PDA

View Full Version : Layers of Wet

Jason ON
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
I had to go to Boulder today and decided to take the bike. Sure all the stations predicted rain, but when are they ever right?

So, it's 7:30PM and it's time to come back to the Tech Center when I look out the window and notice all the parking lots and roads are wet.

Okay, it must have sprinkled.

I go outside and sure enough it's sprinkling. But -- whatever, I've ridden in the rain before.

Forty miles from Boulder to my house and 40 miles of sprinkle/rain/sprinkle. I got home and was soaked: my jacket and shirt, jeans, shoes and socks all soaked. Not to mention freezing.

They really need wipers for visors.

I was laughing the whole time at my situation.

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Goodtimes goodtimes
try some rainx or the like and look to each side for second and the drops fly off

rider955i
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM
+1 rain x

rforsythe
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Could be worse dude, it is coming down in sheets at my house and blowing sideways right now.

Sortarican
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM
...Forty miles from Boulder to my house and 40 miles of sprinkle/rain/sprinkle. I got home and was soaked: my jacket and shirt, jeans, shoes and socks all soaked. Not to mention freezing.....

Like my Dear old Grandma used to say:
"Quit your bitching, you're not sweet enough to melt."

Devaclis
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
It is good to see people still enjoy riding enough to endure a little inconvenience or two just to be on two wheels :)

Kudos!

firegixx600
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I was out riding in the rain last night! I opted for the waterproof setup, but it was pretty cold! People were lookin at me like I was crazy and I think i finally got my dealer tag completely soakin' wet...yay me!

Devaclis
Tue Apr 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM
hit up www.denniskirk.com for some great deals on cold and wet weather riding gear. I got some great snowmobile gloves there and they rocked!

bluedogok
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I may have changed my mind about wet riding after going down last Sunday. I always had a don't leave when it is raining rule but if I get caught out in it, so be it. I may modify that in the near future.

Did a 450 mile ride and all but the first 5 miles and about 100 miles in the middle of it was in the wet varying from drizzle to downpours. I had an uneasy feeling before leaving the house, but since I was the one who organized the ride I felt it my "duty" to go. The weather people had all said the night before that it was going burn off about 9am and when we did the ride last December it burned off about 1pm so we thought it would be alright. I should have paid attention to the "feeling" this time. I had also pulled all of my cold gear out of the topcase the night before since it was suppose to be in the 80's that afternoon. Another pair of weather gloves would have been nice after my "water-resistant gloves" were soaked half way through.

About 20 miles from home it was getting dark, raining harder, already tired and wet and on an unfamiliar road I go down. It was on a uphill left curve into a right hand curve at the base of the hill, I thought I was going slow enough but it surprised me and I low-sided on the right hand turn at about 20-25 mph on wet chip seal doing a belly flop onto the paving and sliding into into the mud. The friend I was riding with helped me get the bike out of a barbed wire fence and recover the topbox from behind the fence. I checked to make everything worked, pulled away the broken right side bodywork, gathered up a few parts worth saving and headed home.

I hate that chip seal crap, that is one thing that I did not see up there last summer and will not miss about Texas, it is a lousy excuse for paving. It seemed like every road that Snowman led us on up there was great asphalt instead of the cheese grater crap they do down here.