ago.

I'm game for some riding company. Are ya still meeting at Kipling/Reminton at 0730 saturday morning? Still got room?

Priller
720-933-1690

rforsythe
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Priller, we should have room, and yeah we're meeting between 7:15-7:45 in the Kohls/Starbucks parking lot... Cathy, how much space do we have in this party suite of yours? I may have one more coming too, a friend of mine who is re-assembling his TL1000 as we speak (which may also involve some late night fabrication on my part).

...I hope we have room. :shock: :lol: I'm putting the sleeping bag on the bike since that's fine with me.

rybo
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
priller...

yes....and yes.

See you in the AM!

PharmerKyle
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
So, there's still room left?

IN!

... more details coming.

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Is there still room? I dunno. The suite has 2 queen beds, 1 double, a sleeper sofa and floor space...oh, and we can get a rollaway as well. With 3 more, that makes 11 peeps. I'm gonna make a call and see what else is available unless everyone is comfy being, um "cozy".

Someone please give me a call, cuz I just saw this and haven't been online all day...aaaaaa.

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ok, so I'm waiting to hear from the Iron Horse and will let y'all know shortly, but the suite is pretty big as I've been told and if anything, some of us can take up the floor.

firegixx600
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Just looked at the weather again, High Pressure rolling in behind this line coming through tonight..looks pretty good! I don't mind rain though.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Just looked at the weather again, High Pressure rolling in behind this line coming through tonight..looks pretty good! I don't mind rain though.

We need rain before we get to Durango. 2 minutes of rain = 2 beers 4 me :drink:

Hahahahahahahahaha :siesta:

We need a couple of rooms more. People are coming out of the woodwork fo this ride :up:

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Done. We've got side-by-side family suites. We will have plenty of room guys.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Done. We've got side-by-side family suites. We will have plenty of room guys.

Very nice :up: Partay Time!

Oh ------ I don't have to submit the FedEx driver either :D

Boots are IN!!!!!!!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/DevilsThumb.jpg

firegixx600
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Very nice :up: Partay Time!
Oh ------ I don't have to submit the FedEx driver either :D
Boots are IN!!!!!!!!!

That shirt matches the boots perfectly! Those are great boots!

noskills
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
We need rain before we get to Durango. 2 minutes of rain = 2 beers 4 me :drink:

Hahahahahahahahaha :siesta:

No riding slow or extending breaks to stay in gray cloud cover. :)

rforsythe
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Boots are IN!!!!!!!!!

Nice! My IMS tank arrived a little while ago as well. Hooking that up now. :up:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Good Job :up: I even waxed the bike for the first time in five years :D Now off to the bar for some suds :twisted:

We need to take a picture of our group like this one infront of The Strator Hotel in Durango.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/June_Moon_05/e3c5f41e.jpg

mtnairlover
Sat Jun 30th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Wakey, wakey...eggs and bakey!

If any of you are reading this, this morning...

GIT YER ARSE ON YER BIKE AND LET'S RIDE!!!

woo woo:)

Clovis
Sat Jun 30th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Ryan and I will meet you in Woodland Park - My cell is 719-201-9383 if you have a hard time finding us or what not! Woohoo.

PharmerKyle
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Just wanted to drop a post and say that the last beer made it home safe in my left case. That was a wonderful trip. More to come after a little rest. WOW!

firegixx600
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Finally made it back! 823.62mi total for the Springs folks, 14hrs3min moving time, total ascent of 47,031ft, max elevation 11,320ft(according to my GPS)
Awesome trip! Enjoyed riding the great roads down in SoWeCo! Too bad I never slowed down enough to really look at the scenery:devious:
It was great to finally meet everyone! Had a lot of fun with ya'll! Until next time

firegixx600
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
Just wanted to drop a post and say that the last beer made it home safe in my left case. That was a wonderful trip. More to come after a little rest. WOW!
Thank goodness!! I bet that's some hot Busta'nut

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Maybe I'll jump back in here and edit some captions -------- maybe :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/MonarchPass.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/DevilsThumb003.jpg

PharmerKyle's thoughts on the HD product

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/Kyle.jpg

Funnison Pit Stop

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/GunnisonFule.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Spring Creek Pass (if you look close you can see the Priller and Rybo ------ oh no that's not Rybo ----- that was his evil twin :twisted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/SpringCreekPass.jpg

D&SNGR approaching Hermosa .....................................

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/DSNGR2.jpg

This Crew was THE BEST :up:.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/TheCrew.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Silverton

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/Silverton2.jpg

firegixx600
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'll try to edit the video I took and put up some pics as well...if I don't fall asleep first

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Around 860 miles here - Man, what an awesome trip, save for a few "learning opportunities" with mountain passing - No crashes, no tickets, no blow outs! Here's some pictures!

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5852/1000997la3.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5872/1001043hs3.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/118/1001016du1.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4637/1001015ov1.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8113/1001013ox1.jpg

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9470/1001012px6.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1377/1001011pz8.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1579/1001010ey0.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/2199/1001008ng2.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4928/1001007ci7.jpg

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4299/1001005jr9.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6277/1001000fi6.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4093/1001003hk0.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3151/1001004jv0.jpg

firegixx600
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5852/1000997la3.jpg

Would your wife approve of you doing that to the R1?

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9100/1001017qk5.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/209/1001018vc4.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/151/1001019pb4.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7455/1001020wn5.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3554/1001021ga8.jpg

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2549/1001022cr2.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5502/1001023cv1.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9247/1001024yi2.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4672/1001027eg8.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7449/1001029oc7.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Would your wife approve of you doing that to the R1?

Better than having The Dick In The Box :D

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3001/1001026ce7.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4672/1001027eg8.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7449/1001029oc7.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5996/1001031qo9.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9103/1001033hj8.jpg

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8121/1001036bq0.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8947/1001038yu0.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2791/1001042sa2.jpg

firegixx600
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Better than having The Dick In The Box :D
:pointlaugh:We had way too much fun! Step 1.....

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Step two... cut a hole in that box

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
I feel really OLD after that ride ---- so I thought I'd share :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/SoWeCo/TheOldCrew.jpg

mtnairlover
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
I count 4 of you so far who made it home safe...good job guys! I'm numba 5. <numba 5 is alive>

What an amazing trip! Left home in Loveland at the bright and shiney hour of 5:15 a.m. Saturday morning. Rolled into the driveway this evening at 8:30 p.m. My odometer trip B said I rode for a total of 1068 miles. That would make sense considering what you Springs guys have posted. I'm sure Scott has something different on his trip meter. <me thinks there's an electrical malfunction on his bike, but don't tell him that, he'll think I'm whacko>

My headache is finally gone, I'm a tad tired and feel my equilibrium off, I still need to get my pics posted and I do need to find my bed really soon!

Thanks so much for the fun, the amazing riding, the laughs and just plain ol' friendship.

You guys rock!

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Indeed, the trip was phenominal! We should certainly do this again next year. The ride was great albiet it tiring after awhile, but the laughter we shared at dinner and with a few beers afterwards were the best by far.

PrillerGrrl
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
must... get... painkillers... :drink:

Thanks everyone for such an awesome weekend of riding. If you ever wanna do a day ride, hit me up. :hump:

Now I need to go find me knees, arse, and wrists.

Ciao!

PrillerGrrl

mtnairlover
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Speaking of that dinner...anyone have any memorable quotes they wanna share?

Here's one: "I'll have a Jack n Coke. Oh, and since I'm on a diet, make that a diet Coke."
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/?action=view&current=jackandcoke.jpg

PrillerGrrl
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
"It's okay, honey.. there was some rubber between her and I"

PG

Clovis
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM
heh, bad picture!

rybo
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
OK....

Home safe and sound....start mileage was 12970, finish was 14093, for a grand total of 1123 for me. Now before Cathy starts jumping all up and down over my electrical malfunction, I'll have to say that the last part of this trip didn't go quite as planned for me. I had split up some gear with someone else on the trip and we didn't do a great job of communicating how and when the gear was going to get returned. End result? My keys were in my tankbag that was on another person's bike. I ended up riding a few extra miles so that I could get back into my house tonight....and can you say wind? The wind on 25 during the ride between Denver and Miklin' (ha!) was feirce.

More later, my nice comfy mattress beckons!

s

p.s. Anyone want to ride motorcycles?

mtnairlover
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM
The wind?!!!

Holy freaking cow!!! Holy, blow me over, Batman! I almost forgot.

So, yeah, I met up with that freak windstorm. One gust just about took my bike out from under me...literally! I was cruisin' along, hugging my tank cuz of the wind and a gust came up, blowing me almost into the grass median and almost taking my bike out from under me. I've been tossed around before cuz of wind, but not like that. Don't know how I saved it, but yeah, that was a "wake me up".

rforsythe
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for going, I had a great time! This will definitely need to be an annual thing. Glad to hear everyone made it back OK, I clocked 923 on my bike. All in all, the DR wasn't the fastest bike in the pack, but I actually was pretty comfortable - so much that I even took it back out after I got home to go watch the Glendale fireworks. Corbin = :up:, and the Throttle Rocker = :up: once it's adjusted. Windscreen helped a lot but made more noise in the lid, so I will need to mess with that. iPod was good, earbuds were not so good. I had to put up with the wind noise to get music, but oh well.

Many memories from the weekend, and way too many good quotes. :lol: But first, sleep. I was reasonably awake a little while ago, but just kind of hit the point where I need to go be unconscious now. :)

I'm glad things went so well this weekend! You all were great to ride with.

firegixx600
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
"Can I get 3 Diet Coke's?" I must say desert was awesome with a side of sopapilla! That's some good bee shitt!

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM
You can't quote this:

Jeep full of party down Blond Bimbos

400 pound biker on the sparklin Harley with the doo rag headgear :D

rybo
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
You can't quote this:

Jeep full of party down Blond Bimbos

Sure you can "Girls just wanna have fun...."

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
heh, bad picture!

Naw...good picture, good pic!

Here's s'more.

BTW, Jeff, good job on picking all those restaurants. Talk about unique lil places. What was the name of the first one on Saturday when we stopped for lunch? Does anyone remember their celebrity name? I was Heather Graham.

Not much seating to be found, but the company made up for it...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/lunchbreak.jpg

Dinner was pretty good, too. I've had good salads and bad salads before, but the one I had at Francisco's in Durango ranks up there with the good.

I dunno, but I think the day long of riding and a lil :drink:and everything came out waaaay funny at dinnertime...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/toofunny.jpg

Everyone should try breakfast at the Cow Palace in Silverton. You can even leave your rendition of cowdom on a napkin, which will then be proudly displayed over the order counter.

Hmmm...d'ya think maybe a lil intervention kept us all upright on this ride?
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/breakfastinsilverton.jpg

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
While it wasn't the most luxurious of accommodations, it was a roof over our heads and something to sleep on, and was enough to leave an impression...The Iron Horse Inn of Durango...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/ironhorse.jpg

Gotcha! No, I got you!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/duallingcameras.jpg

I can't talk right now, I'm eating! Sheesh! Catch me when I'm at my best. D'oh...too late...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/fullmouths.jpg

Guess where this is?
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/monarchpassprlrgrl.jpg

All lined up and everywhere to go...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/monarchpass.jpg

Just wanna emphasize my fave quote right now, cuz it certainly fits the time spent during this past weekend. Again, thanks guys!..."A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything". — Laurence Sterne

Sortarican
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear you all had a safe run.
Definitely looks like you guys had a ball.
I'm officially jealous.:banghead:

Cathy,
Sorry I didn't hook up with you guys for the ride out of town.
On the way home Friday the Triumph started overheating.
Took care of it but didn't quit trust it for a long run till I got a couple short runs in on it.

BTW,
Next time in Durango try a place call Sweeney's Grubsteak.
(North side of town just off 550)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Naw...good picture, good pic!

Here's s'more.

BTW, Jeff, good job on picking all those restaurants. Talk about unique lil places. What was the name of the first one on Saturday when we stopped for lunch? Does anyone remember their celebrity name? I was Heather Graham.

Not much seating to be found, but the company made up for it...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/lunchbreak.jpg

Dinner was pretty good, too. I've had good salads and bad salads before, but the one I had at Francisco's in Durango ranks up there with the good.

I dunno, but I think the day long of riding and a lil :drink:and everything came out waaaay funny at dinnertime...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/toofunny.jpg

Everyone should try breakfast at the Cow Palace in Silverton. You can even leave your rendition of cowdom on a napkin, which will then be proudly displayed over the order counter.

Hmmm...d'ya think maybe a lil intervention kept us all upright on this ride?
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/breakfastinsilverton.jpg

The walk-up hamburger joint in BV is called 'K's". I was Louis Armstrong :headbang:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM

http://www.zzrbikes.com/images/store/product/barnett/frictionplates_lg.gif

http://www.zzrbikes.com/images/store/product/barnett/barnett_spring_lg.gif

http://www.zzrbikes.com/images/store/product/kawasaki/steelplate_sm.gif

Soon ................................. very soon :twisted:

rybo
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Don't forget these...

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Don't forget these...

Good! And it's in a LARGE SACK :D

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Your favorites twisties and favorite scenic roads?

Here's a couple of reminders of the routes we took...

twisties:

Hwy 67 - between Littleton and Woodland Park
Hwy 50 - Monarch Pass
Hwy 149 - between Lake City and South Fork along the Rio Grande River
Hwy 160 - Wolf Creek Pass
Hwy 550 - between Durango and Ouray
Hwy 92 - North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

I'm having a hard time chosing between the nice long sweeping curves of Wolf Creek Pass and the North Rim ride. Right now, because the construction is complete on Wolf Creek and because we didn't have a whole lot of traffic and because the time of day we were up there and the lack of sun beating down on us, I'm gonna have to say that Wolf Creek was my fave. The North Rim, with its many tight twists still ranks up there, oh and the lack of traffic was an added bonus as well, but I seemed to be a tad more shakey on that run than on Wolf Creek.

scenery:

Same as above, but I'm gonna include the road between Pagosa Springs and Durango as well, because for me, depending on the time of day, the scenery on that road still makes me glad I live in this state.

As far as scenery is concerned, like I said, depending on time of day, the clarity of the sky and the addition of some really poofy clouds and you've got the makings of some awesome of photos.

Early mornings in Durango, when the sun is rising and hitting the tops of the mountainsides along with the addition of the oranges and reds of the rocks and I can stare and be happy for a bit. The Million Dollar Highway/San Juan Scenic Byway going down into Ouray really does remind me of the Swiss Alps, and not just cuz the sign coming into Ouray says "Little Switzerland". The Black Canyon of the Gunnison also ranks up there with its massive Aspen groves and steep drops along the black rocks of the canyon walls down to the Gunnison River below. I'm glad the pine beetles have not gotten as far south as that part of Colorado, cuz I don't think the scenery would have struck me as much as it did. Wolf Creek Pass was also amazing as far as scenery is concerned. I'm glad we were there during the latter part of the day, because the rain clouds had been by, cooling the temp just a bit and also because the size of those clouds made for some pretty backdrops.

I dunno, I guess I'm just a bit into the nature stuff, but I don't think we could have picked a better time or been down in those parts of Colorado at a better time. Of course, in the end, it's all subjective anyways.

firegixx600
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'd have to say that Wolf Creek was the best because of the triple digit sweepers(did I say that out loud?). Monarch was a close second both times, but I believe we hit it a lot faster coming back home...the popo didn't seem to mind us going just a little fast:devious:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
My ride from Montrose back over Cierro Summit and Monarch was spectacular (considering). I hit all of the great twisties sans traffic. I think I passed only three vehicles on the eastbound side of Monarch :D. I then hit Leadville and Fremont Pass to Eisenhower Tunnel. I 70 sucked at US 40 as usual :down:

It is really good to know that:

10 riders = 0 tickets + 0 crashes / 1000 + miles

rforsythe
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Good! And it's in a LARGE SACK :D

But are they salty?

noskills
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Wow, I don't know how you guys got the energy to post up after the ride. I got home and crashed for 11 hours. I've never ridden that many miles in the heat. It sure takes alot out of you and talk about a chafed ass. This won't happen again because my Anti Monkey Butt powder is on its way.

Toward the end, even though I wanted to say NO, this quote got me home.
"Anyone want to ride motorcycles?"

This quote gave me sight. Thanks
"Whose got bugs?"

Just a few pics.
First stop, I think.?
Don't let Scott tell you he doesn't put a knee down in the street.
I think you got me first.
This isn't Disney Land?

And the man who started it all... I guess we may never know who that is.

Thank you all, I had a great time! I'm already looking forward to next year.

Clovis
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Go team power ranger!

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I've had it ..................................... I'm going back :twisted:

in August :D

txrc51fatboy
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
once it begins to cool down, this ride needs to be reran. this time with me

rforsythe
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
It will be done again!

...In 2008! :D

txrc51fatboy
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
well then i guess i have a year to practice my mountain skills

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:15 AM
You need MAD SKILLZ and lots-o ANGRY MONEY to do this ride yo :headbang:

txrc51fatboy
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
skillz are getting better in the mountains.
money is not a problem, i have more of it than brains

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
skillz are getting better in the mountains.
money is not a problem, i have more of it than brains

That's a totally scary thought.

txrc51fatboy
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
maybe that was not worded properly, it sounded right when i thought it.
hehehe

my brain works wonderfuly when im on my bike.

PharmerKyle
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
I lost my old photo hosting service and am going to get a smugmug account soon. Until then, here's a story I'm sure you'll really like.

I was a little concerned about the stretch of 550 between Silverton & Ouray. The last time I rode that piece, traffic was really slow & heavy. My hands hurt just thinking about it. While everyone else decided to manage their hangovers & stomachs in Silverton, RYBO and I headed out and left word with Molly to meet us at the Shell in Ridgeway.

It was a good call. Imagine two big boned sport tourers loaded up like the space shuttle blasting through the mountains. We had the road to ourselves (pic proof to follow later). I was just a little too busy riding to take many shots, but you could randomly fire a camera blindfolded in that area and find good scenery. The few cages we encountered were quick to let us by.

I called my wife for an update once we got to 2nd breakfast in Ridgeway. My wife shared an exchange with my daughter (2&1/2) and said I should pass it on.

We hardly ever let her watch TV in the morning. Sometimes when there's just 1 parent at home, you just have to so you can get everybody ready.

Danielle: Do you want to watch TV this morning?
Keely: Where's my dada?
D: He's out riding motorcycles today.
K: Dada ride the black bike?
D: No.
K: Dada ride the BabyDuc?
D: No.
K: Dada rid the yellow bike?
D: Dad is riding Mama's bike.
K: (Making 2.5 Y.O. MC noises) b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b--b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-!
D: Yes, like that. Do you want to watch TV?
K: Yeah!
D: Do you want to watch balloons? (sunrise earth on HD- perfect AM choice)
K: I wanna watch motorcycles!

They ended up watching day 2 AMA superbikes in UT again together.
RYBO remarked that I need to pick up a 125 and a manual soon.

rforsythe
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
You need MAD SKILLZ and lots-o ANGRY MONEY to do this ride yo :headbang:

Not to mention a big SACK O NUTS, and a dick in a box! Fo shizzle!

rybo
Tue Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
10 riders = 0 tickets + 0 crashes / 1000 + miles

This is how group rides SHOULD go down! Collectively we clocked 10,000 miles....halfway around the world. I had a great time and can't wait for next year.

s